Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:(

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aw, man! I just read this and feel crushed. Do we really need another "social" game?!!!!! MAJOR :decline:!!!! At least I can keep a few of my dollars for MCA's Kickstarter... whenever that will be :roll:

Norfleet

Are people really this starved for adventure games that Failbook Vaporware warrants a topic now? Hell, this falls short of even being vaporware. It's VAPOR-vaporware.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone knows that the casual game market bubble is about to burst and they choose this course of action?

Well best of luck to them, but no way Im going to pledge money to this.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
That's an extremely retarded decision. I mean, why do they think that quest for glory fans will want a facebook game? What gives them at least one reason to think so? That's beyond all logic.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are people really this starved for adventure games that Failbook Vaporware warrants a topic now? Hell, this falls short of even being vaporware. It's VAPOR-vaporware.
The topic was started before the announcement of what it would be. Use your reading brain.

Stabwound

Arcane
Hahahahahaha wow.

Reading the responses on the Quest For More Glory forum thread that Lori Ann Cole posted those comments on, almost everyone is reacting positively. What a weird contrast to the responses here.

I hope this fails miserably.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Weren't there already several Fagbook games that succeeded on Kickstarter? This will probably succeed as well.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
They are likely not to even get the funding. Wonder how much they will ask.

Itt, this is a classic case of not knowing what the customer wants. Kudos to them for carrying off with their pet project, but obviously most fans of their Sierra work will back away from this.

There is a chance that all the ensuing angry e-mails and shouts of disappointment will change their minds though. It happens.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Hahahahahaha wow.

Reading the responses on the Quest For More Glory forum thread that Lori Ann Cole posted those comments on, almost everyone is reacting positively. What a weird contrast to the responses here.

That's because that forum is for the most part a bunch of sycophants ruled by an insane dictator.

kaizoku

Arcane
Hahahahahaha wow.

That's because that forum is for the most part a bunch of sycophants ruled by an insane dictator.
And this is why I love the codex.

Unwanted

Unwanted
Less puzzle solving more grind quest is the new formula theyre adopting for qfg kickstarter????? Havent they seen magna cum laude?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Right, so anyone listened to the Chris Pope interview with them? There wasn't any mention of it being online, multiplayer or Facebook. Did something change?
Also: http://www.theschoolforheroes.com/questlog/
No mention there either... no social crap or stuff like that. So what is it? Why would it be online if there's nothing of that?

Alex

Arcane
Just read what FeelTheRads linked:

The School for Heroes said:
Our new School for Heroes game is most definitely not Quest for Glory, but it has a few elements in common. We are once again reaching back into our tabletop D&D roots to make a game that combines role-playing with story and strong character interactions.
This time, the emphasis is on the role-playing. The School for Heroes will be a 2D game with two distinct parts – In the school and beneath it in the catacombs. The latter part is an old-fashioned “dungeon crawl” with tactical combat similar to Fallout 2 or Dungeonmaster. Your character will explore the catacombs to solve mysteries, fight monsters, and acquire money and equipment.
Back in school, you will improve your skills and learn how to be a Hero and a better adventurer. You are also competing against other students and trying to survive hostile instructors. Getting to know the other students and weave your way through social interaction is just as important as your schoolwork and “dungeon time”. If you’ve played Persona 2, you’ll have a feel for that part of the game, although we will give you far more choices.
We plan to develop the game in several phases. In the first scenario, you will play a Rogue. For you, the school is more like a reform school, and most of your instructors treat you like a prisoner. You need to find a way to improve your skills, and at the same time, you learn what it means to be a Hero. And it’s a good thing, because you’ll need both sides to survive.
When you come back to the game in the second scenario (as a Wizard), you’ll be in the same setting, but playing an entirely different game. The dialogue, story, and your abilities are all new. In the third scenario, you take on the role of a Warrior, and once again playing a completely different version of the story. We also plan to include the Paladin scenario in the third release, but only players who have completed at least one of the other character stories will be able to unlock and play it.
Of course, there will also be plenty of our trademark humor. After all, even great dramas usually include humor to release the tension occasionally. Our goal is to make games that are at least as fun as Quest for Glory or Castle of Dr. Brain. But we also want to make sure that every game is a new experience. Every time we make a game, we ask, “Would we enjoy playing this?” If the answer is “Uh, maybe,” we do something else.
Enjoy the podcast, and we hope all of you will join us in November on our Kickstarter Adventure!

I guess maybe we were a bit too quick to assume the worst?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Quit trying to be reasonable, you're posting on the Codex. :P

Anyway, that does sound potentially cool... I'll be curious how they bring in their social online community ideas into it though or if they end up scrapping that in the end. It still sounds worth following at least.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Well, that why I said I would reserve any real recriminations until real details were released. I'm not 100% sure where people are getting the facebook thing from as I've seen no mention of facebook or other social gaming platforms (though if it's going to be a small-scale online game that's the easiest way for them to do it). Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention though.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
It doesn't sound half bad now that they cleared it up. Could be great actually.

Jadeite

Educated
Writing out a $10,000 check now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom