Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the creators of Quest for Glory

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jul 16, 2012.

1. TheWorld Educated

TheWorld
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I have just started playing the game yesterday. Desclaimer: quest for glory is my favourite series of all time. I have replayed those games... too many times and sometimes I still fire them up and feel like I'm with some old friends.

As first impact, the graphics are pretty bad as expected. The 2d drawings have been done by somebody who didn't really study perspective and the models \ animations are very bad. The backgrounds are better than I was expecting. I really didn't like the writing in the first scene. Too many puns, most of which feel flat.

Then I got to the castle and... I felt home. I started feeling that quest for glory vibe. So many things to interact with, so many things to do. I felt the writing got better too and some of the stupid puns actually made me laugh. The timing aspect looks to strict and pretty annoying but right now I'm optimist. This might not be the disaster that I was expecting, but actually something that I might enjoy a lot.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    The graphix are serviceable, I just think the running animation terribly goofy, they need to replace it by something better.

^ Top  
  3. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    Parrots:
    Now plus YouTube version:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/2249806

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    You can, just when Katie asks you what part of the puzzle you want to find, pick the tattooed skull. This part can be completed non-combat.
    Um, you actually have to flee from the original encounter either way. Then you can either ask Moira to fight for you, or the librarian to give you a hit how to defeat him. I wonder if the reward is worth it though.

As I've said in the review, the non-linearity in this game comes not from alternative approaches to the same challenges, but rather from picking what challenges you want to do.

^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Ummm no you can just kill the wraith if you have magical weapon,the one from the serpent did the job for me,also the ghost fence will sell you one if you ask him about the wraith. Still after that you have to destroy his phylactery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Oh, ok. I read about the phylactery thing and assumed he'd just resurrect if you try to kill him without having the means to destroy it.

^ Top  
  8. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    There's also an item that temporarily imbues ordinary weapons with magic for an hour.

Retreating from that fight raises too many questions. Why does Shawn strictly adhere to the end of day time and leave his friend trapped for several hours without food or water? Why doesn't he rouse the entire school the moment he gets back? Where do the teachers sleep anyway? Why is Shawn going to class like everything is fine? Why is the option to tell no one about Joel and deal with the wraith yourself considered more heroic than sending in the goddamn marines? Risking a classmate's life for a passing grade isn't heroic, it's psychotic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Too bad that I already found that skull before I met her in the sea caves. So obviously I told her that I have it with me, but then she said that we still need the key and the captain's hat. She didn't offer to do it herself, and I don't know if she would have. It was the third night of the midterm break and a day or two earlier she mentioned that the flood would come back soon and block the way to the treasure. So I figured that I had to do this on my own too. That's why I was slightly pissed that she arrogantly claimed that treasure as hers and even punished me for suggesting that I earned half of it (pity money reduced by 50 lyra).

This wasn't the only time that the narrative didn't add up btw, there was some other major quest where things got slightly messy. Can't remember though, I didn't have much fun after maybe half of the game and just wanted to get it over with.
    One minor thing I can remember, Joel wanted to set up Sosi in the final Poobah game by giving me the better hand when it's his turn to deal. He didn't follow through on that, seems like someone forgot to implement it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    ^ Top  
  10. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Well, it's quite easy to see why she would claim that - she sees it as her inheritance. And I kinda see why the game wouldn't allow you to argue otherwise - that'd really destroy what little it has of an economy. But I agree that narratively it requires some suspension of disbelief. An optional death scene where you backstab the bitch, but get found and sentenced to something unpleasant would be nice, but probably too dark for a Coles game.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I get that. Doesn't mean that I forgive such an obvious and easy to avoid narrative misstep. I get cranky when confronted with stories written by people who can't into basic logic... Well, maybe it was just another case of miscommunication between the general writers department and the level and quest designers for this particular area of the game. Happens a lot in CRPGs.
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    ^ Top  
  13. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    After spending thousands on an anus for Serpent in the Staglands, it's nice that the Codex is opening its pocketbook for a kidney for Steve. :D

Re: Hero-U, in addition to the Codex giving it a seal of approval, it hit 90% positive ratings on Steam (up from low 70s early on IIRC). As I predicted, its peak wound up quite a bit higher than launch day. At >200 simultaneously players, it compares favorably to other Kickstarter gems like Dropsy and is almost in the same league as Stasis. It did better than Moebius, too, showing that the Coles have stronger support than Jane Jensen. Not sure where they stand on making back their investment, but I imagine they're well on their way. It's a shame that no big site helped them out, but at least the Codex was there!

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Problems are problems, you know. Everyone's got them, and it's not a competition. Mindx2, I've met you and you're more capable than most ambulatory people I've ever met!!! I've had some shit, yeah, but honestly, I probably would never have persevered with making games, the kind of games I've always wanted to make, if I didn't go through all this. We finished up Space Quest 2 right after me having the last transplant in 2011, and in 2012 I thought "Screw it, let's make QFI for real" and we did. So, maybe after this one I could actually get around to doing Quest for Infamy 2 like I've wanted to.

It's good to see Hero-U having stability like that - as for comparing it with Moebius/Jensen... I don't think that Jensen's fans didn't show up, but I don't think a lot of them really cared for Moebius. I think a lot more of the Cole's fans like Hero-U, at least to a higher degree than Jensen fans liked Moebius. (I've gone cross-eyed....) Also, I love that Dropsy was a gem/success. How fuckin' crazy is that, hahaha! Anyway, if Hero-U does well, shit, maybe that would mean I could get to a proper QFI2. I've got the story/design written. It'd just be assembling an art/animation team to work on it that would be the hurdle.

Bt

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    PC Gamer interview with Coles, on its troubled development and future including the sequel in the works: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-hero-u-avoided-disaster-to-resurrect-90s-adventure-game-nostalgia/

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. bertram_tung Arbiter

bertram_tung
    Parrots:
    is there any way to play the game without having to stare at the transgendered character portrait the entire time? If so then maybe i would be interested. every time i start to read about it again, i am reminded of that abomination

• Edgy x 8
    • Shit x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Parrots:
    What a fucking idiot.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Another review is up, but it's unfortunately fairly negative: https://oldgrizzledgamers.com/reviews/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption-review-pc-the-worst-kind-of-fun/ That said, its criticisms sound somewhat like selling points.

Also, the more I look at the portraits, the more I like their absurd expressions. DarkUnderlord, Infinitron any way we can get Shawn O'Conner trolls or avatars? They are totally meme-ready. Tell me that panicked face from the character sheet wouldn't be a perfect reaction troll for bad news? Or the smug crypt one for when you're enjoying schadenfreude? Or this one for when someone is getting angry at you and you want to provoke them further:
    [​IMG]

In terms of expressiveness, I'm actually starting to think these might be the best portraits this side of AOD.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Alpan Novice Patron

Alpan
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Sorry to disrupt the thread a little bit, but seeing AoD portraits mentioned reminded me of how awesome those were. Who was the artist?

^ Top  
  20. Big Wrangle Learned

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    It's Mazin Kassis.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. bertram_tung Arbiter

bertram_tung
    Parrots:
    I'm just wondering if it's possible to play as a normal person instead of a transsexual.

It seems like a really odd design choice. I'm curious how they explain it in the game. Not curious enough to pay for it unless I can opt to play a normal person though. Does this option not exist? Maybe a good opportunity for modders.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • retadred retadred x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. mediocrepoet Arcane Patron

mediocrepoet
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The character isn't a transsexual, you moron.

• Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Parrots:
    You're just as bad as the SJWs that you oppose. Let that sink in, that you're every bit as bad and loathsome as the fanatics you hate.

Fucking nuCodex, we judge games based on the coloring of the character portraits in the dialogue.

• Brofist x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • cool story bro x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Parrots:
    Trolls gonna troll. Thicken up that skin and play good games, it’s the only defense.

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. bertram_tung Arbiter

bertram_tung
    Parrots:
    why are you guys so angry? I'm just asking if there is an option to play as a non transsexual character... If not, it seems like something that could easily be modded so the game can have a bigger audience

maybe you are angry at my choice of words? would you prefer if I use the term crossdresser? That's what you call a male who wears blush and lipstick and eyeliner and has a woman's haircut, right? please educate me if I am wrong, I didn't want to assume the character's gender, so I was trying to use the preferred PC nomenclature... is it a gender-queer? let me know the correct word to use so i don't spark such vitriolic responses from my progressive codexer friends

We can all agree this protagonist is not a straight cis-male, right? I mean, i'm pretty sure if you showed that picture to people without any context they would not guess male

perhaps I have it all wrong and the character is intended to be a lesbian...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Shit x 7
    • Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)