Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the creators of Quest for Glory

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jul 16, 2012.

1. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It is annoying,i decided to use cheatengine on the first day to block the minutes. That way you can explore and talk with people without wasting time. Closest thing i can think about it is Stardew valley,but more faster. You get around 8-10 hours per day to do shit,first three are about training,then an hour of eating and free time after that ,which is more training. It is interesting how your protagonist sleeps between 12 and 14 hours and could be tired.

^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Dragonfire is abominable, like Simon the Sorcerer 3D or Malcom’s Revenge of MI4.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    He's so easy to avoid once you start sneaking that if he spawned anywhere else the whole thing might as well have been dropped.

^ Top  
  4. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    Parrots:
    it seems that at about 45 tool skill you can loot the infirmery. i started a new game and managed to train to 47 at day 6. of course i didn't do shit other than train tools.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    Parrots:
    day 11, broke into every room. there's really nothing to loot other than some crappy wine you can't even sell, because it's only used for gay romances and some healing potions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    Parrots:
    (that's hidden)

^ Top  
  7. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    Parrots:
    they also didn't put much thought into the characters. the fucking paladin will give me a health potion to drink every time i enter the infirmery injured. she also says one could ask for stuff instead of stealing, but i can't ask her to give me potions to carry with me and if i steal them from her she catches me (idiotic as that is since i'm supposed to be stealthy) and gives me 20 demerits.
    another game with the illusion of dialogue and interaction options instead of real thought through dialogue and interaction options.
    exploration and itemization and the tedious clicking on everything you could interact with is just as lazily made. there's a fine dagger you can buy and there's the same fucking fine dagger you can find if you happen to click on the right barrels out of 1000 wrong ones.
    defense seems useless and thus all items that increase it since the difference in power between enemies is done in huge increments meaning that whatever defense actually does, it doesn't change shit when you move from fighting rats to fighting the green insects.
    rats deal about 2-3 dmg / bite
    insects from 6-9 / bite.
    that's a fucking x3 more dmg from first enemy to second enemy.
    and come to think of it, i don't remember the rats doing any less than 2-3 dmg / bite, so whether you're armored or not doesn't matter at all for dmg and is probably something like a few % more avoidance, which you basically cannot notice in any given fight because of the nature of rng.
    i also haven't seen many puzzles yet, just stupid grinding in a slow fucking grindy adventure/rpg hybrid that does neither well.

peace out

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Professional Doorstop Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    I was surprised to see that this was out.

Bought it full-price on GOG because QfG is easily the best Sierra On-Line series ever made, and I doubt the Coles will deliver a turkey. Sadly it doesn't seem that I'll have time for this quite yet, but at least I have something to look forward to. :)

Also, I LOVE me some good puns.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Parrots:
    I wan to support this and projects like it, but man I hate the art. Wish I didn't.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    I must say one of the really annoying consequences of the game relying on timed events is that you can't do certain things until the script decides it's time to do so. It's even worse here than in QfG2 because QfG2 started with a fairly open world and got boring mid-game, when you've exhausted all the side content and have to just wait for timed events. This game on the other hand opens up along the plot, so there's really nothing to do other than train while plot unfolds without your input.
    It's kinda funny if you think of it - grinding has always been QfG's sore spot, where you had to perform senseless actions just to get your skills up for the relevant checks. So rather than solve this problem, the Coles decided to legitimize it by setting the game in school and make it primary gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, the theft thing was particularly annoying.
    What's the best thing to do if you're strapped for cash though?

^ Top  
  12. `Hellion Arbiter

`Hellion
    Parrots:
    Washing dishes in the kitchen after dinner gives you 10 lyra per day, and in the evening you can go hunt rats in the cellar and collect a bounty on them. At the end of the 7th day all your classmates will gather at the rec room to play a poker-like game that can bring in loads of cash. I've reached day 8 so far and have more than 100 lyra to spare by doing the above (having already bought all pieces of the school uniform, as well), but don't know if things change after that day.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, I thought they redid the assets at least twice, but the results are not impressive.

^ Top  
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    I dunno, I like the environments. Portraits, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Flint Novice

Flint
    Parrots:
    Phew, Coles haven't lost their touch. Whimsical, funny, kind hearted and an avalanche of horrible puns. Characters are good (it feels great to grate on Sosi's nerves), interactions are surprisingly reactive but true to QfG traditions combat is absolute shit so there is that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    :lol: At least it make me laugh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this one ;)
    [​IMG]

• Doggy x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • M'lady x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • meh x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    The expression on Shawn's face in the second pic is pretty great. He(?) is about to cry from that zinger!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Hey guys for skillz i found out that you can max train per day up to 5 in lockpicking,perception and sneak. You can spam exam lock in lock room for easy and fast perception. If you train on a locker for an hour after you have 5 skillz of lockpicking it will give you only 1 point. You can read books about magic,charm,moxi,combat and thieving in the library. Training in the relaxation room is a decent way to pump up agility. :salute:

EDIT: You can also get a bonus point of perception if you listen to the door of your teacher. Sooo if you explore the locks to 5 points a day you can get a six if you listen after that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I found a potential bug in the beta. If you pick a certain chest in the Catacombs, before your evening time runs out and you are forced to sleep, you will likely fail due to its difficulty. However, the bug keeps you in the dialogue window so you could retry it. Every attempt costs you about 10 or 15 minutes of game time, and every four attempts or so gets you a point in tool use. Anyway, I probably picked that lock about 80 times before it popped, and I jumped about 20 points in tool use, which should have resulted in me missing a day of class, but instead the game just treated me as if I went to bed at 1am. So I basically did 20 hours of lockpicking practice in just a few minutes.

I reported the bug, so for all I know its fixed now. :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Now if only there was a bug for sneaking,it is the most annoying skill to level up. Does anyone know where to find a rope?

^ Top  
  21. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    I got the Kickstarter 6 years ago but seeing as this game has feminist/SJW garbage shoehorned into it, I'm never even going to play it.

• butthurt x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Give me your key, please.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Finally got time to play the game.

I'm in two minds about it. Really find it entertaining enough but at the same time I'm not sure about the timer.

It has the Quest for Glory charm that I like so much and it is fun talking with the characters, I liked exploring the university, liked more than enough to waste 3 hours basically doing busywork. Right now, I'd would rate it above Quest for Glory 5. I'm enjoying it despite the annoyances, something I can't really say about Quest for Glory 5.

I am just undecided if I like all this busywork the game throws at me and the timer.

I mean, you still have to grind to get your skills up like the old Quest for Glory games but with the timer, you can't just grind at your leisure because of the timer, this is the good thing, the problem is that even exploring and talking with the characters count on the timer and the timer runs FAST, you are exploring and talking with the characters for a little and then you lose all opportunity to train pretty quick. I think it would be better if the timer only counted when you were to do some time consuming activity like training, studying or working, exploring and talking shouldn't be counted.

I don't find enjoyable to be prodded to hurry on a game where you wish to click all things to read the puns and talk with everyone, adventure games and timed action mix well like oil and water.

Right now, I feel very confused about what are the priorities, so you are kinda stuck on a meta guessing game and there is no way to know the exact skills you will mostly need and the time you waste training one, it is time you won't have to train others or build the reputations with the characters.

There is no way to speed time too, so you will have to wait for the game to proceed on its own time, replays will be annoying to do.

The pacing of the game is kinda slow too at the start and the activities you do are more like busywork on the beginning, on the old Quest for glory games, you could go exploring the forest, kill enemies, solve puzzles, do your class quest right from the start, Hero U kinda shoehorn you into doing busywork for training and talking with characters for a few hours before it offer more variety on gameplay, what I feel will hurt replays too.

Right now, I find exploring, talking with the characters and seeing all the Quest for Glory easter eggs entertaining enough to tolerate the annoyances. I'm on the end of the first week and the teacher is already talking of the Rogue of the month competition, I hope the game doesn't make the mistake of demanding certain skill levels and punishing you for not guessing exactly how much you needed.

So far, it was worthy the money but if you are sensitive with timers, you will need to relax and don't try to min max perfectly on the first playthrough to enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The first four Quest for Glory games made time pass only when you when you walked around the world. You wouldn't burn through hours clicking though a dialogue tree. What is so hard about returning to this simple concept.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Lockpicking is the most important one as quite a few interesting areas are behind locked doors. I wouldn't worry about the others though, except one particular case you'll raise them high enough just exploring the dangerous areas. At least that's my experience halfway through. So far the game was forgiving enough that you can just spend a few evenings training if you find yourself stuck.
    Also, I might be wrong on that, but so far it seems like all the dangerous areas are sidequests and you can play the game as a straightforward school sim.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)