Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Heroes of a Broken Land

Repressed Homosexual
Finally, thanks for this wonderful game concept.

Sadly, as much as I love it, I feel like it might still be monotone. After all, seeking treasure and killing all the monsters in a dungeon seems to get repetitive fast, and the blobber combat is quite basic. There are traps and other such stuff, but the question is does it add enough variety? I know I would like to see special events/characters and the like appearing in the dungeons to add some variety and give more incentive for exploration (for example, rescue NPC in dungeon X, bring him back to town Y, etc).

If you look at Paper Sorcerer, the developer overhauled the game quite a lot in the few months following release. Nice to see that you intend to keep finetuning your idea for a while. As it stands I'm not sure it quite passes the muster yet.

A complaint I would have is that when a character is too low in health or dies, I get a huge pop up telling me for example PLEASE REVIVE CHARACTER X that seems to stay there permanently. I fail to see how this is necessary at all.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
The healing and revive texts are part of the tutorial, which ou can disable. Also once you've healed or revived someone that message should go away and never come back.

There are random world events that will pop up from time to time and require to rescue people from dungeons, etc.

TigerKnee

Arcane
1) Not sure how well auto explore would work with secret doors, treasure, etc? I agree that finding that last monster can be a pain.
No, not "auto-explore" like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Have you played the Grimoire Super-Demo?

You can open up the map in Grimoire and click on an map tile which you already explored/is filled in on the map and the game will path-find a way for you back to that area. It doesn't step onto any un-explored tiles at all, so you can't use this to automatically complete the dungeon or something.

It was really helpful when I had to walk over the place solving puzzles or just walking from one shop in town to another. Basically revisiting old areas.

Repressed Homosexual
Isn't it weird that when you encounter monsters in the arena or outside, it's still as if you were in a dungeon? Maybe it would be better with different tilesets.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
You can open up the map in Grimoire and click on an map tile which you already explored/is filled in on the map and the game will path-find a way for you back to that area. It doesn't step onto any un-explored tiles at all, so you can't use this to automatically complete the dungeon or something..

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. I've always found keyboard movement and the map menu worked pretty good, especially if you up the speed. But yeah, I can see how that would be useful.

Isn't it weird that when you encounter monsters in the arena or outside, it's still as if you were in a dungeon? Maybe it would be better with different tilesets.

It's not ideal. I was going to make outdoor tilesets, but then I thought it would be lame unless they matched the terrain you fight on (grass, swamp, etc), which meant quite a bit more tilesets which even with my simple art style do actually take time to make. Basically the feature just didn't make the cut.

Repressed Homosexual
If there is one thing I would like to see, it is a function when in an armory or blacksmith, to compare the effect on stats of equipment on party members. Especially since you end up having so many different party members. You need to try to remember who is missing what, buy, and then check to see if the purchase is appropriate, all of that multiple times in a row. It's time consuming and discourages you from doing it in the first place.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
The auto-equp issue is really more of a UI issue than a technical one. For a single party it's straightforward, but for multilple parties less so. Of course when you auto equip there's always the issue of how you auto equp. Maximilzing ATK is easy, but is that what you want for each character? Probably not

I played beta and enjoyed it very much. Is there any increase in number of enemies and classes in a full game? In beta there is like only 15 kinds of adversaries which became boring after a while. It would be also cool to change Wizard into an Archmage.

Snozgobler

Educated
I took a look at the demo on the website a while ago, and then again when I saw the game was released. It seems like a fun little game. Personally I never had issues with "finding that last rat" perhaps because I would always close doors behind me thereby limiting the movement range of enemies who never seemed to open doors for themselves. Also, once you get hold of the ability sold by the adventurer's hall that makes enemies appear as red dots on the map (sense monsters or something like that?) makes finding individual monsters ridiculously simple.

Overall, I liked the game, but I wouldn't say I'm likely to play it again. I personally play games more for a story than anything else, so unless there is some kind of "campaign", or events that tell more of a story than I saw in the demo, it's not a game for me. Good luck with the game though, I hope it sells well for you.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
I played beta and enjoyed it very much. Is there any increase in number of enemies and classes in a full game? In beta there is like only 15 kinds of adversaries which became boring after a while. It would be also cool to change Wizard into an Archmage.

The next update will have a bunch more enemies - mostly new varieties of existing types (different colors, new powers, etc). So they should provide more variety in what you encounter.

jdinatale

Cipher
I'm not sure why this game isn't getting more praise. I find it to be a real indie gem and I'm enjoying it a lot. It should definitely be included in the Incline discussion.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm not sure why this game isn't getting more praise. I find it to be a real indie gem and I'm enjoying it a lot. It should definitely be included in the Incline discussion.
because it ain't on steam yet.

Repressed Homosexual

Probably because while it's an interesting experiment, it just gets too repetitive too quickly. You end up doing the exact same thing for dozens of hours on end on even the smallest map.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to agree there. The game is impressive for a one man show and definitely fun for quite some hours.
But ultimately, it ends up being too repetitive. Both visually, concerning audio and of course concerning gameplay.
In that, it somehow reminds me of Eador.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I have to agree there. The game is impressive for a one man show and definitely fun for quite some hours.
But ultimately, it ends up being too repetitive. Both visually, concerning audio and of course concerning gameplay.
In that, it somehow reminds me of Eador.

I only played it for a few hours but this is my opinion as well. Its not bad by any stretch but its not something I'm eager to play either

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Totally out on Steam! Buy it NOW!!!!!!

Believe it or not, the Codex has been helpful in development of Heroes of a Broken Land - a lot of good feedback and supporters live here.

My only real complaint with the launch is that having to watch a bunch of Let's Plays of the game where the fuckers that can properly use a mouse & keyboard interface! Like really, who the fuck uses the mouse to move around a grid based dungon?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Totally out on Steam! Buy it NOW!!!!!!

Believe it or not, the Codex has been helpful in development of Heroes of a Broken Land - a lot of good feedback and supporters live here.

My only real complaint with the launch is that having to watch a bunch of Let's Plays of the game where the fuckers that can properly use a mouse & keyboard interface! Like really, who the fuck uses the mouse to move around a grid based dungon?

Can you give me a link? I can update the OP with a link to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom