Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help! I despise huge open world games, but I want to experience TW3!

Cadmus

Arcane
You do sound overly sensitive to me. Having any RL trouble, my friend? What's up with your youtube channel?

Cadmus

Arcane
You do sound overly sensitive to me. Having any RL trouble, my friend? What's up with your youtube channel?
My Youtube channel is dead. :(
it's ok, it was shit anyway :)) you'd only be wasting your time and setting yourself up for disappointment. So what's wrong with you? You sound kinda down (not that you're really cheerful usually)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My Youtube channel is dead. :(
it's ok, it was shit anyway :)) you'd only be wasting your time and setting yourself up for disappointment. So what's wrong with you? You sound kinda down (not that you're really cheerful usually)
There's nothing particularly wrong IRL (at least nothing out of the norm :) ). I had a few arguments on the Codex lately, probably that's why I was jumping on every little trolling aimed at me.

Gord

Arcane
That's a normal reaction to the Codex, really.
Every once in a while one has to take a step back and relax a bit, maybe even take a short break.
Alternatively you can always become a shitposter, too. :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, after being on the brink of uninstalling and stop playing several times, I found the best way to enjoy this game. Switch on every quest marker, POI marks, use fast travel and only leave the road, if you are specifically looking for something.

See, my biggest problem with huge open world games is that they are boring, all the running around without anything happening is just a chore. Roaming, roaming and roaming, just to have a few exciting minutes later on in a guest, before continuing the endless roaming. So, I went popamole and turned on helpers, so the boring part is cut to a minimal. Shame on me, but at least I can play this fucking game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It will get boring and monotonous anyway. Trust me on this. I played the way you do, and it was a blast, but about half-way through the half-assed mechanics underneath fully open-world mechanics are starting to become apparent. The fucked up leveling structure, MMO-style trash mobs with levels, the lot. Eventually I got bored out of my ass and only play for the story.

Prime Junta

Turn down the difficulty and only follow the main quest + character (=Triss, Zoltan, Dandelion, Keira Metz, Dijkstra, etc) story arcs. Those are (mostly) pretty damn cool and worth following. A few of the contracts are kinda neat too but not so neat you'd want to wade through all of them to find the neat ones.

(If you don't want to turn down the difficulty, at least do the witcher gear treasure hunts as early as you can, and keep your gear upgraded. The combat is already a chore; if you're underleveled or undergeared it becomes a REAL chore.)

Regvard

Arcane
So, as you can see in the title, I fucking hate huge open world games. They become boring and a chore for me after a while. When I say huge open world games I think about games like Oblivion, Skyrim, GTA4-5 and it seems The Witcher 3. I don't like open world games in general, although there were a few exceptions.

Namely, Gothic 1-2, Sleeping Dogs, GTA Vice City, Might and Magic 6-7-8, The Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas. What these have in common is that although they are open world (or semi-open world with linear parts like TW2), they are not mindblowingly huge. They are not littered with stupid quests, you don't have to collect a lot of shit, they don't bloated crafting systems (except New Vegas), they are a more tighter experience, despite being open world.

Now I always liked The Witcher series, and I was waiting for the 3rd one very much. But when I heared the news about it being bigger than Skyrim I thought to myself, Jesus, why does everybody think that this is a good thing? That's awful!

So, I started the game of course after release, and I liked it a lot initially. Combat is OK, artstyle is great, story is great, atmosphere is great. No man's land was great. Then I arrived to Velen, opened the map, zoomed out, and then......and then I thought, no no no NO NO, I won't be able to finish this.

I am doing quest, fighting monsters, dying a lot (on Blood difficulty), and it is already wearing me down, and I only discovered about 10% of the map. And I already played at least 20 hours. All those cinematics in converstaions just add to the fire.

But I'm interested in seeing how the game plays out. What should I do? Lower the difficulty and run through the main path? But wouldn't that cheapen the experience, and wouldn't I miss out on the great sidequests? What would you guys do?

Did you get a physical copy or buy it on steam etc.?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
So, as you can see in the title, I fucking hate huge open world games. They become boring and a chore for me after a while. When I say huge open world games I think about games like Oblivion, Skyrim, GTA4-5 and it seems The Witcher 3. I don't like open world games in general, although there were a few exceptions.

Namely, Gothic 1-2, Sleeping Dogs, GTA Vice City, Might and Magic 6-7-8, The Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas. What these have in common is that although they are open world (or semi-open world with linear parts like TW2), they are not mindblowingly huge. They are not littered with stupid quests, you don't have to collect a lot of shit, they don't bloated crafting systems (except New Vegas), they are a more tighter experience, despite being open world.

Now I always liked The Witcher series, and I was waiting for the 3rd one very much. But when I heared the news about it being bigger than Skyrim I thought to myself, Jesus, why does everybody think that this is a good thing? That's awful!

So, I started the game of course after release, and I liked it a lot initially. Combat is OK, artstyle is great, story is great, atmosphere is great. No man's land was great. Then I arrived to Velen, opened the map, zoomed out, and then......and then I thought, no no no NO NO, I won't be able to finish this.

I am doing quest, fighting monsters, dying a lot (on Blood difficulty), and it is already wearing me down, and I only discovered about 10% of the map. And I already played at least 20 hours. All those cinematics in converstaions just add to the fire.

But I'm interested in seeing how the game plays out. What should I do? Lower the difficulty and run through the main path? But wouldn't that cheapen the experience, and wouldn't I miss out on the great sidequests? What would you guys do?

The only :obviously:version is the GOG, so I bought that.

Regvard

Arcane

Does the gog version come with a manual?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Does the gog version come with a manual?
What are you trying to say?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, as you can see in the title, I fucking hate huge open world games.

No kidding. I don't where players got this psychotic notion games should ever aspire to be longer than 40 hours and why developers aren't fighting against the open world trend. I am seriously losing faith in this entire AAA generation.

Severian Silk

That's a normal reaction to the Codex, really.
Every once in a while one has to take a step back and relax a bit, maybe even take a short break.
Alternatively you can always become a shitposter, too. :M
This is what I did! I can really recommend it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't where players got this psychotic notion games should ever aspire to be longer than 40 hours and why developers aren't fighting against the open world trend. I am seriously losing faith in this entire AAA generation.

Gotta maximize those hours per dollar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom