Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

GreyViper

Prophet
Well it does feel somewhat less toxic, you don't hear or read many Cuka Blat phrases. Although I have been getting interesting responses "Za svobody Ukraine Tovarish".
To be honest game is bit fast paced to type much or have long conversation.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
He's trying to be a buttplug in every orifice of this gangbanged thread. Whenever somebody criticizes the game, it's like rattling an orangutan's cage - he gets himself into panic fit and starts throwing his own feces with his bare hands.

The funny thing is how he says the Hots community is less toxic than lol's/dota's, but he's literally one of the most obnoxious little brats I've ever seen in all mobas.

Yet here you are, in this thread, being toxic towards this game and the players that play it. Lel, double standard much.

It is true, through. Whenever I see faggots like you, hating on a game for no reason, no good reason other than just empty hate and retarded arguments, I tend to get defensive about it, because it deserves more than just empty blind hate from a kid like you. so theres that.

Also, you don't know me. And you don't know how I play mobas.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
He's trying to be a buttplug in every orifice of this gangbanged thread. Whenever somebody criticizes the game, it's like rattling an orangutan's cage - he gets himself into panic fit and starts throwing his own feces with his bare hands.

The funny thing is how he says the Hots community is less toxic than lol's/dota's, but he's literally one of the most obnoxious little brats I've ever seen in all mobas.

The irony of being Brenner. But She's not anything out of the ordinary. If you've played a moba even just once then chances are pretty high that you've played with a Brenner.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Codexers complaining about toxicity...

:nocountryforshitposters::hmmm:

If you fucking faggots, weren't so goddamn hateful all the time, this thread wouldn't even have taken off.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, other than just vile pure negative bullshit, you spew out every day.

Then keep your fucking mouth shut.

And that goes especially for FagElf and that downs inflicted kid, Metro.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Overall I really don't find this place all too toxic. What the happens here is mostly fair ...with ball breaking (often good natured).
The difference is the tantrums and notice that I keep using the word "tantrum" because it sums up the oily rage experienced from your typical MOBA player. Freakouts here are of a different nature; usually.

As I've said I like playing it but also don't have a problem with someone saying it's stupid and I'm a fag for liking it. Mostly because it's true. So what?
I'm not going to offer any excuses for the pulp, despite all my better senses, I take amusement in. "Odds are something you like very much sucks" - Codex proverb.

My only run in with a MOBA before was years back and was only for a week at that. I found it boring and repetitive to say the least. Suffice to say that short time left a bad enough taste with me that when the same friend who urged me to try League of Legends asked me to give Heroes a shot I wasn't too eager... but the friend lives across the country now so it might be worth a shot to and keep in touch while doing it.
'Trimming the fat' is a good way to put it and exactly why I've taken to the game.

Heroes doesn't meet the deep and meaningful smartguy gameplay tactics of other MOBAs? hah Oh no! I can't have a laundry list of items and time bloat? Good!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Look..Try and read this, and UNDERSTAND what I'm trying to teach and explain to you.

Blizzard cut the laning phase from the design of HOTS. And if you stop all your precious analysis there, you'd be right at complaining that they are removing too many things. But the proper way to look at it is: - what did they replace it with?

In LoL/Dota2, the laning phase lasts a good long while. There's a dance in each lane, all about last hitting, denying, a hero-on-hero tug of war. That's fine, if you like that sort of thing. What Heroes did, though, is replace that with a game where the laning phase disappears, but laning doesn't. Instead of laning being a thing you do for the first 15 minutes, laning becomes a thing you do periodically throughout the entire game, but always in competition with other strategic objectives.

One of the best ways to get an early lead is to maintain better lane soak than your opponents, while still contesting objectives. You're right that the removal of the last hitting dance takes away an opportunity to demonstrate skill in last hitting, but in its place you have the strategic decision making of how long to stay in lanes, who to send to objectives, which heroes to rotate to snag kills, and how to make on-the-fly decisions about what to do and where. It's a dynamic, decision-based game, rather than a static game of how well you can pick off low-health creeps.

You will not convince me that the LoL/Dota2-style last hitting dance for 15 minutes requires more skill than the coordination required to establish an early lead in Heroes. Because doing well in the former is only about individual skill, whereas the latter requires both individual skill as well as a global, map-wide coordination among all five team members.

If you try to call that simple, then you're just not recognizing how difficult it actually is.

Regarding your no "depth" and "complexity" and simpler gameplay arguments:

The question is whether extra mechanics (last hitting, items, wards, etc).. actually increase depth and provide compelling gameplay. Sure, we could arbitrarily increase the complexity, but that's artificial difficulty. I mean we could require you to solve a nonlinear differential equation before you get to issue an attack command, and the game would be harder. But it wouldn't be better.

Harder is not always better, and easier is not always worse. Stripping away awkward, counterintuitive mechanics allows for a player's attention to be focused on things that actually matter: strategic play, tactical decision making, split-second adjustments and coordination.

Complexity is only good if it makes the actual result better. Last hitting is not a valuable skill.

And, again, if this game is so easy, why aren't you guys on some pro-team winning money for playing? There's like 500 thousand dollars to be made, surely you would want that money, if you you think this game is so fucking easy and simple? Right? RIGHT? :D

Being easily accessible to casual players lowers the skill floor. It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the skill ceiling.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Eh was that for me?

If so, you'll have to be patient and explain to me again, use smaller words and gentle language (remember I get awful sore from the TOXIC ).

abija

Prophet
You will not convince me that the LoL/Dota2-style last hitting dance for 15 minutes requires more skill than the coordination required to establish an early lead in Heroes. Because doing well in the former is only about individual skill, whereas the latter requires both individual skill as well as a global, map-wide coordination among all five team members.
If you think that's all DOTA 2's early game is about there's obviously no convincing you.
That doesn't mean you are right and your imbecility shouldn't be pointed out.

GrainWetski

Arcane
HotS is the most simplistic game in the genre. Skill ceiling is about 698908888432490325986989088884324903259869890888843249032598KM below DOTA 2.

There's a reason the competitive scene is filled with rejects from good games.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The lack of any good arguments or posts from the haters, is severely depressing in dis thread.

Oh well. Arm-chair fags gon' arm-chair. :D :D :D :D

abija

Prophet
What arguments can one use when you ignore/have no idea about what happens in the games you compare HotS with?
The only one left is that you are ignorant.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
What arguments can one use when you ignore/have no idea about what happens in the games you compare HotS with?

As I've told you 100 times.

I've probably played dota, dota 2 LoL and HoN, that is, ALL the fucking biggest mobas in the world, years and YEARS on end, more than you. So yes, I would know a fair bit about what goes on in all these games. As I've spent 3-4 posts explaining to you, how HOTS differs, and in a better fresher way. But you don't seem to read what I post, because you're an ignorant fuck. So yeah.

I was top players in dota 1 and HoN, so I know all about the old systems. And they suck. HOTS is the new shit. The next generation. Deal with it.

Ironically, I doubt any of you in this thread, has played more than a few hours of dota, HoN or league, let alone even 5 minutes of HOTS. Because you would know then, how much bullshit you spew out here :)

You just come in here, and mouth off, project opinions of other "cool kids", that you heard around the block. Or from any of your 'sperger friends.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Best part about HotS is that some fools paid to play it.
The lack of any good arguments or posts from the haters, is severely depressing in dis thread.

Oh well. Arm-chair fags gon' arm-chair. :D :D :D :D
So you've reached the point where you comment your own posts thinking they're from someone else?

The majority of League and dota players pay for shit too, you dumb fuck. It's called micro-transactional business models, look it up. It works. If the game is good.

abija

Prophet

I've probably played dota, dota 2 LoL and HoN, that is, ALL the fucking biggest mobas in the world, years and YEARS on end, more than you. So yes, I would know a fair bit about what goes on in all these games. As I've spent 3-4 posts explaining to you, how HOTS differs, and in a better fresher way. But you don't seem to read what I post, because you're an ignorant fuck. So yeah.

I was top players in dota 1 and HoN, so I know all about the old systems. And they suck. HOTS is the new shit. The next generation. Deal with it.

Ironically, I doubt any of you in this thread, has played more than a few hours of dota, HoN or league, let alone even 5 minutes of HOTS. Because you would know then, how much bullshit you spew out here :)

You just come in here, and mouth off, project opinions of other "cool kids", that you heard around the block. Or from any of your 'sperger friends.

So what happened with gank rotations, jungle control, rune control and vision battle ?
Those are all big parts of early game dota yet you ignore them which means you either
- didn't play as much dota/hon as you say
- you are deliberately ignoring them to paint HotS way better than it is.

So which is it, casual scrub or shameless shill?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

So what happened with gank rotations, jungle control, rune control and vision battle ?
Those are all big parts of early game dota yet you ignore them which means you either
- didn't play as much dota/hon as you say
- you are deliberately ignoring them to paint HotS way better than it is.

So which is it, casual scrub or shameless shill?

I never said boring last hitting was the "ONLY" fucking thing going on early game dota, but it's the major part of it yeah, since most people are stuck in laning phases for 0-15 minutes. That's way too long.

- There's gank rotations in HOTS too, since alot of heroes can roam and gank different lanes, depending on the map. I already covered that in my previous post. Alot of heroes fill many different roles, and often you switch fast, between ganks, xp, ganks, camps, xp. It's very difficult and cool to pull off.

- Jungle control = Neutral camp control. ALSO, a big part of HOTS. You can choose to lane, or you could choose to focus on the mercs. There are several heroes that specialize in killing neutral camps fast. It's all possible.

- Rune control, that much is true. But as with last hitting, it's a dumb mechanic, and it can be avoided. It has too much randomness to it, and I don't like that. Skill is about pure skill, not RNG runes. There's plenty to fight over, other than runes in HOTS. But instead of rune control, you have map objectives. You have to control those.

- Vision in battle is something that is heavily a part of HOTS and very important. Be it watchtower control, juking in bushes with vision and stealth, or picking talents that offer vision like the scout drone.. akin to "wards". Some heroes even have inherent abilities that give vision.
Without vision, you are very much at danger. So that's a big part of HOTS too.

So which is it?

I say HOTS is by far the better game. Like I've explained countless times. It's got all the good things from other MOBAS, and none of the bad and boring ones. GG.

Blizzard took the best parts and threw out the worst parts. Created something special and fun and good.

They did it with Hearthstone, too.

THey did it with World of Warcraft, they triumph all the genres, everytime they release somethring new.

IT'S FUN ---AND--- challenging.

And people want FUN + challenging. It's a winning combo

Last edited by a moderator:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Blizzard takes away everything remotely complex about games in certain genres to appeal to as many people as possible. You don't have to make shit up just because you're part of that audience.

There's nothing remotely challenging in HotS. Such is the case with LoL and Smite(and countless other even worse games in the genre) too, but to a much lesser extent. You'd know that if you actually played DotA to any extent whatsoever.

abija

Prophet
I never said boring last hitting was the "ONLY" fucking thing going on early game dota

Yeah you did.

You're right that the removal of the last hitting dance takes away an opportunity to demonstrate skill in last hitting, but in its place you have the strategic decision making of how long to stay in lanes, who to send to objectives, which heroes to rotate to snag kills, and how to make on-the-fly decisions about what to do and where. It's a dynamic, decision-based game, rather than a static game of how well you can pick off low-health creeps.

This implies dota doesn't have other objectives than last hitting creeps in lane, everyone stays a fixed amount of time in lane, no hero rotations, no decisions about what to do and where. You basically said early game dota is only about the mechanical skill in last hitting. Blatant lie (shill) or ignorance (casual scrub).

GreyViper

Prophet
Is this game any good?

I just got 4 closed beta keys in an e-mail from Blizzard.
More fun the Heartstone, but opinions differ as you can see by this thread. If you do start, I recommend saving the gold and trying out the heroes before you buy your 1st hero. I made the mistake of buying Raynor as my first hero. Problem is hes boring. Still ill lvl him to 10 to get his veteran skin that looks nice. Problem is, he can be easy and boring hero to play. So I would recommend the the female barbarian Sonya or the witch doctor.

Wild Slop

Arcane
There worse ones to blow you gold on. Raynor makes for a good selection of the required 10 owned characters if you are trying to get into ranked, I think he is cheap too. Then again seeing as ranked is just for personal glory and doesn't give extra gold or XP than quick matching it, there should but no real rush for that.

Gregz after you hit me up I can be your guide... but the game is simple enough that shouldn't be an issue. I still recommend that each 1st play with a given hero be in practice or co-op though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom