Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Archibald

Arcane
But Dwarfes and Elves aren't living together in Academy.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But Dwarfes and Elves aren't living together in Academy.

You're right. It's even worse...

academy-wizard-yasir.png
academy-blademage-gloria.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That Ubisoft post-beta survey is pretty damn detailed:

H2MNsAk.png

7M8KSjq.png

"The universe of the Bad Neighbours map."

Archibald

Arcane
Isn't this supposed to be released in 11 days? Anything substantial changed in the beta?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://mmh7.ubi.com/us/blog/post/view/the-lost-tales-of-axeoth
Apparently they discovered lost manuscripts from heroes 4, that they'll release as free DLC after launch. Pretty interesting, since heroes 4 was pre-ashan.

And there's an info video, but I didn't notice them saying anything that wasn't known.

It is certainly interesting that they'll release this in 11 days, when a third of the factions apparently wasn't ready for beta test 2 weeks ago.

I am tempted to get this, but not blind enough to get at launch. A buggy experience would seem to be expected.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Apparently they discovered lost manuscripts from heroes 4, that they'll release as free DLC after launch. Pretty interesting, since heroes 4 was pre-ashan.

Holy shit if that fat fuck is trying to pass his fanfiction as lost 3DO manuscripts we're going to have the drama of a lifetime.

bloodlover

Arcane
Oh sweet we get RMG now and not with an expansion. Too bad the game will most probably be buggy as hell. Also, I am assuming no more Uplay bullshit right?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game will fail not because it is bad or buggy, but because of its high system requirements. I have a 4Ghz i5-3570K, GTX 680 and 16GB of RAM and I had constant performance problems during the beta, including very long AI turns.

HoMM has always been a casual strategy game (as in everyone played it) and it needs to run well on most PCs, laptops included, to be successful. And instead of Ubisoft building on this legacy and nostalgia, here is what we get:

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 660 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or AMD Radeon HD5850 (1024 MB VRAM)

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3 GHz
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX670 or AMD Radeon HD7870 (2048 MB VRAM)

Quad core CPU + GTX 460? Most laptops will not even be able to start this game (or it will star but run like absolute crap). This limits the potential audience so much that that it amounts to taking HoMM behind the shed and putting a bullet into its head. There are not enough 'core gamers' with machines able to run the game well, who are interested in it.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
HoMM is my favorite laptop game. Shit plays so well disjointed, in the train, at lunch...

Still those system requirements are far too much for those graphics. It's UE3 not UE5.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
it was one of the problems of HoMMV too. It was a fine game, but high (for its time) system requirements, long loading times and VERY long AI turns made the game almost unplayable in multiplayer.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
This game barely looks better than Homm5. Aesthetically it generally looks worse. Those system requirements are for cutting edge cry engine games, this runs even worse than Attila Total War.

whatevername

Arcane
This game will fail not because it is bad or buggy, but because of its high system requirements. I have a 4Ghz i5-3570K, GTX 680 and 16GB of RAM and I had constant performance problems during the beta, including very long AI turns.

HoMM has always been a casual strategy game (as in everyone played it) and it needs to run well on most PCs, laptops included, to be successful. And instead of Ubisoft building on this legacy and nostalgia, here is what we get:

Quad core CPU + GTX 460? Most laptops will not even be able to start this game (or it will star but run like absolute crap). This limits the potential audience so much that that it amounts to taking HoMM behind the shed and putting a bullet into its head. There are not enough 'core gamers' with machines able to run the game well, who are interested in it.
Stick a proper videocard into your craptop http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-laptop-with-desktop-gpu.98838/

Archibald

Arcane

Archibald

Arcane
Ah I remember, he was some modder/map maker/faggot who eventually got hired by UBI, no?

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Anyway, regarding the slow death of Might and Magic under Ubisoft:
I liked Heroes V and Dark Messiah! A lot, actually.
Heroes VI and Heroes Online... the less said about them, the better. Could be worse, I suppose.
Clash of Heroes and Duel of Champions, though, are really good specimens of their respective genres (puzzle fighter & online CCG); not the absolute best there are, but great fun nonetheless.
Finally, Might & Magic X and Heroes VII... Limbic's old-school enthusiasm is palpable, but fearing a Unity crash-fest, and having a considerable backlog, I still haven't actually tried the former, and it's painfully obvious how budget constraints led to widespread involuntary half-assedness in the latter.

bloodlover

Arcane
it was one of the problems of HoMMV too. It was a fine game, but high (for its time) system requirements, long loading times and VERY long AI turns made the game almost unplayable in multiplayer.

Hopefully they will fix this in time, like they did with H5. I think that the long AI turns are still there but the overall performance increased a lot when they released the expansions.

Still, I find the requirements very high. AoW 3 came out last year and the requirements are much lower, plus it is well optimized and to be fair, the difference in graphics is not that big. Not to mention that fans don't give a fuck about the graphics when it comes to these games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom