Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Heroes of Might and Magic III HD - It's out

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Meanwhile I've been playing the GOG version of HoMM 3 and having a blast - no idea why anyone would pay money for this bullshit.

baturinsky

Arcane
N5vbYfV.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Ubi doesn't understand the market that much is clear. The H3 crowd don't want the same game but they don't want anything different either. And nobody else cares about some shitty HD remake anyway.

Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath for a next M&M game either. The production of a MM6-8 successor, with huge open world, would be way more expensive than MMX, therefore Ubi would have to aim at the mass market. And I'm afraid those retards are not interested in an open world party based RPG without gay semi-bestial romances anymore.

Breaking my heart with the truthiness over here, you're right and its so tragic. I'd still rather see an awful sequel to MMXL than no sequel at all, though.

I'm pretty much a whore for the skill system in Might & Magic, I'll play any game that does the must-find-trainers, Master/Grandmaster et cetera design.

It's funny how during the dawn of MMX people were (cautiously) hailing as Ubisoft as the new heralds of incline, but they quickly turned that around with one blunder after another. I agree that they are even worse than EA right now.

No one ever thought Ubisoft was magically great, it was generally accepted that Julien Pirou managed to work wonders in spite of the corporation, not because of. And I still think everything that seems less dumb about Heroes 7 than H6 is probably down to him and the people at Limbic.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ahahahahaha

I always wanted a version of the game will all the campaigns inbuilt into a exe like disciples 3 with updated maps and the hd mod (the actual one) improvements and a scripting language for modders that is not cthulhu reborn (they use original game bufferoverflows to execute code, enough said).

But heroes is dead i guess.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
HOMM3 hero portraits were pretty bad originally to be honest. HOMM3 gets a lot of (rightful) praise for polishing the mechanics and delivering, but visually it is sort of the HOMMV of its era, still good looking but certainly no Heroes 2.

Of course bad photoshop editing in the year 2015 hardly helps them look any better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
HOMM3 hero portraits were pretty bad originally to be honest. HOMM3 gets a lot of (rightful) praise for polishing the mechanics and delivering, but visually it is sort of the HOMMV of its era, still good looking but certainly no Heroes 2.

This, I still distincty remember how disappoint I was with the H3 art style on launch (although it was also probably because I was a huge H2 fanboy, and still am.)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Low poly art can't simply be upscaled and blurfilter-ed. You either redo-it or keep well enough alone and smaller. There are actually algorithms to go the other way (from higher res to lower) and the produced image to 'look right' has all kinds of funny stuff going on from line & color distortion and blur to missing parts, so it's natural that something that looks good in small size will look like shit upscaled.

Maybe that is what is happening here? I seriously doubt that these blurred images are to be used at this size, so they're probably blurred to be downsized. I personally prefer sharper images even at the cost of some aliasing/moiré but many don't (the page linked has a example).

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
HOMM3 hero portraits were pretty bad originally to be honest.

I'm pretty fond of them actually.

Maybe being smaller than those 'HD' portraits above helps with that perception.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes3/heroesstronghold.shtml

They look better in the original game, but I had the distinct impression going through the two games in order that 3 was a lot worse than 2 in that regard.

But whatever game people played first is probably the one they lionize regardless, so ymmv.

pippin

It is the biggest scam like all so-called "HD remakes". We should all boycott this but no, gaming communities and people in general are stupid : you feed them shit and they ask for more. Like someone said it's not because you put chantilly on shit that it's going to be better, it might be ore beautiful but it won't change the taste.

Most Steam reviews for this are negative, and some of them reccomend to buy the GoG version.
Not all hope is lost.

pippin

It is the biggest scam like all so-called "HD remakes". We should all boycott this but no, gaming communities and people in general are stupid : you feed them shit and they ask for more. Like someone said it's not because you put chantilly on shit that it's going to be better, it might be ore beautiful but it won't change the taste.

Most Steam reviews for this are negative, and some of them reccomend to buy the GoG version.
Not all hope is lost.

Yes but it still implies they bought it ! Plus I don't fucking read the cancerous steam 'reviews' coming from teenagers and nobody should trust them. Well since this is how everything seems to work today, I'll agree with you.... There is a tiny hope.

I doubt too many teenagers bought this; in fact I'd say the main audience for this was people who already knew the game. But as far as I know there was little marketing for it, and the original doesn't even have game breaking problems. Even the BGEE people could produce a couple of trailers.
Besides, people are complaining about actual issues, like bugs and lack of expansions.
In the end, this is what you get when you jump into the HD bandwagon. I can't understand Ubi at all. At least with EA you know it's about money.

Orzie

Arbiter
Doesn't matter, you can also name Yuri from Red Alert and such, whatever you like.

Orzie

Arbiter
Yeah, that's for sure. However, the whole Red Alert is fun in its parody concept.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

<- mfw seeing the HOMM3 portraits for the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom