Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Succession Wars - HOMM2-style total conversion mod for HOMM3

Orzie

Arbiter
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Succession Wars is a fan-made total conversion modification of Heroes of Might and Magic III, which aims to recreate the unique atmosphere of its prequel, Heroes of Might and Magic II, and to provide qualitatively new gaming impressions to the fans of both games.

Download v0.8.1:
Download the mod from Mod Database
Download the mod from Dropbox
Download the mod from Google Drive

Installation:
1. Download H3SW v0.8.1 installer.
2. Unpack the modification to the game (Heroes 3: SoD or Heroes Complete) directory.
3. Launch h3sw.exe for the game and h3swmaped.exe for the map editor.

Heroes 3: The Succession Wars Mod is partially compatible with HD Mod. Users who prefer HD Mod can install it over H3SW v0.8.1 and enjoy many of its features. Note that:

1. HD Mod must be installed over the game+H3SW chain. If you mess up the installation order, you will have to do some more additional actions to fix the situation. See below.

2. To adjust HD Mod settings you need to find the era.ini file:
<Heroes 3>/Mods/The Succession Wars 0.8.1/_HD3_Data/Settings/era.ini
To change the in-game resolution from 800х600 to a desired one and to change the HD Mod graphics mode, you will need to manually change the lines <Graphics.Resolution> and <Graphics.Mode>. IMPORTANT: changing these settings in the HD Mod Launcher will not do anything!

3. Recommended HD Mod Settings:
<Graphics.Resolution> = from 800х600 (native) to 1440х900 (depends on your monitor width). You also can experiment with the resolution, but keep in mind that too many bright elements on the screen will not be comfortable for playing.
<Graphics.Mode> = 2 (32 bit GDI) or 0 (16 bit). You also can try other modes, but we do not recommend using 32 bit True because it leads to problems with in-game fonts display and causes instability in the game.
<Graphics.SystemCursors> = 0. Do not turn on system cursors! They lead to instability of the game on some computers.

4. HD Mod Tweaks
Players who are used to <UI.AdvMgr.SkipMapMsgs> can try to turn this tweak back on, but be warned that some in-game messages in H3SW v0.8.1 are not optimized for it. Due to all in-game messages being different from vanilla Heroes 3, we recommend at least to check them out :)
Other tweaks are not recommended for changing.

5. HD+
Currently, the HD+ functionality is not accessible for the ERA platform due to the decision of HD Mod creator. Be warned that there will be no online lobby, fast army management or other newest mechanics of HD Mod. We sincerely hope that the situation will change in future.

6. Launching H3SW+HD
To launch H3SW+HD Mod you will need to use the HD Launcher or to create an HD executable with it for the h3sw.exe file. WARNING: launching the game with standard h3sw.exe can lead to crashes on some computers, so use the HD Mod executable instead.

Experienced users: Installation of H3SW in the same folder with HotA and/or HD Mod
If you are not afraid of possible problems, you can try to install H3SW v0.8.1 in an already existing HoMM3 directory. However, be warned that the abovementioned modifications all contain conflicting versions of the patcher_x86.dll file. If you install H3SW over everything, you will have to update HD Mod accordingly in order to have all 3 modifications working properly. Uninstallation of HotA or HD from the game directory leads to the deletion of patcher_x86.dll and leads to the necessity of re-installing H3SW.

IMPORTANT: if you encounter a critical bug (crash) and wish to let us know of it, please specify your installation order. Currently, we are not 100% aware if HotA and H3SW can be installed in the same game folder without problems.
IMPORTANT: Automatic uninstallation of H3SW v0.8.1 is currently impossible. This is why we still recommend using a separate game directory to avoid possible problems.
[!] Fixed crashes caused by Diplomacy and Eagle Eye skills
[!] Fixed crash caused by hovering the cursor over Crystal Garden
[!] Diplomacy skill mechanics now fully implemented. Fixed skill effects for Estates, Learning, Sorcery, Necromancy
[!] Fixed WINGRAPH.CPP and Assert violation errors occuring at start of h3sw.exe
[!] Fixed crash caused by AI malfunction on enemy turn
[!] Fixed bug with Knight creature stacks appearing from nowhere in AI controlled garrisons
[!] Implemented proper Dragon building/upgrade mechanics
[!] Changed garrisons/rewards for Creature Banks
[!] Fixed Spell Scrolls to be functional
[!] All castles now have access to 5 spell levels
[!] Improved creature generation mechanics for random maps
[+] Added/improved new graphics for some map objects and Finbros the Barbarian
[+] Added more new sounds to replace Heroes 3 sounds
[!] Player won't be able to start game as Heretic now
[!] Restricted Heretic class will appear much less on random maps now
[!] Cursed artifacts (except Arm of the Martyr) now are not wearable
[!] Changed graphics for Movement/Mana scales
[!] Changed movement speed coefficients for heroes according to Heroes 3 mechanics
[!][HD] Added the custom template and custom alliance features for random maps
[!][HD] HD Settings now must be changed directly in era.ini file in the mod directory
[!] Other changes and improvements
For complete changelog feel free to visit our official forums:
http://heroes2.forumactif.com/t726-heroes-iii-the-succession-wars-v0-8-1-beta

