Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help installing Outlaws

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm trying to install Lucas Art's game Outlaws but have run into a huge problem. I can't get the installer to work because I have Win7 64-bit and it won't let the 16-bit installer work.

Anybody have a solution or a link on how I can bypass the installer or some other work around?

Thanks as always!!

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I can install the darn thing and view the entire intro cinematic but when it goes to start the very 1st level it says "unable to load level" and a continue button. I press continue it puts me back to the main menu. I'm unable to get any levels to load! I have the full retail version (2 CDs) and was able to get it to install using the Vorgon link.

Any suggestions?

edit: I am able to play the historical missions with no problem just not the main game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, it's a tricky one. I'd have to find my copy of Outlaws(quicker to download it I guess) and work through it myself. Sorry dude. It's half past 1 at night so I can't do it now. If you don't find a solution in good time I'll take a look when I have the time.

Sorry.

mindx2

Patron
Got it running. I was installing all the "updates" from olmaps.com to get it to run properly. That was my mistake. I just installed a glide wrapper, used the 64 bit installer from Vorgons and it now plays cut scenes and the levels perfectly. My problem was doing too much... "keep it simple, stupid" would have been better from the start :P

octavius

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

GOG version works swimmingly.

So what is the verdict on this game?
The intro took almost half an hour to play, but was done in a nice style that I liked.
But from the little I've played so far (just a test run, really) the gun play left a bit to be desired.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I never played but listened to the soundtrack multiple times. :M

Review by that guy that reviews every FPS ever:

Telengard

Arcane
Gunplay doesn't change from the beginning, beyond requiring more and more verticality as you go. Long range shots, you have to aim a little above the head, too. It was pretty bog-standard era gunplay.

What was different is the fact that headshots matter, and that includes being able to down bosses in one shot if you get a clean headshot. Nothing was more satisfying than going through a long boss setup for some uber-epic battle, getting a clean headshot on the first shot, and ending the fight in one. Felt a lot like getting a hole in one. Doesn't mean as much now, since hit detection and body parts have long since become a thing. But even now, very few games are willing to allow bosses to be anything but bullet sponges.

Levels are standard Lucasarts mazes from the era, though the "keys" to unlock new places are often things like a shovel to dig down under a wall and such, and there are sometimes multiple paths to the goal. The attention to detail in the levels and the musical accompaniment were what set the levels apart from their competition, not the structural design.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After playing the first level on Ugly difficulty I like the game. It becomes more a stealth game when one or two hits can kill you.
Only thing I don't like is the weird AI, which means that often it's best to just sit still, wait 'till the enemy calms down and then shoot him.

Oh, and what the did aliens do to that cow?

Astral Rag

Arcane
FYI, Outlaw's MP is p great and it can still be played over a LAN

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I tried re-installing this recently and after much heartache and trauma I just got the GoG version, which works near-perfectly.

Serious recommendation to anyone planning to play it, play on Ugly difficulty. As mentioned above it becomes a borderline stealth game, suddenly a ridiculously intense tactical shooter where every single moment of gameplay is completely knife-edge and you spend all your time crouching behind cover and peeking slowly around corners because one shot will insta-kill you.

One thing that pisses me off though is that the amount of hits it takes to kill enemies seems completely random at times. Apparently the game has locational damage so aiming for the head supposedly kills people faster, but it seems like sometimes people get blown the fuck away by a single pistol shot to the foot while other times the same enemy type survive about 4 rifle shots to the brain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Loved the second level, after I found the scope.
But it's a bit annoying that the levels end after killing the "level boss", before I've explored all.
Saw a key in the hotel's kitchen, but for some reason the long arm of the law was not able to reach it.
I like the open, unlinear levels so far, very different from Quake's cramped levels. Which reminds me, it's one of John Romero's favourite games.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I like the open, unlinear levels so far, very different from Quake's cramped levels. Which reminds me, it's one of John Romero's favourite games.

inb4 octavius
reaches the Sawmill and rage quits :negative:

Outlaws is a great FPS but it could have been better if the hitscanning was a little less extreme and less random, you often go from full health to 0 without even knowing who shot you. This sucks and it means that save scumming becomes pretty much mandatory even on normal difficulty. Oh and the game doesn't have a quick save / quick load feature and the gog re-release comes with a bug that fucks up the awesome music every time you open a menu :troll:

GOG version works swimmingly.

It works ok now but the music still doesn't work like it should and you can't erase text from any of the game's "text boxes".

I disable the music and use Winamp instead, I also prefer playing in Glide mode but with both smoothing filters disabled.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm about to rage quit this game since I can't find a motherfucking key on the train in the 3rd mission. I've killed a about a dozen cocksuckers, but none of the cocksuckers have a key. One of the cocksukcers slid off the open train set after being killed, though. I hope that cocksucker didn't have the motherfucking key. (Sorry, watched too much Deadwood lately).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Have you checked under the motherfucking seats and stuff?

Of course. I've combed every inch of the motherfucking train. I can't see anything that looks like a secret that can be activated either.
Oh well, I think I'll just play the historical missions instead, for the time being.
EDIT: I see in the Strategy Guide that one of the cocksuckers holds the Iron Key. I guess he was the cocksucker that slid off the motherfucking flatcar, so it looks like I have to restart the level.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
octavius, check every door in the sixth car and you'll find the brass key. The door to next car is stuck, so start backtracking and open the doors you couldn't open before. In the second car you'll find a crowbar in that locked room. Return to the stuck door and prepare to meet
the conductor.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I've already conducted some lead exchange with him.
Turned out I didn't have to restart the level, but reloading the first save did the trick.

Every time I hear one of the cocksuckers say "You are outnumbered" I want to reply "You are outsmarted".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
inb4 octavius
reaches the Sawmill and rage quits :negative:

I hoped you were kidding, but no...fuck all those switches and levers, some of which you can't reach when being flushed downstream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom