Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm in Hell now and it sucks, there's monsters everywhere and no treasure! Red blobs are a real PITA to deal with, though I can occasionally charm one of them with bow of charm which is awesome (every blob split is charmed). I've just started running past the monsters to get to the staircases rather than slog through them, hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later. Ready to face the big bad, whatever that is. This game doesn't really give you an antagonist except for "demons!" Does anyone know if time makes any difference to the game? I'm trying to beat it on year 0 if I can.

Gunnar

Arbiter
If I create a wall, and a non-corporeal enemy ends their turn inside it, they disappear (they're still there but you can't see them). If I then cast create wall on the spot where the enemy is standing, that section of wall disappears.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Flee Dungeon Bug:
Flee from a more difficult dungeon just after entering it and the higher level enemy that chased me out of the first one still greets me in any dungeon, in the Goblin Cave for example, any dungeon I enter. hehe that was fun! Seeing that caveman party shout at me everywhere... :D

Gunnar

Arbiter
I completed Hellherron on day 356. :obviously:

Average party level: 16

The final area is very much a slog, you have to battle through dozens of encounters with samey enemy compositions and the final boss isn't all that interesting. Just surround him with golems and go take a nap. After you beat him, you get a little ending story and are then transported back to the Castle... but no one recognizes what has happened, all the dialogues are the same. Also, one of my guys got killed in the battle and I lost all his items when I got transported back to the castle. One question, is there anything left to do at this point? post game dungeon perhaps?

This game had me straight addicted from beginning to end. Now I have to figure out what to do with my life post-Helherron.

mercyRPG

Cipher
How is the combat compared to say Temple of Elemental Evil?
Way, waay better. There is physical feedback. Weapon hits knock enemies back so they hit the wall and suffer damage or they hit their buddies and both suffer damage. You can summon walls, ice, mud, sea of flames, web and lots of monsters and demons, golems. This is why I like Helherron: gritty, brutal combat and lots of thieving, robbing, killing opportunities. :cool:

The only thing I don't like is Antti, the developer took away our multi attacks per round. But we just need to persuade him en masse, that it was a baad bad idea!

mercyRPG

Cipher

The final area is very much a slog, you have to battle through dozens of encounters with samey enemy compositions and the final boss isn't all that interesting. Just surround him with golems and go take a nap. After you beat him, you get a little ending story and are then transported back to the Castle... but no one recognizes what has happened, all the dialogues are the same. Also, one of my guys got killed in the battle and I lost all his items when I got transported back to the castle. One question, is there anything left to do at this point? post game dungeon perhaps?

This game had me straight addicted from beginning to end. Now I have to figure out what to do with my life post-Helherron.

Tikku's cave at the center of the inland lake. Can only Gate Travel there. Easter Eggs, secret dungeons. See the help file linked on prev. pages, a fan compiled.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Tikku's cave at the center of the inland lake. Can only Gate Travel there. Easter Eggs, secret dungeons. See the help file linked on prev. pages, a fan compiled.

Yeah, I checked that out the moment I acquired gate travel, evil bunnies :D

I was hallucinating and all the sprites were randomized, I noticed during my battle with the last guy that one of them was a naked chick in bed - is there a brothel in this game I missed?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hahaha -- Remember that asshole fat dude who sent you to save his sister? Why not try pay him a visit?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I gave the Queen my Divine Rod at the end after I got back apparently, which is only fair considering I went to Hell and back for her, but come on if that sprite exists might as well use it!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow thanks, gonna get this.

edit: so where can I buy this? And is there a sequel yet or just Helherron?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I have started a solo playthrough. Chose a human monk to cover as many bases as possible.

Primary Skills- (i increase to max every level)

Martial Arts
Prayer
Dodge

Secondary Skills-

Trading
Lockpicking
Toughness
Stealth
Mind Penetration

So far wizards are the biggest problem, they have to be carefully handled while the rest of the monsters just run into my fist and fall down. Wands, potions and scrolls are much more important, and I'm using all sorts of spells I never even bothered with with my big party.

Currently level 10, received the time limited quest at Odrewald. I'm not really ready to do this quest, how much time do I have before it fails?

kothyxaan

Novice
My personal wish list, observations and questions:

Wish list:
1)Apple trees (there are ones in some locations) that give fruit.
2)Arenas do not close when you complete the chain. After you complete the quest associated with them they carry on. The difficuly of the arena monsters and rewards would based on the location (difficulty) of the arena.
3)Shops that buy items that are not normally bought but at drastically reduced prices (I know there are one or two in the game... but eh... would be nice if they all did it).
4)An option to make new characters and change them at taverns.
5) Quick combat to have more set up options (no magic use etc, use melee, use missile etc)

Bug:
One of my characters through a knife of returning at herself.... she was feeling sad that day (honestly have no idea how I messed up that bad - wasnt paying enough attention I guess). Game froze was the end result.

Too late for wish list:
One of the things i liked about Nahlakh was that the characters skills went up through use. I really loved that feature, it is a shame this game does not do this (with the speed of the skills increasing based on class).

Question:
Anyone know if the saves from 32bit are 64bit compatible and vica versa?

In saying all that. Thank you very much for going back to your game Mr. Akuukka :D

akuukka

Educated
Yeah, 32-bit/64-bit version save files are compatible.

Really like the apple tree idea. Very easy to implement so perhaps I could add it to the next version coming out in July.

For quick combat, at least the old offensive/defensive selection will come back, but why would you want to disable magic?

kothyxaan

Novice
Thanks for the answesr akuukka.

The disable magic is just to save wasting mana on particularly easy encounters (might just be personal preference - I am sure I played an old game where the option came in handy).

Another update... good news :D

kothyxaan

Novice
More Stuff...
... but my disclaimer first:
Any ideas I think are good, are not necessarily good - everyone has their own ideas on what is good and what is bad.
Also what seems like a good idea may not be implementable (I have no real knowledge of scripting or programming) or practical (too much hassle to implement).
Lastly, from what I understand, Helherron is a hobby for the maker. So Akuukka do not feel stressed or obligated to add/change anything in your game you dont want to. It is meant to be your hobby not your life :)

Ideas:
Auto reloading: This is for characters using ranged weapons. At the end of a fight they will re-load the ammo of the weapon they are using.
Auto Re-equip: This will re-equip whatever equipment the character had at the start of the fight at the end of combat (useful for ranged or in times when you needed to temporarily.
Quick Combat (again): How about individual settings for the characters - Use Ranged, Use Magic, Use Melee etc.
Boats (probably way too much work tbh): Ships to buy, random encounters at sea. Possibly trade.
Transport: Buyable mounts (maybe pets), possibily useable to store some items.

Possible Bugs:
Cedar Village: Blaksab the Villager has no text when you ask him for useful information (I also found two of them by the same name, people do have the same names though irl)
Cedar Village (I am sure it was there): Samu the Villager - same as Blaksab.
Orcslicer: This is not classed as a magical item (found this out when trying to hit a ghost - got the message "the ghost is not harmed by your weapon" or something along that lines).

Aight, thats it.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
So single player mode is much easier than playing with a party. My monk just stomps everything and even started gaining magic skill so now I can cast everything on top of being god tier fighter as well. All stats are in the 70-80 range. I got bored running through the dungeons so I'm just going directly for the end game dungeons and having no problem. Too bad, I was hoping single player mode would be something like a challenge mode.

mercyRPG

Cipher
So single player mode is much easier than playing with a party. My monk just stomps everything and even started gaining magic skill so now I can cast everything on top of being god tier fighter as well. All stats are in the 70-80 range. I got bored running through the dungeons so I'm just going directly for the end game dungeons and having no problem. Too bad, I was hoping single player mode would be something like a challenge mode.
How did your monk fare against Merchant guards and Treasure Vault guards?

kothyxaan

Novice
More for wish list:
1) Shop Markers for town (some symbol to show you which of the buildings are shops on the "tab" map).
2) Next/Previous option for attacking (next goes to the nearest enemy).

Bug:
1) Sometimes when you lose in the arena, the arena screen stays (you are actually outside though and you need to ctrl+q (you wont see the message "are you sure you want to quit" but you can still do so)).

Lastly I have edited the Popehat guide (Helherron_edited), hope the maker wont mind, to include Shamans in the skills section and the front page? (as yet the index Shaman options wont lead anywhere, someone with better info on them can put stuff in if they want).
The skill section has been updated, there has been minor changes to some of the classes (the ranger is actually pretty decent now) and I have added the new skills. The Shaman is to the side of the table, I couldnt figure out how to add them to the table (maybe someone else can figure that out).

I will make a seperate posting with the changes on it.
MAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE IN CASE YOU MAKE AN ERROR. I accept no liability :p
The first one will be the front page, all you need to do is replace all that is in the sheet001.htm file with what I next post. You can open it up using notepad (I use notepad+).
The second one will be sheet002.htm do the same as above but with the second post after this one.

kothyxaan

Novice
Actually... I cant. It keeps putting in emotes and I have no idea how to remove them... And I cant add attachments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom