Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Suicidal

Arcane
I always thought Dungeon was the shittiest faction of H5 because of how useless some of their units were and while their offensive spells are a lot more powerful than what you can get in H3 they still scale quite poorly compared to army buffs.

6 races planned. Haven, Academy, Stronghold and Necropolis is in. They are going to release 2 vote losers with DLCs methinks.

So at some point will be getting all of the 'core' races? Well then it already is better than H6.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe the Heroes 7 release will coincide with a final patch for the game breaking bugs in Heroes 6.

I wouldn't mind that if they add all the other races first.

Yeah, they can implement Sanctuary after they've put in both versions of the Dungeon faction.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
6 races planned. Haven, Academy, Stronghold and Necropolis is in. They are going to release 2 vote losers with DLCs methinks.

It's sad that so many people are willing to buy incomplete games. It only encourages the Ubisofts of the world to continue their slimy ways.
Why is it that the average gamer, even those who play turn based strategy, have the patience of a four year old on Christmas eve/day?

Martius

Liturgist
Specially in these days of sales. I have HoMM5 in some complete edition with both expansion. Same with 6, I just bought it when it was cheap on sale. Patience is virtue, not all people have it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's sad that so many people are willing to buy incomplete games. It only encourages the Ubisofts of the world to continue their slimy ways.

Normally I'd agree, but 6 races in a strategy game sounds more than fine to me. Even if there could be more according to lore.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Edit: I actually liked a lot stuff about 5th game. Skill wheel and race specific skills were great. But moral was really overpowered in that game. I can easly crush my op.with negative moral inflicting necro as long as they are alive.
I think HeroesV is the most mechanically developed of the series. The combat ATB is really great and its the one thing they should have kept for all subsequent entries into the series.

The skillwheel was a cool idea, but the execution was iffy. There was no (in-game) documentation of it, the "ultimate" skills were way to restrictive and "hit and miss"y, and a few powerful talents had 2 hard to get skills as a prerequisite, making hero development more swingy than optimal. It's nothing you couldn't fix though, and it was massively improved in the final expansion. Double upgadres for all creatures was really cool too, but it should be considered expansionfodder imo, not something you put in the base game.

Balance was kinda wonly yeah. I'm told you can win any fight against critters by just stealthing the Dungeon T1 unit and regular attacking with the hero until everything is dead.

rvm1975

Educated
Town screen

academy_townscreen_1080p.jpg

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The skillwheel was a cool idea, but the execution was iffy. There was no (in-game) documentation of it, the "ultimate" skills were way to restrictive and "hit and miss"y, and a few powerful talents had 2 hard to get skills as a prerequisite, making hero development more swingy than optimal. It's nothing you couldn't fix though, and it was massively improved in the final expansion. Double upgadres for all creatures was really cool too, but it should be considered expansionfodder imo, not something you put in the base game.

Balance was kinda wonly yeah. I'm told you can win any fight against critters by just stealthing the Dungeon T1 unit and regular attacking with the hero until everything is dead.
Yep, the skill system in V was a good idea with mediocre execution, reaching the ultimate skills was basically impossible on single scenarios and it was literally impossible for some heroes (they started with wrong skill set) which was pretty retarded.

As for the Dungeon T1 unit (stalkers?) it was even more ridiculous at the start because you could combine these units with a hero that poisoned enemy stacks at the start of the combat. He was like the ultimate creeping cheese. Later on they (partially) fixed that so that enemies actively searched for your stack(s) instead of just standing in place and dying.

One of the things I particularly disliked about V and that's rarely mentioned is the town level gimmick. I guess it was supposed to stop people from rushing units, but it mostly killed variety of build ups and tactics, especially on higher difficulties.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I liked town levels actaully. It wasn't a perfect implementation, but it was better than rushing for Capitol Week one every game :M

I think it was supposed to make a trade off between depth and breadth(and in some cases like necro town, it worked pretty well). You want this unit? Sure, bet then you have to skip this other one, or delay getting the better stuff and better money generation. But for some of the towns it really didn't work at all, because you'd always take the same route.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, rushing capitol week one was only possible on normal/easy, where build up order had basically no meaning, you could afford everything anyway and people had their main castles complete by week 3 tops. On higher difficulty level there were actually some choices (and consequences) and the town level screwed that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What are you talking about J_C? It looks like Heroes VI :rpgcodex:

Man, someone got my hopes up that they were going back to Heroes V. Best Heroes game save 3, and even that's arguable.

EDIT: UUUUUUUUUUURGH, flanking boni in Heroes? No fucking thanks.

Malaphusis

Literate
Looks like they're keeping the seven schools of magic in the game from Heroes VI and MMXL (fire/water/air/earth/light/dark/primordial) and their accompanying spells. Spam Earth Elemental w/stacked regeneration casts and it's GG.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Man, someone got my hopes up that they were going back to Heroes V. Best Heroes game save 3, and even that's arguable.

Sorry, I didn't play 6, just saw videos about it. The fact that it has less oversaturated and cartoony graphics, and more resources gives me hope.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Sorry, I didn't play 6, just saw videos about it. The fact that it has less oversaturated and cartoony graphics, and more resources gives me hope.
Looks like this will be the second worst installment in the series. They pretty much only seem to have "unstreamlined" some of homm6s worst decisions, but it still looks baed. Town screen looked generic, animations looked horribly floaty and unconnected, the floating text in combat makes me feel bad etc.

Malaphusis

Literate

Looks like this will be the second worst installment in the series. They pretty much only seem to have "unstreamlined" some of homm6s worst decisions, but it still looks baed. Town screen looked generic, animations looked horribly floaty and unconnected, the floating text in combat makes me feel bad etc.

The ugly floating combat text is straight out of HOMM5...of all the things they could have retained :|

Suicidal

Arcane
Damn this does look a lot like 6. I don't get it. Do the developers of these games do any sort of research at all? If you look at any HoMM forum 3 and 5 are popularly considered to be the best of them all (3 especially, but a lot of people like 5 as well). 6 is often considered to be the equivalent of cancer (personally, I don't think it's that bad of a game but it is much worse than the others). Why make your new game resemble 6 so much then? Why not make it more like 3 and 5? Why? :negative:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Man, fuck the graphics even. Heroes of Might & Magic V is one of the worst-looking games in existance. It took a dump on 3's legacy there. Hell all games since III have looked like shit.

What bothers me is that it seems to stick to most gameplay conventions of VI. 1 and 2 were good games, 3 was effing great, 4 was an interesting misstep and 5 was basically 3 with a lot of cool additions and worse aesthetics. Then VI dumbed everything down and presumably didn't do that well. Why then continue in that line?

Infinitron: We should sent a notice to Limbic informing them they are in danger of us revoking their bro-status!

I hope I'm wrong, but maybe the series is just dead.

Disclaimer: I actually think that VI's graphics were a huge step forward compared to IV and V, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do the developers of these games do any sort of research at all?

It is developed by Limbic, and among the developers is Julien Pirou. You can bet he and most of the team has played every single game in series to death. Can't decide if that makes this worse or not.

We'll see. Too early for a final verdict, but man, I hope we see improvements.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah I agree, I got overly :negative: when I saw it, but it's still too early to judge without more details. Just have to wait and see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom