Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm not a fan of overdesign in general, but one of my annoyances is how it makes shit units look better than they are supposed to. I mean look at that skeleton, its clearly someone raised a skeletons and dressed him up to look like some kinda boss unit from action game. But skeletons aren't strong, they die in thousands every game.

Peasants die in the thousands. Then they become skeletons. Must be a really industrious Necromancer who outfits them all with shiny armour...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, not related to the topic, does anyone know why they gave up on the old world and went with Ashan for the games?

Because the IP went over to Ubisoft and they wanted a fresh start with a universe entirely of their own instead of having to deal with NWC's lore spaghetti, obviously.

A more interesting question is why Ashan is so stylistically different from the old world. This MMX stream from a year ago might have some answers about that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...x-legacy-released.81387/page-175#post-3085363

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Also, not related to the topic, does anyone know why they gave up on the old world and went with Ashan for the games?

Because the IP went over to Ubisoft and they wanted a fresh start with a universe entirely of their own instead of having to deal with NWC's lore spaghetti, obviously.

Keep in mind that NWC also ditched their old world, Enroth, throwing us into Axeoth in IV. That move was not seen as something pleasant by the community, and many people were biased against Axeoth. Having that in mind, I don't really find the decision to ditch Axeoth surprising.

APGunner

Augur
Ok, more updates.

First, some in-game screens.
H7_ADV_1_Mini.jpg

H7_Landscape_Mini.jpg

H7_Combat_1_Mini.jpg

H7_Combat_3_Mini.jpg

H7_ADV_1_HUD_Mini.jpg

H7_Town_HUD_Mini.jpg
Academy's might and magic hero classes revealed.
Academy_Might_Female_Mini.jpg
Academy_Might_Male_Mini.jpg

• Blademage (Metamagic, Prime magic, Warfare)
  • Alchemist (Metamagic, Economy, Paragon)
  • Sheriff (Metamagic, Diplomacy, Light magic)
Academy_Magic_Female_Mini.jpg
Academy_Magic_Male_Mini.jpg

• Battlemage (Metamagic, Air magic, Warfare)
  • Wizard (Metamagic, Prime magic, Paragon)
  • Enchanter (Metamagic, Prime magic, Earth magic)
Necro townscreen. DAE SPIDERS GUISE?
150204_Necro_TS_Mini.jpg

And last, a very cool interactive map of Ashan.

Zeriel

Arcane
I really hope this is just a prelude to Might & Magic 11, the visuals and engine don't really grab me for a Heroes style game but they would look fantastic for a first person party-based RPG.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, wow... this is reaching Warhammer 40k levels of ridiculous design amazingly fast.

Anyway, if the game is good, I will enjoy good mechanics and have a laugh at the same time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's WORK IN PROGRESS PLZ DONT CRITICIZE!!!

I love how they stamp that over every screenshot like they're even going to change anything.

Archibald

Arcane
Maybe they understand its shit and try to save their skins by saying that its work in progress?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't remember much how it was in H5, but this one seems to have a lot of height variations on the maps, which is one of the worst things it could have: absolutely useless except if you love rotating the camera every two steps.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I don't remember much how it was in H5, but this one seems to have a lot of height variations on the maps, which is one of the worst things it could have: absolutely useless except if you love rotating the camera every two steps.
Well, I was born in a mountainy place so height variations don't scare me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Height variations would be very cool if the had a tactical function like in the Age of Wonder games.

Tehdagah

Arcane
It's WORK IN PROGRESS PLZ DONT CRITICIZE!!!

I love how they stamp that over every screenshot like they're even going to change anything.
Not necessary. The 3D screens look great.

That 2D castle looks like something from a browser game, though.

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane

I think that's the entire point of having a 3D world, the ability to rotate the camera and experiment with different angles. Sadly in H5 it was just for showoff and it wasn't really useful in any way, except maybe in combat, if you like to see your units from behind or above. I personally found it to be a pain in the ass to use and let's be honest, who the fuck zooms in to see the details on the armor or enemy units on world map?

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, that's the whole problem with 3d in strategy/tactical games - they shove it down your throat, but there's no actual point to them. Early on when games of this kind started switching to 3d, they often actually tuned mechanics to use it in a meaningful way, like Myth or Total Annihilation, but now? Functionality>>>AAAwesome 3d graphics when it comes to strategy games, you goddamn developer/publisher retards.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And it won't be useful in this either. What use could it have in Heroes? Heroes 5 was "find the hidden object" enough, this one looks like it's gonna be even worse.

Black

Arcane
HoMM is as dead as Fallout, move on to thrilling and new franchises, like Pillars of Eternity:troll:

Martius

Liturgist
Its not that bad tactic. If it will be that bad then there wont be any disappointment. If it will be good then that will be nice surprise.

Archibald

Arcane
ITT people confused with third dimension.

There is nothing confusing about it, simply put camera rotation doesn't add anything to the strategy games and usually ends up messing things up since you need to rotate camera till you find good spot from which you can actually see stuff that needs to be seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom