Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It is amusing how the new Parashit DLC have almost nothing,and it cost half the game. They could have at least added a focus trees for all the participators in the war.

^ Top  
  2. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    DD/ Less war merging
    Show Spoiler

Hello, hopefully you can tear yourself away from rewatching the Star Wars trailer for just one more glimpse of the Porg creature... because it's Wednesday! Time for another dev diary for 1.5 “Cornflakes” update and the as-yet unannounced DLC. We have been covering several big features in the diaries leading up here, so now it's time to also look at some smaller features from our "bag of tricks" :)

Control Groups
    This might actually be one of my favourites :D Was reminded about this in a forum thread about UI improvements people wanted and realized I had totally forgotten how nice it was. You can now hit Ctrl+number to save any selection, and then hit the number key again to bring that up. It works with any selection, not just divisions, so you can mark areas, air wings etc and jump between them quickly. Double tapping the number key moves camera to the selection.
    [​IMG]

Consolidate Divisions
    Sometimes after hard battles, or when cut off from reinforcement and supply you can end up with a lot of divisions a low strength. Sometimes you need them at full strength right away and can’t wait for them to fill up normally. The DLC will come with a new feature that lets you consolidate divisions together into fewer, full strength (or as close as you can get ones). Units will move towards the strongest division and transfer over their manpower and equipment when they get there. The system also handles doing it with many divisions in which case it will try to form as many full strength divisions as it can.
    [​IMG]

Minimap & Pinging
    A minimap is something HOI4 was designed to live without, but there is clearly a part of the community that really miss it, so you can now get it as part of the DLC if you want. It also comes with some new functionality for multiplayer. You can ping the map to illustrate to allies of things you are discussing, like where you want them to defend or push, or as a quick reminder like “watch out here the russians are about to encircle you!”
    [​IMG]

Minimap can be toggled to a closed state if you like, and you can still use pings through keyboard shortcuts.
    [​IMG]

Kick From Faction
    With Cornflakes it will now be possible to kick nations from your faction in the form of a new diplo action.
    [​IMG]

Since this stuff tended to lead to some exploiting in the past (players picking off members one by one etc), we have been working on how AI sees this stuff to make it handle a few things… Kicking is possible in war time also and we have been putting a lot of time into dealing with how HOI4 handles wars in code. Basically the underlying system has been completely remade to stop war merging and the like from ruining your wars, or getting nations dropped or included in ways you wouldn't expect. Its one of those non-sexy things that you can't really show but that is going to make things feel a lot better and avoid edge case bugs messing up your day. This also allows us much more flexibility with how we may want to handle wars in the future.

That's it for today, see you all again next week for more updates!

^ Top  
  3. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    DLC for mini map. I thought some of the EUIV DLC were weird, but this is quite something :lol:

I'm just waiting for the first game to offer free save games.
    "And with this cheap 10$ DLC, you can load them, too!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    But you also get to use control groups, a feature seen in every strategy game since Command & Conquer 1 (including previous paradox games)! With such great value I'd expect the DLC to cost at least $30.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    All that is left to do is fix the game,destroy the idiotic peace conferences and make diplo actions(a good one will be a white peace) useable.

^ Top  
  6. Thane Solusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Thane Solus
    Parrots:
    So 10 years, and 200 DLCs?

I think i like the peace conferences, otherwise the map will look like a Picasso. I dont remember much tho.

^ Top  
  7. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    More actually never. They heavily lack the skilled personal needed to do this shit. It is very sad when most mods a far superior than your game and don't cost anything. Last good paradox DLC was art of war.

^ Top  
  8. Anthedongender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Minimap as a paid feature? Sweet fascist Jesus.

• incline incline x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Well it is normal,it is sweden after all. The cancer of the western world.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dakkagender: ⚧ Educated

Dakka
    Parrots:
    What's interesting is I don't think Stellaris has been shafted quite this hard. It seems to me like they've got their most incompetent people working on Hearts of Iron 4. I'm guessing Sweden has restrictive labor laws preventing the company from simply firing them, and they settled for making them work on the project that management cares about the least.

^ Top  
  11. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Nah that kind of thinking needs some brain power. They are simply stupid,incompetent and faggots for real. I had tried my luck on their retarded forum,but fastly saw that it is an echo chamber of giant proportions.Got banned for criticising their games.Lead dev on stelaris a faggot with a nick of wiz. Most devs lick his ass because he is lover or something like that with johan,the lead dev of EU4 and one of the bosses. If you watch some of the dev multiplayer games,you will see that most of the devs are pretentious faggots and sjws.Paradox is one of most imagination bankrupt devs. The original EU was not even created by them,it is Philippe Thibaut game.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Stellaris is still pretty incompetently done. Very basic things are fucked up. There are UI elements like the planets list which will take up 100% of your CPU's time and drive your FPS into the single digits if you open them with more than 30 or so planets active. AI still can't figure out how to invade planets. The game just lags and slows down in general late game. The DLCs have been increasingly low-effort (though HoI4's can give it a run for its money). MP-related things like observer mode, selecting who you want to join as, seeing the galaxy map before the game starts, and chatting are missing or horribly broken and simplified.

Only CK2 and EU4 feel like actual products developed by a professional team. My guess is that they lost someone important shortly before or after HoI4/Stellaris release, someone like "that guy who knows the deep intricacies of our engine and can get shit done even though our codebase is mangled beyond belief". Without said critical person making any substantial changes requires huge amounts of time and delays everything else. It's the only reason I can think of for Stellaris's aforementioned UI lag, such basic things should have been fixed long ago.

^ Top  
  13. Dakkagender: ⚧ Educated

Dakka
    Parrots:
    Damn, no wonder they can't develop worth a shit nowadays. The first time I suspected something was really up was when Wiz cried sexism when people thought the militarist voice in their so-called Ethics Voice Packs was ill-fitting and unprofessional. Even back then, I thought he was a complete asshat. I just hoped his piss-poor attitude didn't reflect the overall direction of the company. I didn't read that forum much since then for obvious reasons, but I also remember that even hardcore Paradox fans were mad when Death or Dishonor was released. Let's put this into perspective for a minute; here was a DLC so godawful, so completely devoid of worthwhile content, even the Paradox fanboys on their own forum hated it! The backlash is glorious, and I recommend reading it when you guys have some time to spare.

Too true. At least with 4X style games, we do have some alternatives.

Even with CK2 and EU4, I've found myself enjoying them far less than I did a while ago, although I can't quite place my finger on why, for the most part. For CK2, I think I remember that point being after the introduction of tribal government mechanics which honestly killed the fun of playing in those regions of the world for me. As for EU4, I think it was some time after they introduced the current fort system. I wouldn't be surprised if your theory was true, and frankly it makes me sad. Everything we've seen from them lately points to it. Maybe I should just roll my copies back to a previous version. It's not like we'll ever get any decent content from them anymore.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    ^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNickgender: ⚧ Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Stellaris maybe doesn't have perfect development cycle, but at least it gets consistent and sizeable updates. HoI4 pretty much feels abandoned on launch and DLCs are half-assed beyond belief.

^ Top  
  15. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Ohhh yeah,i loved the shit storm when they raised the prices during the steam sale and DoD DLC.I even made a thread on the codex ;) . They are sadly going downhill without any a breaks. Most of their games are total shit by now,and are only playable thanks to the mods. They do need some creative,or at least educated people in their team. Looking at their DLCs for CK and EU,i see wasted potential. I can't program to save my life,but with a team of half decent programmers i could make 3times better dlc because i have imagination and ideas. Sadly that is not my job,and we will keep getting stupid dlcs that cost half the game. Oh also their forum feels very dead to me,i visit it from time to time. There is constant traffic and new threads,but almost all of them are with less than a page of responds. Also love how mod are banning people for nothing,a lot of the users have "probation" tag. Love how stupid people commit slow suicide,and don't even understand it.

^ Top  
  16. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Yeah but hoi at least have interesting mods.While stellaris have shit core mechanics. There is no predetermined map,no linier research progression,no clear territorial rules that could mage empire great or shit and many other problems that make making of asymmetrical map/game really hard.

^ Top  
  17. Thane Solusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Thane Solus
    Parrots:
    Public Company and Sweden today, all you need to know about Paradox. They had good start years back, now they are going down hill just like their country. Alas they finally learned how to make UI's ... oh well:)))

HOI IV surprisingly i still play it from time to time. Its a pop a mole strategy which usually i hate, but maybe its the theme, i dont know. Its still alpha tho... so it reminds me fast why i regret buying it sometimes.

Stellaris - beside events and some content on highend (the advanced races, the stations), the rest is meh, a polished turd, but still better than Endless Farts 1 and 2. Myself, I prefer Distant Worlds with all the flaws.

They had a promising future, but once they turned into a public company and Sweden become SJW capital of the world... Bingo!

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Paradox have no competition.
    i still dream about time, where Paradox and Creative Assembly will have a competition and stop sitting on their asses, vomiting blood DLC, minimap DLC.
    Until then, we are doomed to this corrupted cycle of despair.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Just as a heads up, Kaiserreich 0.51 hotfix is out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dakkagender: ⚧ Educated

Dakka
    Parrots:
    I think what we need is a new competitor on the grand strategy scene. That could really breathe some life into this stagnant genre. Neither of those companies is likely to get their heads out of their asses any time soon, not without a serious upset at least.

^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I would play bloodied jewgolds to anyone who developed a game despicting the period between Renaissance and the Napoleonic Era, but with mechanics more like Crusader Kings'. Namely, a focus not on playing a nation and blobbing, but dinasties of people.

Europa Universalis is VERY silly in its bizarre assumption that the middle ages are over NOW and everyone starts leading Westphalian National States from the onset. In 1450 something.
    Most of the period had more in common with Crusader Kings than with normal EU gameplay, or Victoria. It was during the EU period that monarchies started centralizing and creating National States, more especifically after the Hundred Years War, althrough there was Portugal as an outlier.

So yes, we need competition and now

^ Top  
  22. mbv123gender: ⚧ Learned

mbv123
    Parrots:
    I want an EU Rome game that isn't shit

^ Top  
  23. Anthedongender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There's the Ageod games, but they lean more towards the wargaming side of things. And Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West for WWII. But those aren't really Grand Strategy in the Paradox sense.

It's surprising that a competitor hasn't emerged (yet). There's clearly a market for these kinds of games. Surely there are some history nerds with coding skills out there somewhere.

^ Top  
  24. Hoaxmetalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
    Yeah, they're making mods for paradox games :M

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    The problem is the engine and the source. Most moders and people could just make a whole different game like the warhammer mod for CK2. But they won't be able to sell it and make money from it. To make competitive game you would need to make it from scratch in new engine and graphic design etc etc.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)