Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I started playing this, and it's pretty much in line with what I was expecting.

If you do understand the game's premise and enjoy slow, dark and atmospheric walking-sims with some nordic mythology thrown in, then this is for you. If you expect an action-adventure with methodical gameplay, then simply ignore this.

Ezekiel

Arcane
This is a boring story. It's one-note, grim and depressive all the way through. Would have been more effective if they had contrasted that with moments of beauty and optimism. Maybe they could have looked at her past more, let you play out some of those moments, when everything wasn't dark. I just don't care much for Senua's story, just hearing all the time what happened, but rarely being there or seeing it.

It reminds me of how unrewarding Gone Home was. Everything that mattered had already happened and you just listened to your sister brag of her love life for an hour or however long it was. At least when they do mental illness and delusions in movies, there are other characters. Tangible characters, I mean.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's a Nipgame and you guys are surprised it's more movie than game? Come on.

I misread Ninja Theory as Team Ninja somehow. :dealwithit:

vvvvvvv

Don Peste

Arcane
Three trailers: Zero gameplay.

Tags: Atmospheric Female Protagonist Psychological Violent.

About this game: "From the makers of... comes a warrior’s brutal journey... Set in the Viking age... Created in collaboration with neuroscientists... Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will pull you deep into Senua’s mind".

WTF is this game about? What genre is an Atmospheric Female Protagonist Psychological Violent game?

Played a little bit of this today - it's a non-game that takes itself so seriously you can't help but laugh. The very slow walking simulator bits are broken every once in a (very long) while for some toddler-friendly version of third person melee combat, and some chimp-level puzzles that will blow your mind. Oh, and there are whispering voices that give you hints and/or taunt you. So profound. Must be what women go through when they're having their period...

I'm a sucker for everything Viking/Nordic, but even I can't stomach this fucking tripe. The fact that it's getting such high scores across the lolmedia is the icing on the cake - Eurogamer gave it an " essential" seal. What a joke.

The graphics are pretty garbage - screen is smeared by every shit filter under the sun, 10x over, to mask substandard asset quality. The camera/fov is smushed too close to the character. She looks like Spoony. It's that bad.

Muh videogames as art.

:flamesaw:

Last edited:

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Played a little bit of this today - it's a non-game that takes itself so seriously you can't help but laugh. The very slow walking simulator bits are broken every once in a (very long) while for some toddler-friendly version of third person melee combat, and some chimp-level puzzles that will blow your mind. Oh, and there are whispering voices that give you hints and/or taunt you. So profound. Must be what women go through when they're having their period...

I'm a sucker for everything Viking/Nordic, but even I can't stomach this fucking tripe. The fact that it's getting such high scores across the lolmedia is the icing on the cake - Eurogamer gave it an " essential" seal. What a joke.

The graphics are pretty garbage - screen is smeared by every shit filter under the sun, 10x over, to mask substandard asset quality. The camera/fov is smushed too close to the character. She looks like Spoony. It's that bad.

Muh videogames as art.

:flamesaw:
I rate this post "Edgy"...

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
How on earth would this scratch a rune itch?
Rune was a fast paced, melee quake/unreal, were you made people explode into gibs with two swings of a torso sized hammer.
You also played big dude who was in direct contact with odin. Its 1 expansion was Multiplayer only...
Rune was 1 perspective and 2-3 spells away from being a half-decent hexen successor.

Here you play an ugly chick, searching for her lover (prob. dyke) in boring as fuck slow combat.

This guy made a reputation complaining about popamole invading PC games and now he's praising the most popamole, linear shit non-game you could possibly imagine. :mixedemotions:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Wow, WAB is a garbage reviewer? Fucking news at 11, the dude can't even aim in shooters, he's nothing more than a retard.

Kitchen Utensil

Oh look, another non-game that's getting hyped as the future of gaming. over9000/10.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Another obtuse puzzle. I quit. Uninstalled, deleted. Someone's gonna tell me the Tower Shard trial is simple, but I don't care. The puzzles aren't fun. Nothing about this game is fun or compelling, and the voices become annoying. One of the most overrated games I've ever played. I found Ninja Theory's other games, Enslaved and DmC, more tolerable. The former actually had a decent story (though I remember the ending being weak) and art. Heavenly Sword is probably better too, though I only played the demo.

Stonewolf

Augur

Muh videogames as art.

You post your informed opinions everywhere you can or just copypaste them from mc?

8BxKBQn.jpg

Stokowski

Arcane
OMG! What a fucking huge breakthrough in game design. The next generation of walking simulator: the crouching simulator.

How did the slavs not develop this genre first?

Modron

Arcane
OMG! What a fucking huge breakthrough in game design. The next generation of walking simulator: the crouching simulator.

How did the slavs not develop this genre first?
Because obsidian already beat them to it.

Muh videogames as art.

You post your informed opinions everywhere you can or just copypaste them from mc?

8BxKBQn.jpg
This is the first time (at least that I know of) something I wrote was copy pasted somewhere else, I guess it's flattering in a way.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Muh videogames as art.

8BxKBQn.jpg
This is the first time (at least that I know of) something I wrote was copy pasted somewhere else, I guess it's flattering in a way.
Cute.
You are still obliged to write your actual opinion once you really try the game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From what I read, the reviewers praise it for bravely tackling underused issues like psychosis and brush over the the fact, that the "gaming parts" are few and in-between (and not very good). Either it's really good at covering the first or most reviewers are afraid of appearing stupid by giving a 2deep4u game bad ratings.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://steamcommunity.com/games/414340/announcements/detail/2311890222387714575

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Patch 1.01 Released!
17 August - NinjaTheoryDom
b4edde303dd2476dd3c7908248238ae1dd031957.jpg

Today we’re happy to release a bug fixing patch for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice that resolves a range of issues reported since launch. The patch includes fixes across potential progression stopping issues, audio, localisation, combat, gameplay and photo mode. In addition to bug fixes we have also made some small combat gameplay tweaks and added Russian subtitles to the Hellblade feature.

We are continuing to monitor reports of issues in Hellblade and will be working on additional fixes for future updates. In particular we are investigating performance issues that players with AMD GPUs are seeing and are working towards a fix as quickly as we can. Please send any bug reports to support@hellblade.com

We’ll keep you updated on new patch news and thanks for all of the support so far!

Full patch notes:

Patch 1.01 Release Notes

Summary: A bug fixing patch that addresses a range of bugs identified since launch. The patch fixes issues across general gameplay, combat, photo mode, localisation and audio. Notable issues resolved by the patch include:

• Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
  • Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
  • Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
  • Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
  • Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.
    Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions on PC.
  • Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up on PC.

In addition to bug fixes, combat gameplay has been tweaked and Russian subtitles added to the Hellblade feature.

Full Patch Notes:

• Fixed a crash that could happen if two Keep Guard enemies are standing close to each other and one dies.
  • Russian subtitles for the Hellblade feature have been added.
  • Fixed an issue where the audio would be out of sync with the Hellblade feature if it has been paused for an extended period of time.
  • Fixed an issue where the Baldr Masks in the Tower Shard level are white on the inside.
  • Fixed scenarios resulting in unlit geometry after reloading from checkpoint.
  • Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
  • Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
  • Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
  • Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
  • Fixed audio cut-out issues.
    Added audio cues for hidden faces.
  • Fixed audio hard cut at the end of various cut scenes.
  • Fixes for audio lip sync issues.
  • Audio balancing fixes.
  • Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.

Combat tweaks:

• Global
    - Adjusted automatic difficulty enemy health scaling and Senua’s damage taken/given modifiers.

• Senua
    - Increased damage value of certain combo finisher attacks.
    - Adjusted rate of combat focus resource build-up in Hard difficulty mode or higher.
    - Fixed issue with stinger animated cameras popping if the same attack was repeated.

• Warrior Enemy
    - Warriors now have an increased chance of evading certain heavy attacks.
    - Fixed missing sound effects on certain reactions.

• Protector Enemy
    - Health values have been lowered.
    - Will now remain vulnerable for longer after his shield guard has been broken.

• Keep Guard Enemy
    - Fixed a potential crash bug if Keep Guard enemies are standing close together and one of them dies.
    - Tweaked rotation rate during certain attack windups.
    - Fixed missing sound effects on certain attacks.

• Surtr
    - Fixed an issue where Surtr was able to throw Senua outside of the arena.

• Valravn
    - Fixed an issue where Valravn could not be damaged while in Focus for certain combos.
    - Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

• Fenrir
    - Health values have been adjusted.
    - Fixed issue where certain attack were not dealing damage correctly to Fenrir.

• Revenant Enemy
    - Adjusted slide properties for certain attacks.
    - Adjusted cooldown for parry and evade defensive actions.
    - Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

• Photo Mode
    - Fixed an issue where motion blur is applied to object incorrectly during Photo Mode.
    - Removed the second slider that did nothing when cycling through the Effects tab.

PC Only fixes

• Fixed an issue where altering master volume would cause no audio to be played during the intro.
  • Fixed the lack of vibration with the Steam Controller for the Blindness level
  • Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions
  • Fixed an issue where looking around with the mouse during the boat intro was not working.
  • Fixed an issue where Focus was not able to be assigned to another key.
  • Fixed an issue where tabbing out during cut scenes would cause audio to go out of sync.
  • Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up.

I've yet to play the game once I find the time to finish it in one sitting.

Shinji

Savant
From what I read, the reviewers praise it for bravely tackling underused issues like psychosis and brush over the the fact, that the "gaming parts" are few and in-between (and not very good). Either it's really good at covering the first or most reviewers are afraid of appearing stupid by giving a 2deep4u game bad ratings.

There are developers nowadays that apparently are confused if they want to create a movie or a proper game. Sure, this thing can even have a fantastical story, but isn't this supposed to be a game? If you're really want to tell a story above ALL else, why don't you do a movie or write a book?

Aren't reviewers supposed to review a game for it actually being, you know, a game? Shouldn't reviewers take into consideration the elements that actually make a game unique in comparison to other mediums such as movies or books? If this fail as a good game, then why give good praise to this at all?

This thing apparently praises itself for having a story, but it's as if it shames itself for being a game.

It's as if games are too "immature" as a medium, or haven't catched up with the "artistic" level of of the movies industry -- that games should try to be movies and pretend that they are not a different medium, as if it would be too shameful to admit that.

I don't have a problem with games that want to focus on a story. Hell, most RPG's do.
As long as it prides itself on being a game, and actually allows the player interaction and provides challenges for most of the playtime, I'm OK with it.
My issue is that this thing is a very bad game, but it is being praised as a good game for its story. WHY?

If you take a look at games from the 80's that were focused on story, most of them were actually good games as well. One of the reasons I really enjoyed (early) Sierra's games, is that they focused on story but they didn't sacrificed the quality of the game portion. In other words, they acknowledged what they were doing was a game, and respected it for what it was.

Unfortunately, the more you approach the 2000s, the more "cinematic" games seem to have become. And now that we are approaching the end of the 2010s, we can see that this trend has come a long way, and it will not die anytime soon, unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom