Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellenica - Bears and Steam Robots go turn-based RPG... in ancient Greece

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Looks good. Will follow. Love the steampunk Ancient Greece setting, I've always loved Greek mythology and steampunk so this is a great mix.

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
We wrapped up the battle mechanics posts this week, and also started doing character intros on our blog. Check it out!

Only two more weeks until launch...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Hi there,

Hellenica is coming out January 23rd! Here's a taste:

In one level of Hellenica you can push Sisyphus down a hill and then have the female-protagonist-turned-into-a-bear throw a mechanically-animated statue onto his head for massive damage.

Here's our launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rszjlcu0ADA

Some more features:
- Puzzle-like Tactics combat: Toss your archer friend up on a cliff, bounce a barrel onto a line of harpies, or push a pirate off his own boat. Craft the best solution!
- Labyrinthine storyline: Player choice determines the battles, allies, and plots you encounter.
- No pants: Seriously, they weren't even invented yet.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Taken from http://thedragonloft.blogspot.fr/2017/01/battle-manipulation-skills-part-3.html
scylax_ignite.gif
pittacusbarrage.gif
pushgear.gif

So beautiful.

kurtle just a reminder, don't forget the DRM-free version, I'm probably going to day 1 purchase the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this game looks fucking awesome.

that GIF a few posts above is giving me major VANDAL HEARTS 1 flashbacks, and i love it.

Severian Silk

Nice graphics. Surprised the water is not animated tho.

Jinn

Arcane
This is coming out tomorrow and I'm starting to get pretty excited for it. What kind of price are we looking at here?

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
We're excited too! Hellenica will be $14.99 for launch week, and then $19.99 thereafter.

You can grab it on steam or itch.io in... 13 hours!

Zetor

Arcane
Interestink. Looking forward to this!

Out of curiosity, how long is the campaign? (or campaigns, since I read something about several different "stories" that may be mutually exclusive)

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
Thanks Nathaniel!

Yea, Hellenica's structure is a bit different from other SRPGs. It's possible to 'beat' the game in 7-8 hours if you rush through, though the final fight will be quite challenging. However, if you tackle each of the unique combat encounters and explore the various timelines, it'll likely take you 20+ hours.

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
No plans yet, but it's something we'd like to look into in the future!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have been playing a little, and I'm having fun.

First impressions :
The setting works very well, following how the history of Steam machines in the game is integrated into the greek history and mythologia is actually pretty cool ; the dialogs are often funny (the game is talkative).
There are branching storylines, which eventually rejoin. The thing is that you can travel in time at will, going forward in a timeline then getting back and choosing another path, and that's fun, for example you're meeting an important character for the first time in two different places depending on the storyline.

About the combat, on the easy side so far,
the fun part is definitely using environnement, in general pushing the enemies to make them fall for 500 damages while they only have 50 HPs.
Each mission has 1 main objective (always killing all enemies until now) and two secondary objectives (for example make x damage from fall). Then you gain XPs based on these objectives (and not otherwise).
XPs are used to buy new skills, and you're free to buy the skills you want. I like this XP system.

Zetor

Arcane
I like it so far, the setting/story is delightfully crazy. I mean, using Plato to AOE stun luddites with "Dialectics" while my steam jetpack-toting techpriestess pushes mechanized statues from the Agora-> Acropolis conveyor belt onto their heads is a pretty unique experience. Also, the retro PSX graphics are legit.

The biggest surprise was the deterministic combat core (fixed damage for attacks depending on positioning/other factors and everything is autohit, cf Banner Saga / Invisible Inc / Telepath Tactics) combined with separate planning and execution phases, which basically turns each combat turn into a mini-puzzle. So far the objectives and enemies were varied enough so it's all good!

My only real complaint is that the second bonus objective is only revealed after you've completed the level once... so you pretty much need to do each level twice (full bonus completion gets you just enough xp for a full skill point, so it's worth it imo).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Honestly, the writing is about up there with fan-translations of anime.

So the game begins with a lady wearing bear skins sitting by a fire and receiving a vision from the god Artemis. Ok, good start, I like that even though the writing is a little choppy. Literally the next second a stranger the character has never met before walks up and just says "I bet you go on all sorts of adventures!" without a single word being exchanged between the two prior. The young girl that says this goes on to say that it's impressive that a woman can get away with wearing whatever they want in this day and age, and that she wishes she could do the same and go on fun adventures too! The lady in bear skins says that the young girl is free to do whatever she wants. The young girl, in typical and facepalmingly bad anime fashion infers from this an invitation to join and decides to go pack her bags for a fun spontaneous adventure! The lady in bear skins says "who said anything about packing your bags! >_<" then quickly runs off. Try as I might, I couldn't even create a story in my own head that would justify how this exchange went down.

This is the beginning of the story....

I'm sorry. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief pretty easily, particularly when it comes to videogame stories and writing, but this has fanfiction levels of cringe. When a game prides itself on it's writing and branching narrative, I need to have an incentive to want to get past the first half-hour without rolling my eyes six times. It was particularly painful to see this happening in such an excellent setting with so much potential.

As far as the combat goes, the different heights on the map and the pushing mechanics seem to be a main focus of the gameplay, which is cool, but not enough to draw me in without any kind of equipment progression or the like. That being said, I would have been willing to give the gameplay more of a chance had the writing not instantly turned me off and made me feel silly for playing the game in the first place.

I'm sorry to the dev. You are a champion for making a turn-based tactics game in this day and age. I don't mean to blast your game or anything, but I was really disappointed with what I got. I would highly suggest finding a more competent writer for your next game.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, I kinda agree on the writing. Thing is, though, dialogue in indie SRPGs is usually skim / skip bait (of the recent SRPG crop Telepath Tactics was 'ok', Voidspire Tactics was fine if a bit overly minimalist, but Blackguards and Banner Saga... yea), so my bar is set pretty low. Plus, the anime steampunk ancient Greece setting is crazy enough that I just focus on that instead. Interactions / dialogues with NPCs seem to be a case of exhausting dialogue so you unlock the plot branches accessible from the current location on the timeline (do VNs play like this? I never played one), maybe this will change though.

Gameplay is... different from what you'd expect from a PSX-era SRPG, it is very abstract and gamey (the bonus objectives play into this, with things like "do more than 100 damage in a single round from bouncing objects/enemies" or "throw every single pirate off the ship"). Combat is way more Invisible Inc than FFT (or Tactics Ogre, or Fire Emblem, or...); there's no real level progression other than unlocking skills for your characters you can put into your limited skill slots (which is fine btw, I like the idea of lateral progression in general), no consumables, no stats. Much of combat relies on using the right damage types against the right kinds of targets and (ab)using movement / terrain to your advantage. Doesn't mean it's easy, mind... as long as you're going for the bonus objectives.

So yea, my verdict is still positive overall. If anything, I think this game could really benefit from a demo.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If anything, I think this game could really benefit from a demo.
Personally I think every game, especially indies, should try to give some sort of demo to the consumer to try and sell their idea that videos and text wouldn't.

Ok so looks like a fresh take on srpgs. I am not a storyfag by any means, but absolutely hate stuff chock fill of anime cliches. Game play seems interesting enough for me to warrant a try and for some reason gives me mild Disgaea vibes. The 25% discount right now isn't too bad so might as well get it.

Hopefully I can Fast Forward dialogue and ignore all that shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom