Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Hearts of Iron

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just to point out, there's a lot more to kill ratios than the quality of equipment. A LOT more.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Just to point out, there's a lot more to kill ratios than the quality of equipment. A LOT more.
That's absolutely correct, therefor I pointed out that the way to compare the quality of armor of two sides by total kill ratio is wrong.

Not related to the argument, but have a piece of WW2 Red Army tales.

The Special Department of the 45th Rifle Division must have
contained unusually inaccurate marksmen; in fact one wonders
whether they were encouraged in their work with an extra ration of
vodka. On another occasion, they were ordered to execute a soldier,
condemned for a self-inflicted wound. He was stripped of his uniform
as usual, shot, and then thrown into a shell hole. Some earth was
thrown over the body, and the firing party returned to divisional
headquarters. Two hours later, the supposedly executed soldier, his
underclothes caked in blood and mud, staggered back to his battalion.
The same execution squad had to be called out to shoot him again.

This one is even more ridiculous.

A Tartar in 284th Rifle
Division, unable to stand the fighting any more, decided to desert.
He crawled forward in the dark from his position without being seen,
but then lost his bearings in no man's land. Without realizing, he
crossed back into the sector occupied by 685th Rifle Regiment. He
found a command bunker and entered. Convinced that he had reached
his destination, he presumed that the officers staring at him must be
German officers wearing Russian uniform as a sort of disguise. 'He
announced that he had come to surrender,' the report recorded. 'The
traitor was executed.'

And I'm done. Don't exile thread to GD.

Calling our resident Hoi3 expert Vaarna_Aarne and others, how do I remove borscht from premises as Italy? I've finally been able to win the battle for North Africa and the middle east as well as gaining complete control of the Mediterranean by holding Gibraltar and Suez. So the Brits are a non issue by now. Russia on the other hand now there is were the real problem is.
TO2OKip.jpg

So this is what Europe + N. Africa looks like, and I took Turkey later. I'm thinking of attacking through the Caucasus which is very lightly defended and taking their old fields and Stalingrad. Would it be an idea to declare a limited war only? I'm thinking that would cause them the redeploy their forces from the German border to fight me in the caucasus. Once it becomes to much to hold call allies and let Germany + France Blitz through the undefended western border. The other issue of course is the UK, do I go for a naval invasion? With all the forces they used to fight me in N. Africa I doubt they have anything left to fight me with there. With the UK gone the most powerful nation in the Allies would be Australia, so quite a non issue.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How big is your army? Because I am quite sure its not possible for you to win classic war with the Soviet Union.

However your cheesy tactic with declaring a limited war and then calling Germany may work. I suggest aggressive opening and encirclement in the Caucasus region coupled with a naval invasion of the Crimea area (only if you can cut off some forces there as I assume you have a superior navy) then strategic withdrawal to the defensive mountainous areas where you can bleed the soviets. Those areas are a true nightmare and if you manage to bog down a big part of soviet forces there Germny may easily roll in from the west.

Another very cheesy tactic is luring soviet forces in and then destroying their supply by bombarding the infrastructure of provinces behind the frontline. Considering how shitty infrastructure in the turkish-russian border should be you should quickly starve a lot of troops.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The UK can attacked with paratroopers if you can't take out the Royal Navy. They won't do a naval invasion on their own though, they need Kwa for that.

Malakal is correct, you probably won't have either the manpower or technology to defeat the Soviet Union by yourself, but the plan to invade through the Caucasus to split their forces (and open your own front) is a very solid one if you can mount war on large scale with good troops. Germany will do the heavy lifting as usual, but being able to provide notable and potent support to them is the vital task of other Axis powers.

Also, is this ICE or standard?

Yeah my army won't hold out against the entire red army alone, but I do think I can provide enough forces to be a major pain in the ass to them especially in the mountainous caucus regions. Well as for my army I have very good infantry and especially special forces such as marines and mountain troops so holding the mountains should be quite possible. Though I don't know how this will end for in the mean time this happened.

zacwFPl.jpg

No Germany please. Please stop. Who thought inviting Persia and other shitty minors into the Axis was a good idea any way? it just opens up more fronts, and now the entire Axis armies stationed at the eastern border has made a beeline for India because a handful of British divisions decided to make a push there. Well Guess I will go invade the British Isles and hope those divisions get back in place in time for the war.

Watch out. Stalin will start the war during Sea Lion, as soon as you take london or any major ports. Though it may only be scripted to happen if Germany is the one doing it, I'm not sure.

If I land in the UK and puppet them (they already have 30% surrender progress from taking the middle east) and then push to get Australia, New Zeeland etc. until there is not a single country left in the allies, what happens then? If I can do this quickly enough I can take them all out before USA even joins the war, if the US can't join the allies what would that lead to?

Having the Russians attack now would be quite bad at the current time, I suppose I have no choice but to push through India and then nationalist China and link up with the Japanese forces. Puppeting Nat. China possibly. And then Italy + Germany + France + Japan + UK = we war you USSR.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its almost 1942 already so prepare for massive russian hordes. I read you can expect up to 600 divisions in 1943. Seems like fun eh.

If I land in the UK and puppet them (they already have 30% surrender progress from taking the middle east) and then push to get Australia, New Zeeland etc. until there is not a single country left in the allies, what happens then? If I can do this quickly enough I can take them all out before USA even joins the war, if the US can't join the allies what would that lead to?

Not sure. USA might automatically become new allies leader, might join comintern, might stay "neutral".

USA usually only joins once they (or someone else in the Americas) have been attacked. Not sure what the rules on Japan starting Pearl Harbor are. Presumably if they are occupied or if USA is too strong, it will never happen and the USA will stay out.

Having the Russians attack now would be quite bad at the current time, I suppose I have no choice but to push through India and then nationalist China and link up with the Japanese forces. Puppeting Nat. China possibly. And then Italy + Germany + France + Japan + UK = we war you USSR.

Unfortunately puppets are complete shit at warring. UK especially you might be better conquering just because AI is so bad at naval invasions. Only time I puppet instead of conquer is when I need extra resources more than leadership/manpower, which is usually only for land on other continents which gives a heavy malus to everything but resources.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Not sure. USA might automatically become new allies leader, might join comintern, might stay "neutral".

USA usually only joins once they (or someone else in the Americas) have been attacked. Not sure what the rules on Japan starting Pearl Harbor are. Presumably if they are occupied or if USA is too strong, it will never happen and the USA will stay out.
Just started playing the game, but I just played as Nationalist China and conquered Japan (even all of the islands) and it still says the US was attacked in 41 and joined the allies. Couldn't even get Japan's land to properly annex to mine after taking all their provinces. I also noticed their fleet just moves to a port in Italy's east Africa provinces. It's so dumb.

@Merk You should have conquered Romania. Then you could punch a hole east of there and move up north encircling Russia's army. I'm guessing you don't have motorized yet? I'd have it researched and my army upgrading at least by now. As it stands now, I'd just put some units on the eastern part of Turkey to defend and have the main force move North. I'd shoot for that port with the airbase at the top of the Black Sea. If Russia's forces on the Persia border move to cut you off, then move your forces that are defending up to reinforce and protect your supply lines. After getting to that port, then I'd have Germany attack. Russia will probably have pulled back it's lines a bit to go after you at this point. Germany takes Leningrad and you go after Moscow and Stalingrad. After that Russia is conquered.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Romania is axis so he can use its territory anyway.

Yeah but do supplies move through there? I've only played a couple games, but in my first game I was Germany over in the China area and Japan had a province between some of my land and I put units on the other side and they ran out of supplies and organization. I was positioning them to attack another country. Even if that's not the case, if he captures territories adjacent to Romania and not his territory, Romania gets the territory. Kind of discourages you from wanting to go through your ally's territory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom