Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me remember an old DOS RPG game. (Ultima-like?)

superstalin

Novice
Help me remember an old DOS RPG game. (Ultima-like?)

This is something I've been struggling for a few years(!). I remember I used to play an RPG game around 1999-2000. I believe it ran on DOS.

Gameplay:
I'm not exactly sure, but I *THINK* the gameplay was rogue-like. I'm not 100% sure here! I would move with the arrow keys, and just "move" into the direction of enemies until they were killed. It had a gold system that I could buy things with(?). The game had NO party system, and NO 3D-Dungeon mode. The starting map is very green, with a castle and trees near you. I think it also had Ultima-style menu screen, where you press the buttons to select them: (S)tart, (C)reate, etc. But then again, maybe not...

Graphics:
Pretty DOS-y. Top down 2D. I remember green, and the text "GOLD" being there somewhere. The "avatar" you play as is what I remember most vivedly. It looks similar to the Avatar in Ultima 1, 2 and 3. The sword graphic on the avatar is rather long, almost like a sabre. It was also carrying a shield. The avatar graphic was static, I think. Another thing I remember vividly is that the avatar was long, unlike the avatars in Ultima.
ulava.jpg

It looks very similar to the Ultima Avatar... But the character is longer (Vertically) and the sword is much longer and curvier.

The game wasn't one exe file, it had a bunch of files. Also, the entire game fit onto a floppy. I remember doing this.

Some of you may think that it's a remake (or an original) of Ultima. You may be right, but I tried Ultima 1-4, and they are very similar, but were not it. The game I played had no party system (you were solo).

So, can anyone help me out with this? This has been driving me mad for the past few years.

Please help me remember!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nah, you had a party in that...

Was it a commercial game or some wacky freeware?

(RE Magic Candle - look at this, worth a shot at least.)

tmc1.png

superstalin

Novice
Jasede said:
Nah, you had a party in that...

Was it a commercial game or some wacky freeware?

(RE Magic Candle - look at this, worth a shot at least.)

tmc1.png
No, that's not it. The graphics had a lot more colors than that. Everything in the game window object was "bigger" too, I think.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What kind of graphics? 320x240 quality, with 256 colors?

superstalin

Novice
Jasede said:
What kind of graphics? 320x240 quality, with 256 colors?

I'm not sure of the exact res, but I think either that or 640... And I'm sure it had 256 colors. I remember bright colors...

This is driving me mad.

edit: well, I'm pretty sure it's 320x240... OR something along those lines

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So, it's 1999ish and with 256 colors, good graphics?

By the avatar pic you posted I thought it was older.

superstalin

Novice
SerratedBiz said:
So, it's 1999ish and with 256 colors, good graphics?

By the avatar pic you posted I thought it was older.

It's older than 1999. I played it IN 1999, so it can't be a game made after 2001 at the latest :wink:

superstalin

Novice
Just checked out Exile, not it. Exile's graphics are... Too flashy, and the resolution is too high.

:(

Andhaira

Arcane
Legends of Steel is the game you mean. It was released in 1993.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Google isn't giving my any result for Legends of Steel and 1993; but in some blog a guy is making a game with that name, dated 2006. Legends of Steel DOS gives no result either; what goes?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Perhaps Vampyr - The Talisman of Invocation ?

vampyr.png

Good game, btw.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Jasede said:
Google isn't giving my any result for Legends of Steel and 1993; but in some blog a guy is making a game with that name, dated 2006. Legends of Steel DOS gives no result either; what goes?

I think Andhaira means Disciples of Steel which is probably not the game the op is looking for.

1132845074-00.png

Andhaira

Arcane
Whoops, yes. I meant disciples of steel. And to be honest that fits what he was looking for to a tee.

mondblut

Arcane
There is a lot of shareware clones of early Ultima made in early-mid 90s. Compuserve and AOL were filled with them.

Could be Azalta. Or Walls of Bratock. Or Warwizard. Or Exselsior. Or...

mondblut

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Whoops, yes. I meant disciples of steel. And to be honest that fits what he was looking for to a tee.

Except that Disciples of Steel did have a party of 8, did have first-person view in dungeons, and was at least 4-5 floppies worth of size.

A grand game it was.

superstalin

Novice
Thanks for the help guys, but nothing so far...

I remembered a few more things;

It's directly top down 2D. Not a dungeon crawler!

I think the avatar (You) had animations... Very simple one at that. Just walking animations.

The avatar you play as is a lot "taller" than the ones in typical games... It also had a very long sword.

I also remember the game having a really colourful splash screen/menu.

I don't think the worldmap view changed into a combat screen once you touched an enemy. Everything was done in the worldmap screen.

Also, the game may have been a freeware release, and may not exactly be commercial

Is there a site with a lot of screenshot dumps? Maybe going through those will help...

Madness :x

edit: Oh, another thing, I think your character held the sword on his RIGHT hand... So on the left side when you're looking.

Captain Obvious

Scholar
superstalin said:
I'm not exactly sure, but I *THINK* the gameplay was rogue-like.

superstalin said:
Thanks for the help guys, but nothing so far...

Is there a site with a lot of screenshot dumps? Maybe going through those will help...

Maybe the roguelike graveyard can help: http://www.graveyard.roguelikedevelopment.org/

Ivan and Ragnarok come to mind.

I think the avatar (You) had animations... Very simple one at that. Just walking animations.

Uncommon. Questron and related games would fit that, but their avaters don't have swords.

superstalin

Novice
Actually, I think the combat was the only rogue-like part about it. I remember you could buy weapons in towns. Again, I'm not 100% sure on this one. But I remember using a cheating program to get me a lot of gold and buying something...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom