Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellenica - Bears and Steam Robots go turn-based RPG... in ancient Greece

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Explore a steam-powered ancient Greece as Artemis' Arktos, her chosen bear warrior, on a mythological quest of technology and magic...

hellenica_greenlight_banner.jpg

In this turn-based tactics RPG, you’ll rewrite the history of an ancient Greece transformed by an industrial revolution. Customize your party's skills and navigate a labyrinthine storyline where your choices affect the path you take, the battles you fight, and the allies you meet along the way.

http://thedragonloft.blogspot.hr/

Key Features
  • Old-school tactics combat, enhanced - Familiar Tactics mechanics coupled with pushing, tossing, bouncing, and obstacles. A new battle system that encourages experimentation and careful planning with an interface simple enough for players new to the genre.

• Unique steampunk world - See how an industrial revolution transformed the cultures of ancient Greece. From the luddite mobs threatening Athenian democracy to the great railroad of Thebes, Hellenica brings steamwork wonders to a brand new setting.

• Reimagined history of ancient Greece - Help Plato and Socrates maintain order in an Athens shaken by change, fight alongside the technologically augmented king of Sparta against rebels committed to tradition, or join Cyrus the Persian prince on a quest to liberate his people.

• Customizable party abilities - Unlock party abilities and customize your load out before each battle. Abilities never grow obsolete, but instead provide new tactical options for every situation.

• Labyrinthine branching story - Live multiple lives, making different choices and exploring different facets of the world. Will you seek guidance from the Oracle or form an alliance with a shadowy network of spies? Stow away on a pirate vessel or follow a mysterious foreigner? Investigate a rebellion in Sparta or seek the aid of the enigmatic enchantress, Circe?

• Custom narrative experience - Thousands of custom dialog lines ensure that characters recognize and respond to the actions you've taken on each of the paths through Hellenica’s story.

• No pants - They weren't even invented yet!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This looks sweet, the hype coming from this trailer is high.
There are more varied maps and cool skills in the trailer than in some complete games.
I can't figure out if a character is really ejected from the map forever because each time one is ejected they switch to another scene. If he/she's definitively ejected and considering they're showing different ejection skills, this will be very fun.
That's some good presentation.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like that they use three different artstyle; one for character, one for the UI and another for the tiles but I have to admit I like the creativeness of the setting. Already voted yes because I am interested to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Had to read the thread title twice. Watched the trailer, and holy shit the protagonist is actually a fucking BEAR. I love it.

Malpercio

Arcane
>Ancient greece
>All the characters except the dude look like normal JRPG characters

...ok.

Siveon

Bot
More games just need a bear as an MC, lemme play as Sir Bearington.

The other characters look cool too, like the steampunk robot, but damn. A bear.

Siveon

Bot
dev here, happy to answer any questions you might have!
...Why a bear?

On a more serious note: What is your main inspiration in terms of map design? They're pretty much make or break a good SRPG.

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
...Why a bear?

I would ask "why not a bear?"

The real answer is that her character is based loosely on this ancient cult of women that worshiped Artemis and dressed in bear costumes. We couldn't have asked for better inspiration.

Having a bear is pretty great mechanically too, as it plays well with the pushing and tossing that's central to Hellenica's combat. Shifting between bear and human form also means she has two separate skill sets, so she's really interesting to play.

What is your main inspiration in terms of map design?

Vandal Hearts was my main inspiration for the feel of combat and the layouts of the environments. It'll always be my favorite SRPG (sorry Hellenica). I specifically liked how some VH levels were dynamic and interactive, as well as the vast diversity in environments. In general, my levels involve more verticality than VH to make the most of the skills that move characters around. I also tried to make sure there were multiple viable strategies to each level, depending on your current skills and preferred approach.

If you're talking visual design, I did my best to recreate the aesthetic of PSX Final Fantasy: Tactics. Their maps were lovely. We're just a couple guys, but I think Hellenica looks pretty good.

Can characters be ejected from the map?

Yes! They won't actually leave the boundaries of the map, but pushing a bandit off a cliff or tossing a pirate off a boat into the water will insta-kill them. Other levels have similarly devastating environmental hazards. Note that it's possible to push an ally off in the same way... ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom