Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I hope they can get this done.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
"we hate quest for glory but please give us muniez because this will be quest for glory's spiritual successor"?

Pretty much. I mean, I guess they don't hate QfG in its entirety and there are parts they love (probably all related to the atmosphere & the story), but they more or less hate the very concept of the game (being an adventure/rpg hybrid). They were totally pressed into it by the executive meddling (yeah, amazingly enough, there are occasions when it actually does help the product). In reality, they always wanted to make just an RPG. Which can be totally seen from the approach they've taken towards the QfG V (if anyone bothers to remember that horror).

So I guess one can say that they want to make a spiritual sequel to the QfG's story and atmosphere. Not sure if that's why the series are remembered, though.
:retarded:
They aren't shy talking about how that they were originally kind of forced into it by being hired to do a role-playing game with an adventure game engine, but not once have I seen or heard them even remotely say that they hate the concept - not while they were pitching their original vision of Hero-U and certainly not afterwards.
By contrast, while they like the player choices, NPC voices and fugly graphics (Corey more so than Lori, I find) of QfG5 despite bemoaning that an earlier, prettier (IIRC voxel) 3D engine turned out incompatible with the hardware of the time (and all the time and money woes of the project and obscene mistreatment of them that eventually stemmed from it), they are equally un-shy that they hate the half-assed Diablo-style itemization (not 100% sure how they feel about the equally suits-born combat--I do know however that they like the absurd "arcade fighter combat with mouse but not keyboard support" of QfG4 demanded by higher-ups mixing two incompatible trends of the time) required by their executive overlords for them to greenlight/finance the restart of QfG5's development demanded by a fan letter campaign. A properly executed one on the other hand they'd have nothing against in principle, but I'm pretty sure they said that they felt it wouldn't fit QfG.

Anyway, regarding the update:
The wine cellar still looks pretty enough from afar, but I sure hope they don't plan on presenting those textures that up close.
And action points don't necessitate a grid by any means, but anyway, yay for vector-based!

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
No U.

Considering how hard they were invoking the QfG's name everywhere (the quotes of that are on the last page), it would be rather, shall we say, interesting for them to say anything bad about the game. You think they're what, saints whom only desire is to shed the beautiful light of their games on the poor and the meek? Right.

They said stuff that would gather them money. It did. Just like the Fargo, who will say in one interview that Wasteland 2 is its own thing and doesn't follow Fallout's success, will namebomb said success over and over and over in another interview. Ii's business. No room for honesty here.

DeepOcean

Arcane
6172cb0afb9dc50a9398315cb932d16c_large.jpg

O_o
I'm not a graphix whore but damn... someone kicked my balls and it hurtz.

Name

Cipher
I wonder if at some point badly anti-aliasing and polygonized graphics will appear under the banner of "oldSchool 3D art graphics".

DeepOcean

Arcane
I wonder if at some point badly anti-aliasing and polygonized graphics will appear under the banner of "oldSchool 3D art graphics".
Nope, old 2d pixel art is still beautiful art to this day, it only got better with the time...

Early 3d?
:flamesaw:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of blah blah blah as usual: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1016844

Current Progress

The current status? Art is about 85% complete, design is complete, programming is at 50%, writing has just begun. Now that Lori has completed the game design, she is working hard on writing the game dialog. I am also much more available now to work on the other game text. We’ve completed 1,200 “lines” (some of them are really full paragraphs) of a planned 50,000. This will make Hero-U more text-rich than Quest for Glory IV, “the CD-ROM from Hell” according to John Rhys-Davies. John had 6,000 "lines" of narration to read; he told us they were the equivalent of 20,000 lines in an animation script.

We have spent, or have obligations to spend, about $150,000 beyond the initial Kickstarter income. We are still under the original $650,000 budget plan and expect to stay under that. However, obviously the schedule has suffered from the need to stretch out expenditures, team changes (we had to throw away $50,000 of work), and Lori’s and my time spent on other aspects of the business than writing the game. Making a dialogue-based graphic adventure game is neither fast nor easy.

The new Hero-U release date? I can’t promise a specific date, but it will be in 2015, and hopefully in the Summer. We should know much more by January or February.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dem cheap skanks and $3/bottle Chilean wine.

Besides, a small consideration.

How is this game even "worth" 400k, let alone the fact that they had originally planned a total budget of 650k?

D:OS had a 400k KS too.
Serpent in the Staglands: 10k goal.
WL2, PoE and ToN both have around 1M goals, but they immediately look like they're on an entirely different league.
Double Fine Adventure: 400k
Kung Fury (looks very promising, btw): 400k
Balrum: 50k

I'm sorry but this game looks/feelslike it belongs more to the 10-20k league rather than the 400k+ "pretend-AAA" "clique". Hell, from the trailer it looks like a a shockwave/flash game.

Last edited:
Dem cheap skanks and $3/bottle Chilean wine.

Besides, a small consideration.

How is this game even "worth" 400k, let alone the fact that they had originally planned a total budget of 650k?