FOR KNOWN PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS VISIT OUR v0.8.1 BUG REPORTS FORUM

Official Screenshots of the upcoming v0.8 release:

0mqC8LT.png

F-pCqa26SCc.jpg

QpghgNgxsu0.jpg

yJ0Pjv2.png

OUR LINKS:

VK: https://vk.com/thesuccessionwarsmod
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesuccessionwarsmod
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSuccessionWarsMod
Official Forums: http://heroes2.forumactif.com
Mod Database: http://www.moddb.com/mods/h3sw

Last edited:

Orzie

Arbiter
This is actually not Heroes 3 HD Edition. It's not that interesting for modding, because it is based on Restoration of Erathia, and lacks a lot of content.
There were actually some fan developments which restored some of the functionality, and modders even managed to extract the H3HD resources, but no mods are made to this day.

The prevailing majority of mods are still based on Heroes 3 SoD or Heroes 3 WoG(Era) platforms.

What you mistook for H3HD was probably that screenshot of "H3SW + HD Mod" chain I posted to HOMM2 vs. HOMM3 thread demonstrating the power of both mods combined. Or, it was that fancy main menu image from the trailer which is made in higher resolution for promo purposes :)

Parsifarka

Arcane
The further development of the project intends lore integration with the Might&Magic series by New World Computing with attention to earlier games of the series.
Bare-breasted laser shooting naga tanks? :bounce:

It's shaping up beautifully, I'm really glad you guys have kept committed to the project for so long.
Good luck and don't tease if it's not coming soon.
:salute:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Moi Russkiy -nye khorosho.
I would be harassing the Equilibris guys who promised H4 HD a year ago if I knew better.

Loved the Sheltem gif
vEPgnLk.gif

Orzie

Arbiter
Well, texts don't matter much there, it's all about the images. But, any kind of sci-fi based faction is a pipe dream for now because of, mainly, lack of free time, completely tight plans for 9 factions already, and, less notably, technical difficulties in adding a 10th faction.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Well, texts don't matter much there, it's all about the images. But, any kind of sci-fi based faction is a pipe dream for now because of, mainly, lack of free time, completely tight plans for 9 factions already, and, less notably, technical difficulties in adding a 10th faction.

Doesn't Horn of the Abyss roll with 10 factions? 8 standard + Conflux + Cove?

Orzie

Arbiter
That's why I said "less notably". It is possible, it is just a headache with a long trail of consequences.
The amount of work required to make H3SW playable is comparable to that, and it's still a long way to go. But, in exchange, even the upcoming v0.8 release does not already qualify as "beta", looking more like a playable version.

Anyways, even now we have 2 new factions in addition to classic six (H2), so it should be apprehended as good news for those with a castle mania.

hello friend

Arcane
This is actually not Heroes 3 HD Edition. It's not that interesting for modding, because it is based on Restoration of Erathia, and lacks a lot of content.
There were actually some fan developments which restored some of the functionality, and modders even managed to extract the H3HD resources, but no mods are made to this day.

The prevailing majority of mods are still based on Heroes 3 SoD or Heroes 3 WoG(Era) platforms.

What you mistook for H3HD was probably that screenshot of "H3SW + HD Mod" chain I posted to HOMM2 vs. HOMM3 thread demonstrating the power of both mods combined. Or, it was that fancy main menu image from the trailer which is made in higher resolution for promo purposes :)
Will you be basing it on VCMI when it's done?

Orzie

Arbiter
Will you be basing it on VCMI when it's done?
Personally, I do not believe VCMI will be done. You can finish the engine and perhaps even write a satisfying RMG, but AI is a completely different story.

By the time VCMI will be done, I will not be on the modding scene, most probably. Unfortunately.

Probably, having a freeware engine and ability to code as well as create satisfying graphics causes questions if you are still a modder and nothing more.

Quatlo

Arcane
Probably everyone keeps asking you that, but is there any ETA of the 0.8 version? I can barely contain my boner since I've learned of this mod a couple years ago, there were rumors it was supposed to drop in January this year and the wait is AWFUL because your work just oozes quality, it honestly looks so good I was even thinking about scouring the russian internets for some leaked closed beta you have going.

Orzie

Arbiter
Unfortunately no more certain than 2018. Personally, I have a lot of IRL stuff to do in May, and most probably will use summer holidays at maximum to get rid of sticking odds and ends so that the release will be suitable for wider promotion.

The closed beta test is in fact finished: what works, does work, and what is not supposed to be working, doesn't do that. Now it's just delivering the goods to in-game resources and solving some important problems which block the game from being playable with enough comfort.

Skall

Learned
Very cool. It's hard to go back to HoMM II after all the additions of III, but once in a blue moon I reinstall it and go on a skeleton farming Necromancer rampage to that operatic soundtrack. A very unique experience, and it's cool to see you bringing some of that aesthetic (and new stuff as well) to III. Can't wait to see more!

Orzie

Arbiter
Depends on what additions of HoMM3 you have in mind. The gameplay in the upcoming version is ultimately based on HoMM3, so the fans of this game won't be disappointed.
Myself, I hate the Wait button, but since the majority is used to this kind of gameplay, I suppose I'll be limited to the in-game option someday.

What was notable in HoMM2 is graphics and sounds for sure, making this game still able to compete with HoMM3 (to some extent, at least). Not saying HoMM3 is bad, it's just different.
Gameplay-wise - well, there can be opinions, but it's beneficial to make 'default' gameplay closer to the expectations of the majority. Thanks to the modding platform, it's still possible to invent some custom options for people like me.

Quatlo

Arcane
Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Gameplay-wise - well, there can be opinions, but it's beneficial to make 'default' gameplay closer to the expectations of the majority. Thanks to the modding platform, it's still possible to invent some custom options for people like me.

Are you using the HoMM2 spell mechanics? That's one thing I can agree that 2 did better.

Orzie

Arbiter
The upcoming v0.8 beta is going to have mostly H3 spell mechanics (for now). The only difference is that we put an experimental feature there, making it necessary to learn Expert Wisdom before any of the Expert Magics to increase the need in Wisdom skill and to slow down the Mass Haste lovers. It is not perfectly looking, because if a hero doesn't know Wisdom at all and already doesn't have a chance to learn it, he/she will stay with Advanced Magic, which might look not so perfect during gameplay. At least, for perfectionists. :)

An entirely new magic system is expected for the next v0.9 release (it will be our main programming goal for that milestone version).

News coverage on one of the major polish gaming sites: https://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=109226
Nothing new as expected, but its nice to see its getting some media attention, you deserve it.
Yeah, this one was made with my concern. I am happy to see so much attention from Poland, and look forward to work together with authors. I also found this one today: https://www.cdaction.pl/news-53436/...-przenosza-dwojke-na-silnik-trojki-wideo.html
Unfortunately, most of the articles I find contain misinformation, but I hope to fix it for future coverages.

Orzie

Arbiter
Besides graphics, Heroes of Might and Magic II original soundtrack was one of the main features responsible for the unique gaming atmosphere. Since the objectives of Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Succession Wars include enrichment of Heroes II legacy as well as preserving the mentioned atmosphere, we are happy to present our very first OST created to enhance the sound variety and let the players be absorbed into the magical world of Enroth once again under the tracks by Paul Anthony Romero and, from now on, also the new music created by the project team.

Orzie

Arbiter

Orzie

Arbiter
During the development stages, we are often inspired to do something less prioritized, but surely not the least interesting to show. Thanks to some of these innovations or modifications, the players will be able to see that the development scale is much wider than it would seem, and understand that more and more cool things are coming in future.
This set of screenshots (with some of them being directed) shows a little part of such work by the project team done in the previous few months.

Af8sKLk.png

Cx8OkaH.png
F6OHX3s.png

EkAJ7Kj.png
xKSahYs.png
roJbDMM.jpg
E8ad8qL.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom