Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
no dwarves no sell
In the Heroes of old d0rfs were only a lowly 2nd tier troop, I don't understand how you can imagine them as a whole faction :obviously:

bloodlover

Arcane
no dwarves no sell
In the Heroes of old d0rfs were only a lowly 2nd tier troop, I don't understand how you can imagine them as a whole faction :obviously:

Heroes 5 had an entire faction based on that race and it was glorious. And if you refer to old games, Heroes 3 had Fortress but no dwarfs.

The big issue that many don't see is the fact that dungeon will most likely win the next vote so the game will have two elf factions but no fire. Imo this was kind of a bad move from the producers.

Tytus

Arcane
no dwarves no sell

Heroes 5 had an entire faction based on that race and it was glorious. And if you refer to old games, Heroes 3 had Fortress but no dwarfs.

The big issue that many don't see is the fact that dungeon will most likely win the next vote so the game will have two elf factions but no fire. Imo this was kind of a bad move from the producers.

What are you talking about. Dwarves in Heroes 3 were units of the Bastion, the tolkien-esque town.

bloodlover

Arcane
I was talking about dwarfs as a faction in comparison to them just being a unit duh...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
no dwarves no sell

What are you talking about. Dwarves in Heroes 3 were units of the Bastion, the tolkien-esque town.

potato detected

http://heroes.thelazy.net/wiki/List_of_all_town_names

Tytus

Arcane
no dwarves no sell

potato detected

http://heroes.thelazy.net/wiki/List_of_all_town_names

POTATO STRONK!

:outrage:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I really hated the idea of a race-based towns from HoMM. I've always believed that theme/class based towns is what distinguished HoMM from other fantasy strategy games.

Zeriel

Arcane
I really hated the idea of a race-based towns from HoMM. I've always believed that theme/class based towns is what distinguished HoMM from other fantasy strategy games.

Yeah, it all went weird after HOMM3 to be honest, when the heroes games came so strongly unmoored from the storylines of the Might & Magic RPGs.

I think that's a large part of the issue with the series: it was never meant to be its own thing, and comes across really strangely when set in worlds that were created entirely to provide an excuse and background for a strategy game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
People cared about the setting and plot of Heroes games? I didn't even do that when I played the games as a kid. Much less when I replayed them later.

I agree though that it became even more inane when they started trying to make the factions make sense in some coherent world. Neo-M&M really is the most banal fantasy setting that ever existed, or just about.

bloodlover

Arcane
I never really followed the story and plot of the games. I just played random maps over and over again. They tried to make some kind of universe in H5 and after, with Ashan right? I assume future M&M games (if there are going to be any) will be set in the same universe as the Heroes games.

But come on, factions making sense is a pointless idea imo.

Tytus

Arcane
People cared about the setting and plot of Heroes games? I didn't even do that when I played the games as a kid. Much less when I replayed them later.

I agree though that it became even more inane when they started trying to make the factions make sense in some coherent world. Neo-M&M really is the most banal fantasy setting that ever existed, or just about.

As much as the plot of Heroes 3 was nothing remarkable it had some quality to it that I still remember the character, the nations, the villains, the story etc. And I can't say that about latter iterations of the series. So yeah when compared to other games in the series, heroes 3 had the best plot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

As much as the plot of Heroes 3 was nothing remarkable it had some quality to it that I still remember the character, the nations, the villains, the story etc. And I can't say that about latter iterations of the series. So yeah when compared to other games in the series, heroes 3 had the best plot.

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying nothing of incredible value was lost. The worst thing to lose from 3 -> 5 was the aesthetics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying nothing of incredible value was lost. The worst thing to lose from 3 -> 5 was the aesthetics.
My problem is not the plot, because the plot was banal in all M&M games (although in a good way). But the style and atmosphere of the classic M&M games (RPG and TBS alike) was more memorable than in the new games.

It's not even aesthetic. It's the feel of the game. HoMM is not about leading realistic homogeneous races against each other but about controlling forces of old fantasy concepts. It was pretty clear in HoMM 1. You had barbaric creatures that usually invade in hordes as barbarian, knight represented all these normal towns you were doing quests for, sorceress represented good magical beings, while warlock represented evil magical beings. Them HoMM 2 undead creatures. I never quite got Wizards, it's just seem like a conglomerate of random creatures to me. I get mages and golems, and even Titans since they were good spell-casters in DnD. I don't get the inclusion of halflings, rocks and boars. It just seemed random. Then in HoMM 3 they added demons and swamp creatures. They also made warlock town even more related to RPG-cliches when they made his castle a real dungeon.
Changing the game from "RPG cliches declare war on each other" to "it's a serious political game where serious nations declare war on each other like in your standard fantasy shit" is what killed it for me. Being an evil wizard who decides to be proactive for a change and goes around conquering stuff with monsters that are usually slain on the way to his lair is exciting. Playing evil elves like I did in other games before is not. I get that evil elves are also a well-loved fantasy cliche but it's less archetypical than "evil wizards and monsters who dwell in their lairs".
I'd be happy with a dungeon town a dark-elf unit and some dark-elf heroes would be OK. Playing a town where every hero is a fucking dark elf and over half of the units are dark elves is just banal shit boring though. Comparing HoMM 3 to 5 is just like comparing Might and Magic to Oblivion. Both are generic-so-it-hurts fantasy games, but while the first does generic fantasy in a fun and campy way the other takes itself way to seriously and fails.
As for the dwarves. I'd be happy about a city with Dwarves which a campy theme like "good and neutral creatures who live underground" or "creatures related to mountains and snow". A city with just dorfs, dorfs, dorfs all the way is something I simply cannot stand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gangrelrumbler I suspect the inclusion of halflings in the wizard town was a reference to Gandalf's special relationship with the Hobbit race in LOTR.

Gangrelrumbler I suspect the inclusion of halflings in the wizard town was a reference to Gandalf's special relationship with the Hobbit race in LOTR.

Didn't think of that. It also explains Rocks (stand-ins for giant eagles). Now the only ones not fitting the theme are boars. I thought they might reference "charm animal" spell but it's a druidic spell, they can't be summoned by "summon monster" spell either, only by "conjure animals" which is again a druidic spell). I guess they just felt that they have not enough animal creatures compared to their role in RPG-games and just couldn't put them anywhere else.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for the OT-ness, but is there a general consensus as to the best HoMM game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom