Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Help a PC illiterate upgrade his gaming rig

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Vibalist, Mar 15, 2017.

1. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Dude, faster GPU will give him more fps than faster RAM: yes/no?

All the other autistic shit you posted is irrelevant.
    Oh wait, you already said that the RAM will give him more speed, and recommended one over the other therefore you are a clueless retard and you definitely don't understand how anything functions.

^ Top  
  2. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    See what you're doing? No arguments, only tagging and twisting. Again and again :)

I said that:
    i) He cannot utilize a GTX 1070, not even close to its potential, due to his current build; ergo money wasted.
    ii) that -because of that- he is better off investing in a good RAM and an average/better (money depending) GPU. And with prices as they are, he'd have more than enough left to get said average/better GPU. Which he would utilize fully; ergo no money wasted.

Is that really so complicated for your thick head, lol? Can you only process a white or black answer? :D

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Burning Bridgesgender: ⚧ Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    It's true, the RAMs give him more fps. About 1 fps per RAMs

That's why I love this site so much :lol:

^ Top  
  4. valcikgender: ⚧ Arcane

valcik
    Parrots:
    Why not? This card goes with 256 bit memory bus and a lot of RAM, so if he's sporting huge ass monitor it's perfectly reasonable to have a card capable to process hi-res textures with all the postprocessing effects in his native resolution. All what matters is PCIe bus data throughput, i.e. PCIe slot version, since all the calculations are provided by GPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Charles Eli Cheesegender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord Edgy Shitposter

Charles Eli Cheese
    Parrots:
    :lol:

What an amazing, shocking lack of self awareness. Are you an IT professional of any kind? No. Now shut your stupid cockhole once and for all subhuman shit for brains.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Crospygender: ⚧ Learned

Crospy
    Parrots:
    This thread officially set a record for how stupid codex members can get. I don't even remember seeing anything as stupid as Aenra and Neckbeard when I used to go to French MMORPG webforums.. and god knows they are filled with stupid. Still not to this level. They at least had a reasonable understanding of good sources of knowledge on hardware and would just point frenchies to hardware.fr recommendations. Good job on turning this place into something that can lower a person's IQ just by reading it.

If only Aenra could listen to FTR's recommendation.. seriously, do something good for mankind as a whole for once in your life. Leave mommy's basement and go find a nice tree for your self hanging. This will be the only moment in your life where you can genuinely take pride for what you will be doing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Charles Eli Cheesegender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord Edgy Shitposter

Charles Eli Cheese
    Parrots:
    Point out exactly one supposed dumb thing I've said and quote it or else fuck yourself with baseball bat. Yes the dickhead from gaming forum is smarter about computer than guy with decades of programming experience and CS degree.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Burning Bridgesgender: ⚧ Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Ok. Now fuck off to your french MMORPG forum. retard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Burning Bridgesgender: ⚧ Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    He appeals to proof by authority, as kids do these days.

^ Top  
  10. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Literally every one of your posts is not only dumb, but fucking retarded and pathetic in its desperate need for attention.

Fuck off, retard, and do some more painting in ZBrush and some more genetic manipulation and all the other things you're an expert in and have a degree in.

CS degree lol. I got one of those like 20 years ago. It's an amazing tool for winning internet arguments, I can tell you that.

Edit: Oh, right, you also ignored me, couldn't take the butthurt of being outed as the complete clueless and ignorant in every possible topic of discussion you vomit your stupidity on.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Vibalistgender: ⚧ Arcane

Vibalist
    Parrots:
    This sure escalated quickly. :lol:

Thanks for all the input, anyhow. I think I'll go ahead and look for a new GPU, as that's most likely the problem.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, and then we can hopefully settle the dispute once and for all. Or not. This is the Codex after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Burning Bridgesgender: ⚧ Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    What did you expect? There are at least 3 camps here. The millenial camp who just repeat everything they hear from other millenials, and who you should just blatantly ignore. The older guys who make their own conclusions. Then there are authodidacts like Crispy who know a little bit but still dont understand anything about computers. And you have fanboys who will tell you whatever you are supposed to hear because they just want to agitate you. You cannot have a discussion without these camps in disagreement, that's just the way it goes.
    I personally could not say what is best for you without knowing what your priorities are. Some people want a bargain, others want to waste their youth and hardware with pointless overclocking experiment, but I decided for a factory ocerclocked 1070 because I wanted to be completely on the safe side, and I did not have 1 issue with fps ever since, without anything more than a few decent 10$ fans.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again DragoFireheartgender: ⚧ all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Parrots:
    Make sure to get the best GPU download.

^ Top  
  14. Crispygender: ⚧ Old Man Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Just for giggles, here's a GTX 1070 running on a 2700K Sandy Bridge (older than OP's current processor) vs. a 7700K Kaby Lake (brand new):

As you can see, nice bump in performance, but not mind-blowing. Don't forget to factor in the raw clock speed differences between the two processors.

Now, how about a comparison between OP's GTX 660 vs. a 1070, head to head:

Generally double the framerate, sometimes 100fps more. Granted, this was on a 6700K running at 4GHz, but it and OP's processor are p. close in many areas.

Interdasting, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Crospygender: ⚧ Learned

Crospy
    Parrots:
    I bet the retards are just going to go moon landing hoax on those benchmark videos.

^ Top  
  16. Melcargender: ⚧ Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    Remember to get a full cover block for it and some compression fittings. Make sure your pump is still strong enough. Oh, and you may as well get some fans too. Don't bother with overpriced gimmicky shit. Hunt some surplus Deltas or San Ace fans.

^ Top  
  17. BlackAdderBGgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For upgrade on that system I would get RX 480 4 GB if you have 1080p monitor.It's 200 euro on amazon.de Save your money for the next upgrade when you decide to go for 1440p or 4k or when building new system.

^ Top  
  18. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    You are comparing two different card types. One in mainstream. The second was in second highest tier.

x60 is high performance. x70 is high class nearly top performance.
    x50 is cheap for mainstream.

Thus 1050 Ti if user doesn't have money, but want to play something graphic demanding at low settings.
    1060 if he wants to play at 1920x1080 without AA.
    1070 if he wanna use high settings, or and AA. Or if he has 3840x2160 monitor.
    1080 if he has money.
    1080 Ti I prop NVidia corporate income, or I got it for cheap on sale, or my employer gave it to me as bonus to my salary.

^ Top  
  19. zerotolgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Zionist Agent Repressed Homosexual Pretty Princess Possibly Retarded White Knight Übermensch Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Beg Auditor Trigger Warning Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter Vatnik Virgin Queen Cuck Developer Bethestard Manlet In My Safe Space

zerotol
    Parrots:
    Reading this really annoys me.

You do not need a 650 Watt at all.

The system under full load will probably use around 300 watt.

People appear to consistently overestimate power usage.

a 500 watt will be plenty for any and all single gfx card builds.

650 watt is for dual gfx card builds.

I do agree that you should always buy a good power supply because it will last you many upgrades

Atleast gold certified but preferably platinum

^ Top  
  20. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    You're kinda late for that discussion.
    People overestimate the wattage when making such advice because:

1) Users tend to buy shitty no-name PSU to save a buck or two.
    2) We have no way of knowing what else is hooked up to the system, how many HDDs, optical drives, fans, USB dildos.
    3) No way we can tell if the user wants to use SLI in the future, the user most likely doesn't know it too.

Piece these three together and suddenly ~600W isn't that outlandish, especially if you consider low quality PSU and ageing.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. abijagender: ⚧ Arbiter

abija
    Parrots:
    Also you don't get full 500W for CPU + GPU. Need to check the specific model for the exact value. 500W is 100% not plenty for any single card builds.

^ Top  
  22. Crispygender: ⚧ Old Man Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    It's not the wattage that's so important, it's the amperage, specifically on the +12V circuit. A good quality gaming-class PSU will typically have a 24A or higher rating, and having 80+ Certification is good as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    I bought one of those watt meter thingies that you plug your computer into, then plug into the wall. I can't remember what my usage was. I don't have a high end system.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    Just popping by to say that apparently i misunderstood.

The CPU i thought the OP has.. is not the CPU he -does- have; misunderstood. Thanks to Crispy for telling me (just now in shoutbox, lol, all these days later), that i was posting advice based on my thinking that the dude had a dinosaur. I confused the numbers...
    All on me, /shit away :)

A 1070 can be utilized fully by your CPU dude, go ahead. And my sincere apologies if i added to the confusion, not my intent.

Since someone asked for citation regarding amperage, Crispy's right. It's Voltage(V) x Current(I). In this context (this isn't the case elsewhere), the voltage is steady, but the 'i' fluctuates. The higher your 'I' (ie the higher your PSU can provide), the higher your eventual Wattage.
    W = V x I

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Crispygender: ⚧ Old Man Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Well I would rate your post retadred, but at least you had the balls to come back and admit you were wrong. So I'll brofist you instead.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)