D:OS had a 400k KS too.
Serpent in the Staglands: 10k goal.
WL2, PoE and ToN both have around 1M goals, but they immediately look like they're on an entirely different league.
Double Fine Adventure: 400k
Kung Fury (looks very promising, btw): 400k
Balrum: 50k

I'm sorry but this game looks/feelslike it belongs more to the 10-20k league rather than the 400k+ "pretend-AAA" "clique". Hell, from the trailer it looks like a a shockwave/flash game.
Much of Divinity's features was already complete when they got to Kickstarter.
Don't really know about Serpent in Staglands situation, so I can't comment.
Wasteland 2 had additional funding and doubled its budget during development ([1]). Too early to tell about Torment, but my guess is that it's budget probably, like case of Wasteland 2, will be doubled.
Obsidian, being an active developer, probably has additional resources and also secured a deal with Paradox, who will handle localization and distribution.
Never even heard about Kung Fury, so I can't comment either.
As for Balrum — they've missed their release date and gone incommunicado, so the project may be dead already.

Coles dove into Kickstarter head-on, without doing sufficient prior research, without considering who their current audience are and what game do they want to see made. They miscalculated expenses, they've changed both concept and engine multiple times, and, more importantly, they a) haven't been active developers for some time now, so they are sorely out of touch with industry's state and b) they live in USA, in California, which I was lead to belive is an expensive state. So that's probably how making of the game costed them so much. I'm a backer, but, as I stated multiple times already, I don't even care would they release that game or not, I just don't want them to become bankrupt.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
We have spent, or have obligations to spend, about $150,000 beyond the initial Kickstarter income.

Ouch
Jesus, 150.000? While I'm angry with them not doing a thousand obvious things and avoided the current situation, they should had slow down the development or something. I not that sure that an indie , niche, no marketing adventure game can make that kind of money back. They are on a tough situation, if they don't release the game, they failed alot of people that are going to be angry (and they would be right as it was their hard earned money) but 150.000 dollars in debt with Europe, Japan and the USA going out in flames? It is a bad, bad, idea. I hope they recover and the game recoup the losses.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Gemini Rue, Resonance, and Primordia all cleared that amount, though there are distributor, publisher, tax, etc. costs that come off the top. I would have to think that Hero-U, if it were good, would be able to do 10 times what WEG's bestsellers did.

Brofisting Stainless Veteran for his dedication.
Not really a dedication though, QfG are one of my favorite series. I first encountered them when parents bought me my first PC in 1995, and played from first to fourth game non-stop for a couple of months. Of course they were pirated versions, we almost didn't have other ones in Russia back then, and even if we had I sure couldn't afforded it. But it gave me so many hours of joy, that I think of my kickstarter pledge as a "thank you" money and payment for those old pirated games.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not really a dedication though, QfG are one of my favorite series. I first encountered them when parents bought me my first PC in 1995, and played from first to fourth game non-stop for a couple of months. Of course they were pirated versions, we almost didn't have other ones in Russia back then, and even if we had I sure couldn't afforded it. But it gave me so many hours of joy, that I think of my kickstarter pledge as a "thank you" money and payment for those old pirated games.

Fair enough. I've done that before, too. I don't mind giving some money to the people who actually deserved it (by providing me with entertainment, emotions, or value of any kind)!

Name

Cipher

Fair enough. I've done that before, too. I don't mind giving some money to the people who actually deserved it (by providing me with entertainment, emotions, or value of any kind)!

I think you guys have elevated video games to "art' status. Arts patronage!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

Not really. Not always, anyway. It's a bit like tipping a barman for concocting me a badass White Russian cocktail. I am a strong believer in rewarding merit.

Err, nope, not at all. I'm too poor to be a patron of anything, anyway. In fair society each person would have been compensated according to his contribution to said society, but since we don't live in it (and probably never will) - I just feel good when I compensate favorite author or developer accordingly because I enjoyed his or her work . That's all.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Adventure of Making Hero-U

Original dungeon tiles:

jg9leW7.jpg

Initial demo (Fall 2013):

WbjqC9a.jpg

In terms of design, we went from a Puzzle/Role-Playing Game to a Role-Playing/Adventure Game. It will have more traditional RPG elements than Quest for Glory. You will be able to equip items that affect your combat and skills. You’ll be able to maneuver in combat. You’ll be able to manipulate the environment like moving barrels or putting down traps in combat.

But where the design really changes is that it is now a complex and multi-layered Adventure Game. You can make friends or enemies with other people. You uncover a mystery about the main character’s past. The things you do in the game directly affect the main character’s future. Choices really matter in this game.

Oh, and we tripled the amount of writing needed for the game in the process.

Now:

yvgTkiZ.jpg

NTIrfiF.jpg

So here we are, a year behind schedule and no release date in sight. We’re over budget, underpaid, overworked, and understaffed. All we have to show for our efforts is a year-old demo that is not worthy of the game. Hero-U is so much more than that.

And yet, I couldn’t be happier. I know that Hero-U will be the most exciting, beautiful, and creative work we’ve ever done. Every member of the team is working because of a love for what they do. That love will make the game even better.

Creating Hero-U has been an Adventure. It’s been scary and frustrating at times. It’s been beautiful and magical at times. I’m very proud of what we have accomplished along the way. We’ve adapted and evolved the game play and art style to create the game that you will love.

That’s the bottom line. We’re making Hero-U the game that you deserve for all the faith and trust you placed on us by supporting this project. Thank you for your support. We won’t let you down.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If they actually do enjoy it, that's great. :salute: I really hope they make it.

Current look is also much better than the 2013 demo. Has a pretty nice feel.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they had started off with the adventure rpg design instead of the tile based puzzle thing, I'd have actually backed this. I was torn on it anyway since I love QfG, but the original pitch didn't appeal to me. Hopefully they see it through so I can buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom