Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Cadmus

Arcane
Are you just playing skirmishes or are you playing the campaign too?

Now playing the Tribes of the East campaigns.

I thought that was the best part of HoMM6. It was a lot more interesting than the older games, where most units were all the same, looks and some stat differences aside.

Units had plenty of difference between them all the time. Even on T1 level, the ways you'd use pikemen, skellingtons and goblins were completely different.

And even still, most of the abilities were added in HoMM 4 and later carried through to HoMM 5 (with some changes of various kind). HoMM 6 actually fucked it up because they put like a hundred million billion abilities on EVERY FUCKING UNIT, which was simply a clusterfuck to keep up with for one, and second, once every unit becomes a unique snowflake, the novelty and uniqueness very quickly wears off.
How did you use them? I genuinely don't know. I just had them march towards the nearest enemy and if my unit was a low hp one I'd attack if no retaliation was available so that they don't get murdered. Doesn't sound SO different. I agree overall anyway

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Halberdiers were buff as fuck for a t1 unit, with huge hp and defence. You could send them against most units and get away with it because they wouldn't take that many losses from retaliation.

Skellingtons had good offensive stats and okay-ish defence, but you could always be sure you'd have more of them after each battle anyway because of negrodancy. This is why they made for excellent shock troops that used up enemy counter-attacks.

Goblins on the other hand, were flimsy as fuck and generally with bad stats, but they had one good thing - high speed. You could park 500 of them away from a big squad's reach and then move in for the kill once it had spent its counterattack.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you just playing skirmishes or are you playing the campaign too?

Now playing the Tribes of the East campaigns.

I thought that was the best part of HoMM6. It was a lot more interesting than the older games, where most units were all the same, looks and some stat differences aside.

Units had plenty of difference between them all the time. Even on T1 level, the ways you'd use pikemen, skellingtons and goblins were completely different.

Never said anything but. You're the one who claimed Shadow Witches were banal while they're a cool unit. I didn't counterclaim "other units are shit lol". EDIT: All the things you say to Cadmus is true of HoMM V units PLUS they have all sorts of cool shit besides that. Sure smells like glorifying the past in here. HoMMV remains basically III with add-ons in terms of mechanics. Just a shame it sucks with regards to everything else.

Yeah, I'm playing Hammers of Fate. I fucking love the dwarves and their mechanics, but god damn their campaign can be boring.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Never said anything but. You're the one who claimed Shadow Witches were banal while they're a cool unit. I didn't counterclaim "other units are shit lol". EDIT: All the things you say to Cadmus is true of HoMM V units PLUS they have all sorts of cool shit besides that. Sure smells like glorifying the past in here.

what the hell are you even talking about

Cadmus

Arcane
Halberdiers were buff as fuck for a t1 unit, with huge hp and defence. You could send them against most units and get away with it because they wouldn't take that many losses from retaliation.

Skellingtons had good offensive stats and okay-ish defence, but you could always be sure you'd have more of them after each battle anyway because of negrodancy. This is why they made for excellent shock troops that used up enemy counter-attacks.

Goblins on the other hand, were flimsy as fuck and generally with bad stats, but they had one good thing - high speed. You could park 500 of them away from a big squad's reach and then move in for the kill once it had spent its counterattack.
Ah okey, that sounds about right but I never played much with Stronghold.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Never said anything but. You're the one who claimed Shadow Witches were banal while they're a cool unit. I didn't counterclaim "other units are shit lol". EDIT: All the things you say to Cadmus is true of HoMM V units PLUS they have all sorts of cool shit besides that. Sure smells like glorifying the past in here.

what the hell are you even talking about

Me: Shadow Witches are cool.

You: They only have X abilities.

Me: Yeah? That's not nothing for a HoMM unit.

You: WELL I COULD POSITION MY HALBERDIERS TACTICALLY DUE TO HIGH HP SO THEY WERE MUCH MORE SPESHUL

Fact is, HoMM V units built on HoMM 3 unit mechanics, differantiating tiered units between the castles as they'd always been, and adding a few passive and active abilities in the mix. Shadow Witches were cool because the basic unit was useful and a few tricks up its sleeves, while the upgrades were very different from each other (shooter vs. non-shooter, used very differently).

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I have no idea how you drew a train of logic from me saying shadow witches are uncool (which they are) to claiming that all homm5 units are terrible :retarded:

Cadmus

Arcane
Grunker I think I'm gonna replay V because you keep saying it's good. if it's not good I will delete it and post about it here, you will see.

Grinolf

Arcane

But after all they arre still generic and boring meatshields with slight difference in stats, which don't disprove the point. Much better would be use other tiers as an example, wher one can really see the difference between factions. Like T5, that had units like Liches, Gorgons, Dendroids each of whom was very unique.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have no idea how you drew a train of logic from me saying shadow witches are uncool (which they are) to claiming that all homm5 units are terrible :retarded:

I have no idea how you derived me saying you called all homm5 units terrible from that post :retarded:

Grunker I think I'm gonna replay V because you keep saying it's good. if it's not good I will delete it and post about it here, you will see.

It's shit in everything but mechanics.

Also, I think Tribes of the East > Vanilla > Hammers of Fate in terms of the campaign, but Roxor seems to differ.

Cadmus

Arcane

I have no idea how you derived me saying you called all homm5 units terrible from that post :retarded:

It's shit in everything but mechanics.

Also, I think Tribes of the East > Vanilla > Hammers of Fate in terms of the campaign, but Roxor seems to differ.

ah ok nevermind, fuck it then

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ah ok nevermind, fuck it then

It depends on why you like to play HoMM games... I think all the flavouring of III was pretty neat, but at the end of the day, I played to build unit, explore, pick up shit and kill the enemy. Here, V is geeewd.

Thane Solus

Arcane
offtopico?!

judging by the numbers of their employees Limbic might crash and burn at the next UBI slap on the face, since i ve seen like 20-30 developers there, thats a lot of cashy to pay monthly for small company.

Anway i liked MMX beside the retarded non diagonal movement which was :retarded: , so this can turn into something good, unless they listen to UBISoft GD Editorial, which are the most inane persons in game industry you can meet, besides EA boys of course, those are aabsolutely the worse you can find to fuck up your projects.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Some info with images of some of the proposed sylvan units: https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/creatures-of-irollan

Emerald knights don't seem too interesting so far. Marzhin confirmed in the comments that phoenix upgrade will be lunar. Earlier info on the heroes community forums regarding the stronghold vote turned out to be fake.

Some guy was bitching in comments about snakes being "not-classic" so I logged to vote in spite of him. Good to see that my choice is winning. Shame about 3 slots being taken by 3 different kinds of elves, but it can't be helped.

Cadmus

Arcane
The naga are just about the only cool addition to M&M made in Neo-M&M.
I think the whole water town was cool

Agreed. That's what I meant by naga. "Sanctum" I guess is the correct phrase.
It was probably the only really fresh thing about the new setting. I dont remember seeing this stuff in any game. And surprisingly, they looked even better up close in MMXL. I havent checked the official HOMM7 web but I hope they bring them back and maybe add some more famous mythical creatures.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The naga are just about the only cool addition to M&M made in Neo-M&M.
I think the whole water town was cool

Agreed. That's what I meant by naga. "Sanctum" I guess is the correct phrase.
It was probably the only really fresh thing about the new setting. I dont remember seeing this stuff in any game. And surprisingly, they looked even better up close in MMXL. I havent checked the official HOMM7 web but I hope they bring them back and maybe add some more famous mythical creatures.

Naga's as a faction were probably inspired by The Frozen Throne. The main evidance is that they are water-based snake-creatures - same as in TFT, Naga's in DND were snake with human heads and in H3 they had 6 arms and nothing to do with water.

Last edited:

mhm32167

Educated
Heroes Community Q+A http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=40646
~ Heroes Community Q&A ~

01) From what we saw in the Gamescom demo map, creature models in the battlefield view look very small. Additionally, the default view of the battlefield is very zoomed out, showing too much of the background graphics around the battlefield instead of focusing on the battlefield itself. Will you work to improve this?

[GP] First of all it is important to keep in mind that all cameras in the Gamescom build were only for demo purposes to facilitate screen capture and offer a broad vision of our battlefields and creatures. We worked hard to find a good compromise between visibility and accessibility but of course Heroes VII includes a zoom in/out feature in combat (and an adventure map, of course) so you can decide to focus on what really matters to you: the actual battle and the creatures!

02) What does Luck and Morale do in H7? Does the game feature the possibility of negative Luck for creatures?

[XP] As previously stated we wanted to return to the roots of Heroes' core features, and Luck & Morale were of course one of these key elements. At the moment we don¢t have much information to share about this particular topic but in a few words: Luck and Morale do the same as they always did. Good Luck gives increased damage; good Morale gives an additional "half turn". In contrast to Heroes 6, negative Luck is back and "fumble" is synonymous with try again or reduced damage dealt.

03) Will the Map Editor have the Event function again? The "blue-ball" in the H3 Editor was one of the most important features for a creator to have. Placing that single object empowered the maker to call for an ambush, a morale change, joining troops, goodies, etc.

[GP] The “blue-ball” is not coming back... but is evolving! Indeed, the Unreal Engine 3 offers great tools to all map makers and modders. In addition to all existing scripts on our database, fans will be able to create and share additional ones to enhance the experience. In this way we hope to offer even more possibilities to all the people willing to create new worlds and fascinating adventures.

04) Will primary attributes return (attack, defense, spell power and knowledge) or will it be like in H6?

[XP] Primary attributes are making their grand come back in Heroes VII. Based on all we learnt from traditional Heroes titles we decided to re-implement them, the only difference will be the nomination of some of them.

05) How will the skill system work this time? Will perks make their return and will skill be random with leveling up?

[XP] The truth is we discussed an option to implement randomization. But in the end we decided to let you choose what skills / abilities you want to unlock. So it will be a kind of mix between H6 (full control is in your hands) and H5 (skills are structured in a wheel). We will develop this point in the following months on our Shadow Council website to give you more details.

06) Will there be a Random Map Generator or Simultaneous turns in the basic game?

[GP] As we said in a Q&A on Celestial Heaven, we¢re spending a lot of time on the Map Editor. Right now, it is too early to reveal details as a lot of work is still required to achieve our expectations.
Regarding Simultaneous Turns, it¢s also in our mind. As of today we can't confirm if or how it will be implemented.

07) How will the town building trees look like? What Heroes games are they most similar to and is there anything new about them?

[XP] The Town Building system is very similar to the one from H5, but offering you more choices and more buildings affecting many aspects of the game. An article dedicated to this particular topic is planned in the following weeks on our official website, stay tuned!

08) Can you reveal more info about warfare units? What is new about them?

[XP] I¢m glad to say I can reveal more info about Warfare Units! The new thing is they¢re a mix of creatures and war machines, destructible, buyable, upgradable... They are unique to each faction and offer various gameplay styles. Goodbye to the one-for-all catapults, hello to your own dedicated support units.

09) How will the racial skill work this time? Will it have unique abilities scattered throughout the skills like in H5? Will it have its own skill tree?

At the moment we can¢t give you all the details about this specific point but of course each racial skill will offer a specific skill including different special related abilities. An example with the racial skill of Haven (work in progress of course!): Righteousness - "Whenever a friendly creature has good morale, all other friendly creatures get +X morale until they have good morale. This effect can stack up to the morale cap".

10) What can you tell us about the magic system?

The magic system in Heroes VII will be very close to the ones implemented in Heroes III & V. Unfortunately that¢s all we can say at the current time but don¢t worry we will definitively talk about it as soon as we can! (We can confirm the return of magic guilds though
wink.gif
)

11) What unique aspects are you trying to implement in M&M:HVII? We heard a lot about trying to bring back the best things from the previous installments, but is there going to be anything new that is truly unique for the Heroes franchise?

[GP] Well, you¢re right that we mainly communicated about "bringing back the best things from the previous installments". Heroes classical formula has proved its worth and it is important for us to remain faithful to it while trying to bring innovations and new flavor to Heroes VII. For instance, we¢ll bring in a flanking mechanic in order to give more importance to creatures' positions. Combat Maps will use different sizes and layouts, forcing you to revise your strategy and think about what¢s best during any specific combat.

[GP] As a final word, I would strongly advise you to keep an eye on the Shadow Council website as we¢ll unveil new details about the game (factions, creatures, skills, game mechanics, spells, etc.) throughout the year. It should (and hopefully will!) be your main source of information about H7. Thank you for this Q&A & for your passion!
Primary attributes (attack, defence, spellpower, knowledge) are back, there will be control over skills as in heroes 6 but with structure similar to heroes 5, mage guilds are back, combat maps will vary in size + layout. Random map generator still not confirmed.

Haven creatures http://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/armies-of-the-light-part-1

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks like crap. Boring try-hard edgy design.
Legends of Eisenwald looks much closer to what a Heroes game should look like.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm willing to bet those heavily armoured T1 "sentinels" will be hp-bloated as fuck.

Also wolves in haven. HUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I hate that shit.

One of the charms of 90's fantasy is that it is rooted in the real world (specifically, middle ages). Mercury and sulfur are much more evocative than "starstones" or "dragonblood" or whatever the fuck. Mechanically it looks good, but it's becoming clear that the worldbuilding of Might & Magic is never, ever going to be interesting again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom