Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellraid - Cancelled (for now)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hellraid DENIED delayed thanks to the another game with zombies (in this case - Dying Light). Not in 2015, for sure.
http://hellraid.com/blog/development-of-hellraid-official-statement

Dear Hellraid fans,

We would like to officially announce that our dark fantasy FPP game Hellraid will not be released this year as previously planned, and the development of the game has been put on hold.

In the recent months we conducted an internal analysis and came to the conclusion that Hellraid, in its current shape and form, is not meeting our own expectations for this project. Therefore, we decided the best course of action would be to send it back to the drawing board and invent our dark fantasy title anew.

In the meantime, we will consolidate our development resources and focus on further expansion of our Dying Light franchise.

We wish to thank all our fans for your support – you’re the best!
skeleton_warrior.jpg

If the end like Chrome2 or Warhound (p.good on paper but get burried, because zombie games mania started to spread like disease) or be worse than current videos show ....

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol...

And Dying Light is crap but I guess Warner Brothers decided they would rather fund that.

sbb

Learned
eternally bummed about this but it always looked questionable to me. ideally of course it would have been the new hexen/heretic type shit, but all the videos ever showed was fights against 5-6 weakling skeletons, nothing remotely cool or even seemingly dangerous whatsoever. a bunch of systems added up to it seeming to not realize that what it should try to be is the new hexen/heretic type shit and NOT the boring linear dark fantasy hack and slash it looked like. it's probably for the best this will never see the light of day but i'll still weep for it

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It would have been Dead Island/Dying Light with skeletons instead of zombies. If you look at their last two games you'll notice little difference in the item/weapon system This would have been equally as shallow.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Would brofist but you forgot to add Heretic/Hexen, which was inspiration for the Hellraid, based on the devs' words.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I knew Dying Light selling 4.5 million copies is bad news.

I wish people stopped buying fucking zombie games already.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I was kinda hoping for Dark Messiah with a hint of Dark Souls, and a touch of Diablo. Yeah, disappointment.
Well, when I've watched the gameplay videos I wasn't so sure of it.
You see, the most important part of Dark Messiah was that your character was relatively shitty. He couldn't just go in and kill numerous enemies with just his weapons and spells. You've had to use environment, you've had to think ahead, throw shit at your enemies to get every advantage you've had. This is why the combat was so fun because the game expected you to exploit various things - kick enemies into campfire, throw oil jug on them and make it burn and so on.

Hellraid looks like poor-mans Dark Mesiah because things like kicking etc. are fluff, if you'd watch any of their gameplay videos, you'd notice that you simply can't use it creatively. Or at least the guy who showed it has trouble highlighting it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In the recent months we conducted an internal analysis and came to the conclusion that Hellraid, in its current shape and form, is not meeting our own expectations for this project.
Let me guess, it was too difficult for the average playtester?

Renevent

Cipher
Man that sucks, was really looking forward to Hellraid. I'm also pretty salty that the game being putting on hold (most likely cancelled) is due to Dying Light. I did enjoy the first Dead Island but really wasn't that interested in Dying Light. The Hexen/Dark Messiah/Left 4 Dead mash-up Hellraid was supposed to be was right up my alley though.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hellraid was being self-funded. Dying Light is owned by Warner Brothers. Not a hard decision to make when you can either work on your own money or take other people's instead. Most of the derpies loved Dying Light despite some technical issues. And since the Dead Island 'franchise' is floundering under some shitty new developer I'm sure WB ponied up a large amount of cash to take the lead in the zombie beat-em-up genre.

Alfons

Prophet
This game looks like they've taken the combat of Skyrim added a dash and made it a dungeon crawler. Winning combination.

Calm your tits. Any mention of Dark Messiah, I am bound to get excited, especially if a game gives me nostalgic flashbacks to the way they handled melee so efficiently in a first person game.

For a long time, Grimrock and Wasteland 2 were only a dream. Then came Kickstarter, and a few efficient devs among much slag. I still have high hopes for Dungeons of Aledorn.

Crossing my fingers on the Underworld sequel.

Alfons

Prophet
Dark messiah has shit melee. It's a kicking and throwing game. Special attacks that makes the camera go apeshit, shit hit detection, and light attacks that don't do shit, they're so worthless they shouldn't have even included them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Who the hell do level design like them these days man? Like Hexen? Even after this game - nobody? Not the matter of the fear ("casuals will not handle these mazes!") but skill.

For all the flak, I'd like to mention I still think Dark Messiah was superior in melee, compared to any other first person experience at the time, up to and including later games like Skyrim, and earlier games like Morrowind. None of them had the physics, much less the 'Umph!' Messiah did.

Alfons

Prophet
For all the flak, I'd like to mention I still think Dark Messiah was superior in melee, compared to any other first person experience at the time, up to and including later games like Skyrim, and earlier games like Morrowind. None of them had the physics, much less the 'Umph!' Messiah did.
But that's not saying much. For whatever reason, devs can't get first person melee right.

When your competition is Skyrim and especially Morrowind then you know something is fucked. I can only name a couple of games that do melee better than DM, specifically: Shadow Warrior 2013, Serious Sam 3, Chivalry. But again, that shows how shitty FPM usually is, not that DM is doing something right.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Well, there is also Zeno Clash, but it's different kind of first person melee, feels more like fighting game but FPP.
Still very good game(sequel is great too) so I can recommend it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-01-techland-insists-hellraid-isnt-cancelled

Hellraid first. "No no no," Marchewka responded at Polish games conference Digital Dragons when I asked if the game had been cancelled - it had been ominously announced as "on hold" only hours before.

"Right now we want to concentrate on Dying Light. We wanted to be fair with the fans so we wanted to send a clear message, especially as a lot of the people were expecting new things coming from Hellraid at E3 and Gamescom. We decided to take the pressure away.

"Once we deliver everything we want [for Dying Light], probably by the - I don't know - end of the third quarter this year, we will then maybe start to send some new [Hellraid] materials or informations or thinking about what's the release date, something like that. There is nothing concrete about this timing.

"But putting on hold means we want some of the resources to concentrate on Dying Light, and once they do what needs to be done we will come back to Hellraid."

Hellraid mashes The Elder Scrolls and Dying Light together to create a kind of co-operative, first-person action in a grim fantasy world. It's in development for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

In the short statement made prior to my interview, Techland said Hellraid would be "sent back to the drawing board". "We conducted an internal analysis and came to the conclusion that Hellraid, in its current shape and form, is not meeting our own expectations," the company said.

I asked Marchewka about this and he said some time would be taken for a "clearing of the vision". "The game's trying to do all kinds of things," he said. "Probably some clarification of 'we're going to be this, maybe not that, maybe it's too much' is going to be needed.

"Dying Light - every one of our games - had this problem," he added with a smile. "We always wanted to create something bigger than we should. Then we cut it in half and still it's bigger than it should [be]!"

He concluded: "It's definitely not dead. It's just we want to make sure the needs from our Dying Light players are satisfied as quickly as possible and we needed some resources for that."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom