Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help with Gameplay/Mechanics

Cadmus

Arcane
guys I don't think you understand the OP correctly.
What he actually has now is a sheet of A5 paper that says:

- GAME PROUJEKT: Killerz Xtreme
- maek some cool scifi stuf adn big sword huehue, man I'm going to be rich! Now only to get this funded!

laclongquan

Arcane
HAY GUYZ !

MAKE ME A GAEM OR UR DICKS.

Bitch start with modding, playing various systems adaptations or reading PnP systems and prototyping as one, as other guys suggested. Trying to create a complex and balanced RPG system without prior deep knowledge on the subject and experience (which I assume you don't possess) is an arduous task, and even if you do, it might just be not fun aka shit (trust me, I've been there and many better than me also [see PoE]). As with almost everything it basically trial and error until you hit the sweet spot. Even the Codex Hivemind will not lead you through this maze when you're blind and have no sense of direction. At best you'll end in the pit with vipers which is where you are now.
This.
It is a valid way to become a game maker. Novik start with a mod for Silent Storm and his mod turn into a full scale game called Hammer & Sickle. The team make Pool of Radiance Remastered mod for NWN2 game now has a dozen game-like mods in their portfolio. And various other teams and individuals.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Allow me to repeat myself: I'm looking for someone to help me with gameplay mechanics. IF I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING, I WOULDN'T BE HERE!!!!!! I need a partner or two to help walk me through the process of how to make my game work. I have a few concepts and ideas, but I NEED HELP!!!! If no one is going to help, then you aren't be part of the solution! I have tons and tons of skills so jump on board and help me out here by at least telling me where to start or GTFO. I've put up with this exact same thing far too many times, and I'm certainly not being pushed off another thread again!

Abandoning the only project I have to my entire legacy is NOT and NEVER WILL be an option!!!! If you aren't going to help, then we have nothing to discuss, period.

Just curious, what are these "tons and tons of skills" you speak of? Do you have a portfolio to show us?

And as for "I've put up with this exact same thing far too many times, and I'm certainly not being pushed off another thread again!"... You might want to consider taking some of the advice people have already given here, and learn on something easy and go from there. You might also consider the size of what you're asking and the quality of what you're offering in return.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You know, nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. The kind of skills you need to get a girlfriend.

I understand the troubles you have. I am willing to help.

My price is $5000 hiring fee + $65 an hour.

laclongquan

Arcane
Damn! You are expensive! That kind of dough can get a VN veteran programmer doing all the work for you.

And yes, we do have veteran game coders. Check the credit of Codex top 10 games. Which is the rpg genre alone, discounting all rts or other stuffs.

If you feel lucky then find a cheaper programmer. I'm sure an inexperienced kid that costs half as much will take four times as long to produce something of lower quality. Do ya feel lucky, punk?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I checked the links that he gave at the beginning because I wanted to see his design docs. Unfortunately the links are broken now, so I guess we'll never know... Or at least we won't know until he releases the best game of 2017.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
FuriousGamer87 and Snorkack did you guys actually see his design docs? vdweller and I are kind of interested to know what he had already done. I'm hoping Cadmus was speaking hyperbolically.
Trust me, that stuff wasn't useful at all. His 'design docs' were 3 or 4 spreadsheets that listed some fancy-named professions/races and some random stats. There wasn't an explanation of the overall mechanics, however, he spent effort on describing a few arbitrary, incoherent hyper-specific rules, i.e. how to calculate crit damage. It made me smile anyways because it strongly reminded me of myself as an eleven,twelver, when I tried to design my very first games.
On a side note, how do you get the "developer" tag? I'm asking because I'm a dev too.
Paging Crooked Bee or DarkUnderlord usually helps

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I had a peek at his Deviantart page and other posts around the net. Priceless.

We could have our very own Colby James but you had to act like the bunch of fucking fagotas you are and drive him away.

We could have suggested signing up over at the Encyclopedia Dramatica's forums, for Christ's sake!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom