Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

FeelTheRads

Arcane
-Dragonblood crystal
-Starsilver
-Shadowsteel
-Dragonsteel

:lol:

Should have been:
-Trying
-too
-fucking
-hard

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think they missed a great opportunity by not making Starsilver into Dragonsilver instead. Should put it up to a vote, imo.

mhm32167

Educated
I've been thinking about why I don't like the ubisoft setting. It tries to be deep but comes across as bland and uninspired. The writing is poor. The nwc games didn't take themselves as seriously and the world was fun, even if it wasn't as sophisticated as other sci-fi/fantasy worlds. If only ubisoft would just hire an actual writer or two, and replaced whoever is in charge of the worldbuilding. It probably doesn't matter at this point; I doubt the new setting is even salvageable.

Anyway, more haven units revealed: http://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/armies-of-the-light-part-2

The haven lineup probably looks something like:
Core: crossbowman, dire wolf, sentinel
Elite: chaplain, guardian, cavalier
Champion: swordbearer, ? (angel?)

Haven was never that interesting, but this lineup seems so homogenous. Hopefully guardian, sentinel, and swordbearer have something to distinguish them from each other. Not too fussed about dire wolf replacing griffin, given that in this game haven is represented by the 'wolf duchy'. Griffins will probably be neutral if they are included at all.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really hope they aren't keeping the shitty unit tiers from homm6, even if it really looks like they are :/

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Haven_Guardian.jpg

:incloosive:

This is shaping up to be the most boring Haven in existence, good job.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Haven is boring by default.

This man disagrees

crusader_b.jpg

And incidentally, obviously the hacks doing this shit cut out the crusader from the Haven squad, even though he's the 2nd coolest unit in the entire HoMM series (after minotaur kings), and has appeared in every HoMM to date.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Haven is boring by default.

It is, no argument here. But Haven mk VII indeed shapes up to be the most boring of them all (mind you, I do not consider the entire Heroes VI to have ever happened)

At least that gal over there has some proper armour :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And incidentally, obviously the hacks doing this shit cut out the crusader from the Haven squad, even though he's the 2nd coolest unit in the entire HoMM series (after minotaur kings), and has appeared in every HoMM to date.

And replaced him with a white knight amirite? :troll:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, wtf, that was the single most horrible thing about VI. Edit: units divided into 3 tiers with even the basic ones being huge hp sponges I mean.

Zeriel

Arcane
I've been thinking about why I don't like the ubisoft setting. It tries to be deep but comes across as bland and uninspired. The writing is poor. The nwc games didn't take themselves as seriously and the world was fun, even if it wasn't as sophisticated as other sci-fi/fantasy worlds. If only ubisoft would just hire an actual writer or two, and replaced whoever is in charge of the worldbuilding. It probably doesn't matter at this point; I doubt the new setting is even salvageable.

Anyway, more haven units revealed: http://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/armies-of-the-light-part-2

The haven lineup probably looks something like:
Core: crossbowman, dire wolf, sentinel
Elite: chaplain, guardian, cavalier
Champion: swordbearer, ? (angel?)

Haven was never that interesting, but this lineup seems so homogenous. Hopefully guardian, sentinel, and swordbearer have something to distinguish them from each other. Not too fussed about dire wolf replacing griffin, given that in this game haven is represented by the 'wolf duchy'. Griffins will probably be neutral if they are included at all.

Griffins are going to be a campaign unit (since the hero guy bringing the factions together is a griffin duchy guy or something).

On topic, while a lot of this tier doesn't excite me at all (Ubisoft managed to make all the female units look retarded, congratulations!) I am a big fan of what they are trying to do with the wolf duchy units, replacing the flamboyant gold-and-yellow everywhere holy units with a haven that has more of a medieval flair to it can be nothing but good. Sun Riders replaced by actual cavalry with actual horses that aren't glowing abominations of bloom is the best part of this update.

And as someone mentioned in the comments, this lineup reminds me strongly of Heroes 2, probably another reason I am fond of the idea (though not the execution).

I think they already said the champion tier will include an angel, which is sort of a pity, would have been a nice opportunity to push a haven lineup that is just a brutal medieval army.

Yeah, wtf, that was the single most horrible thing about VI. Edit: units divided into 3 tiers with even the basic ones being huge hp sponges I mean.

Functionally, what is the difference between this and the way Heroes 2 and 3 did it? Not a rhetorical question, I am actually curious, having played both the actual in-game experience is about the same in terms of building up your town. The earleir games had tiers of units too, they just weren't loudly announced as such. If you mean "the units were balanced poorly in H6", okay, but that's a separate issue from the 3 tiers.

Last edited:

Untermensch

Augur
Darth Roxor The problem I have with Haven(and I'm saying this as someone who really likes to play Haven in 2 and 3) is that it's the usual assortiment of pikemen, swordsmen, crossbowmen, cavalry, angels. I'd like, well, fantasy in mah fantasy setting.

But Haven mk VII indeed shapes up to be the most boring of them all

My reply is:
It is, no argument here.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There is one in HoMMV?

Sort of

ico_Vindicator_128.jpg
/
ico_Swordsman_128.jpg

I actually had to double-check that because entering 'homm 5 crusader' into google images yielded no results, which surprised me greatly. Turns out I was trolled by the Potato version of homm5 where Squire has been translated into Crusader. For old times' sake, I suppose.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
The things I saw and read here make me glad the HOMM series is not very dear to me

mhm32167

Educated
Thinking of homm7 haven as a more homm2 style (knight) faction, the 'swordbearer' might be the new crusader. I hope they come up with a better name. I'm pretty sure the current names are provisional. They changed horseman to cavalier after all.
PIC_creature_haven_swordbearer_large.jpg

Perhaps guardian/justicar will have some kind of aura/support role?
s01_Cre_Hav_022.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom