Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Parsifarka

Arcane
Second part has been released. In HC some say the next thing will be an expansion with a dwarf faction -a last desperate milking effort, probably the last thing Ubi will do to M&M in a long time.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Everyone has probably uninstalled HoMM 7 by now, but, in addition to another patch, they just released a freeLC campaign (first of two) set in the world of HoMM 4 and MM 9 based on some unused material by HoMM 4's original writer (interview here). I believe the new campaign features HoMM 4 music, which is the best score in the series. HoMM 4's writing is also the best in the series, although that's not a particularly high hurdle to jump.

writing in a HOMM game:lol:

Why would one ever mention that

Archibald

Arcane
Nothing wrong with mentioning HoMM4's writing, it was one of the better ones in strategy genre and much better than good chunk of crpg's.

Cadmus

Arcane
I went through the trouble of downloading those 500 GBs of files, updating with the 30 patches and played one game that bored me out of my mind.
Revisited the game today to play another game - everything going fine, I'm exploring exploring and suddenly the enemy hero runs from my fog of war and makes a beeline for my castle across 5 screens and there's nothing I can do to stop him, game over.
Awesome AI, so real. He had no way of knowing where my castle was, he ran almost 2x faster than my hero and had more units than me.

I don't know, the game seems boring. The art style is as shit as ever, it runs like piece of shit while being as ugly as all the previous nuHeroes.
I learned the Entangle spell but it doesn't actually Entangle the enemy unit, it makes it run slower. This is the new Ubisoft Heroes in a nutshell. Was Sawyer a stretch goal in their campaign?

The combat takes ages cuz of the shit animation that have long frames of nothing happening. I guess there's an option to not wait for animations in the menu but in my grand 2 games I didn't bother trying it.
The skill wheel might just be the most retarded thing ever, even topping the Tears system. I love upgrading my skills with meaningless +5 bonuses!!!

The combat screen looks as shit as ever, too, all the units are a muddy blurred mess because we needed 3D in our top down isometric turn based strategy.
Horrible, impotent sound effects.

Insanely shit town building screen, designed by an autist. It just reeks of "not enough funds to do it properly" but I don't give a shit about their financial problems, I could take their pictures and rearange them in excel to make it look less confusing and shitty.
HP bloated creatures like in all the nuHeroes, fuck that shit.
Heal ressurrects units again, fuck that shit, now you gotta play like an obsessive asshole and try to heal all your units before the combat ends because the enemy AI will roflstomp you with tons of perfectly healthy stacks.

It's all shit. Shit music, shit menus, shit UI design, shit nested menus in nested menus. Shit performance, shit graphics. Shit art direction. The overland map looks shit. Insanely shit camera controls in combat. Shit square grid instead of hexagon grid. I hope in 20 years we get a series reboot from some company that isn't a bunch of retarded cocksuckers.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You know, if someone told me 15 years ago "some time in the future there will be a new HoMM game and you won't even try it once in the first six months after its release" I wouldn't know whether to consider him a complete moron or kick him in the balls (probably both). And yet here we are.

Cadmus

Arcane
You know, if someone told me 15 years ago "some time in the future there will be a new HoMM game and you won't even try it once in the first six months after its release" I wouldn't know whether to consider him a complete moron or kick him in the balls (probably both). And yet here we are.
Exactly, it's unbelievably sad. This used to be one of the best series ever and now I honestly don't give a shit about it.
Heal all your units..? What exactly does that mean.
Well I think that's what happens. Honestly I didn't really bother with anything so I might be getting it wrong but in the previous 2 games heal resurrects dead units and I think here it does too.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Only HOMM games I've played are HOMM3 and HOMM5. 5 seemed pretty shitty compared to 3. I blame Blizzard for creating the colorful, cartoonesque 3D graphics trend that every fucker seems to copy ever since Warcraft 3.

Alex

Arcane
Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic_Taistelu.jpg

The original game was a bit cartoony too. In fact more cartoony than any of the others, but I like how it looked.

Gerrard

Arcane
It was, but was that a deliberate design choice, or one dictated by lack of talent clearly apparent from all creatures looking like they were drawn in the back of someone's notebook in 6th grade?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Cartoony or not, I don't see those soldiers' forearms 10 times thicker than their thighs and their boots like the mob put their feet in concrete slabs then tossed them off the bridge.

Aside from color there is proportions, too.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic_Taistelu.jpg

The original game was a bit cartoony too. In fact more cartoony than any of the others, but I like how it looked.
2d cartoony was cool, Blizzard created the age of low poly, low resolution texture 3d graphics that somehow became popular on the usual shovelware factories out there. I don't know why people think shitty 3d graphics is any better than well done 2d.

Archibald

Arcane
5 will all expansions is okay, not as good as 3, but I'd say a bit more enjoyable than 2/4. Popular consensus on 6-7 is that they should be killed with fire.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
last homm i played was 4, thought it was shit but liked 1/2/3

are 5/6/7 even good ?

Look, don't wanna be a shit-soul here, maybe they have some good gameplay elements. Dunno. 5 was borderline decent in turns of gameplay, but shitty overall due to the aforementioned art style.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Standalone expansion is coming: http://store.steampowered.com/app/445310/

Trial by Fire recounts the growing tensions between the Holy Griffin Empire and its neighboring Dwarven kingdom of Grimheim through a brand new and epic story.

New content & original tactics
Play two original and thrilling campaigns starring the recently crowned emperor Ivan and legendary Dwarven heroes. Enjoy improved mechanics and extra content including additional Skirmish maps and bonus Scenario maps written by Terry B. Ray, Heroes IV’s celebrated writer.

Experience the unique mix of Turn-Based Strategy and RPG
Explore and conquer an enchanted world, develop and manage your economy, lead armies of legendary creatures to battle, build up Heroes of Might & Magic with hundreds of uncanny abilities and powerful artifacts.

Rediscover the richness of the Might & Magic Universe
Take control of a full new lineup of charismatic heroes and iconic creatures such as Fire Giants, Rune Priests and Red Dragons. With dozens of new artifacts, abilities and achievements. Explore a unique mountain environment with its new town screen and buildings set.

Trial by Fire is also a standalone expansion, an ideal way for newcomers and fans of previous entries to enjoy the authentic Might & Magic Heroes experience.

Archibald

Arcane
So lets make a standalone expansion so that we can justify higher price tag for loyal customers...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom