Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

v1rus

Arcane
OK fine, Malfurion, Guldan and Anduid then. But besides that, nobody uses them on ladder in low ranks. 3 death knights out of the rest is hardly alot.

Control warlock and token shaman are not tier 1 or 2. The meta revolves around morons netdecking 2-3 decks, and those are big priest, raduin, jade and of course the worst cancer, tempo rogue.

I myself play handbuff pally cos its fun and not broken OP like anduin priest is

Low ranks, as in 25-10, or low ranks as in 10-1? Anyhow, Zoo warlock also uses Guldan, so eh, doent really matter. That aside, as I said, all DKs are quite viable, and are good crafts - chances are, most, if not all of em are gonna be in top decks during their rotation.

That aside, I play what quests tell me to play, Razakus being the most fun deck atm. I greatly enjoyed murloc pally with corpsetaker package, but 2 weeks into the expansion I got Golden Pala - and i always stop playing classes when i get golden portraits. Also stopped smoking weed a month or so ago, so, my hearthstone activity has decreased, a lot. :(

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
OK fine, Malfurion, Guldan and Anduid then. But besides that, nobody uses them on ladder in low ranks. 3 death knights out of the rest is hardly alot.

Control warlock and token shaman are not tier 1 or 2. The meta revolves around morons netdecking 2-3 decks, and those are big priest, raduin, jade and of course the worst cancer, tempo rogue.

I myself play handbuff pally cos its fun and not broken OP like anduin priest is

Low ranks, as in 25-10, or low ranks as in 10-1? Anyhow, Zoo warlock also uses Guldan, so eh, doent really matter. That aside, as I said, all DKs are quite viable, and are good crafts - chances are, most, if not all of em are gonna be in top decks during their rotation.

That aside, I play what quests tell me to play, Razakus being the most fun deck atm. I greatly enjoyed murloc pally with corpsetaker package, but 2 weeks into the expansion I got Golden Pala - and i always stop playing classes when i get golden portraits. Also stopped smoking weed a month or so ago, so, my hearthstone activity has decreased, a lot. :(

Low rank as in 5-1 and legend on ladder. I'm not counting tournaments, because those are unrealiable, and not repesentative of the casual playerbase. Yes, zoo warlock uses guldan, but its more a gimmick, than the core of the build.

Razakus priest is fun because its broken and OP. Ppl like to play OP things, because its ez. Priest will be nerfed im sure and maybe small nerf to tempo rogue

v1rus

Arcane

Low rank as in 5-1 and legend on ladder. I'm not counting tournaments, because those are unrealiable, and not repesentative of the casual playerbase. Yes, zoo warlock uses guldan, but its more a gimmick, than the core of the build.

Razakus priest is fun because its broken and OP. Ppl like to play OP things, because its ez. Priest will be nerfed im sure and maybe small nerf to tempo rogue

If you are talking of performance (and you were) casual player-base is not what you should be looking at. Guldan is far from gimmick, he is literally one of the win conditions.

Razakus Priest is strong as fuck, but he is far from fucking easy. Both Tempo and Jade are stronger than him atm according to the tables, and Razakus has the added disadvantage of being extremely hard to pilot. Strong deck = / = ez, look at Patron Warrior. Razakus requests strong management of your resources and good knowledge of the meta-game. Have you actually tried playing him?

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
New dungeon run mode looks like the solution we need. Glad to see someone finally implement an "evolving deck" mechanic because it has been sold/promised but never very well executed in a repeatable manner.

(Free, don't need to own any cards to play, challenging, or so they say.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"Every class is getting a Legendary Weapon in the new set..."

Here we go again. Getting time to uninstall this shit. Double class legendaries are clearly here to stay.

Zer0wing

Cipher
As if any of them is playable and worth hunting down. Warlock legendary is interesting, tho.

Ooze meta is coming.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new expansion came out yesterday. I have exactly zero desire to play ladder or do dailies, but I wanted to check out the Dungeon Runs. It's actually pretty decent fun for few hours. It's free and your collection doesn't matter so it's worth checking out imo.

Grubba

Arcane
The new expansion came out yesterday. I have exactly zero desire to play ladder or do dailies, but I wanted to check out the Dungeon Runs. It's actually pretty decent fun for few hours. It's free and your collection doesn't matter so it's worth checking out imo.

Ya the dungeon runs are a lot of fun, I haven't touched ladder yet either. Big improvement over the previous adventure style, much more replayability. The only real challenge though is the final boss, 1-7 are a breeze (occasionally the 7th can be a bitch if you're unlucky and get a bad matchup). The special artifacts/enchantments that you pick up are insane, can really give a huge advantage if you get some synergies (like starting the game with an extra mana crystal and another that makes your opponent's minions cost 1 more).

So the big stink right now is Deathstalker Rexxar's zombeast ability not getting updated with beasts from new sets, apparently. Was thinking about crafting it because I pulled 2x To My Side and also got the hunter legendary weapon with my freebie, so wanted to try the new "i hunt alone" minion-less build. Not so sure now, probably not gonna be a good deck anyway. Blizzard is kinda in a weird spot with this now, they either keep it as-is and give a full dust refund to all the people who just crafted it (and kill some enthusiasm for the new archetype as a consequence) or they fix zombeast to include new beasts which might limit their "beast design space" in the immediate future (oh no!). There's also the very real possibility that they're so inept that they literally can't figure out how to update it (which doesn't make a whole lotta sense considering stuff like discover and random card generation incorporate new cards). I say just fix the damn thing, is some new beast really gonna make it so overpowered? Hunter needs some help anyway

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Is Blizzard still pulling the "limit muh design spaec" bullshit?

In other words, they're still clueless about designing cards?

Grubba

Arcane
Is Blizzard still pulling the "limit muh design spaec" bullshit?

Well, the oft-meme'd "blade flurry died for this?" question was finally answered this set with the Kingslayer, I guess. It wouldn't be a broken combo but would be strong considering how easy it is to fish out again with Shinyfinder (still lacking a big weapon buff like sharpsword oil). They also killed Sylvanas because it limited what they could do with resurrection effects and random deathrattle shit. Priest with their infinite statues and lich kings is annoying as shit, can you imagine if Sylvanas was still part of the picture?

I can understand the design-space argument when powerful effects are involved but we're talking beasts here and the choices from zombeast are random from a big pool of possibilities anyway so it's not like it would come up frequently. Hunter is the red-headed stepchild of hearthstone, babby's first deck and blizz evidently wants to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I like the dungeon runs, a good idea, well executed. Hearthstone AI is dumb, which knocks one star off.

:4/5:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dungeon runs are the highlight. Unfortunately you can't complete quests in them. I fully expect them to monetize dungeon runs and start selling packs of bosses or 'loot' you can use in them for $5-10 each.

J1M

Arcane
Dungeon runs are a game of the year contender. This is sad because they are the most vanilla and basic implementation of this (previously known) concept possible. I guess the pricing model has previously discouraged releasing something like this. Pathfinder Adventures is one direction a more opinionated implementation could go.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Impressive how dead this thread is now. Especially considering Hearthstone released a new expansion and did a card rotation out of standard.

By the way, the new single-player offering is out, and even better than the dungeon runs because it has some design applied to it this time. Certainly some more interesting card interactions with the hero powers. Everyone should go play that.

Ranked ladder story below.

I've always wanted the legendary card back because unlike most of the others it actually looks classy. This month I decided to try for it. Dusted all of my cards that were in the wild set. Made some good early progress, then stalled out a couple of times at rank 5 and rank 1. Tried different decks and gave up on it for this month as I slid back to rank 4, but today I tried a new variant of Even Paladin and just kept winning.

Somehow went 23-5 (82%) and capped legendary. Game complete.

This is the deck: https://hsreplay.net/decks/cX9aFY7PaoVwfWoP1hmJfh/
The deck does a lot of things that I like, and smooths out the rough edges of the earlier Even Paladin deck lists. I think it's fun to build with a restriction like "only even cards", and I like that the low-cost hero power helps you play on curve. The key though is consistency. Some of the previous decks relied on randomness, like evolving silver hand tokens or lich king spells.

Similar to other Even Paladin decks, Call to Arms is the core card. Everyone understands that it helps get board presence, but the reason this card is so good is because it removes low-cost minions from your deck so that draws in the later part of the game consistently provide swing cards instead of weak minions.

The significant differences from other Even Paladin decks are:
-Recognition that this deck cannot win a long game against control, and some choices to push more damage. (Amani Berserker instead of Viscous Scalehide, Loot Hoarders to draw cards instead of Jailers to create tokens.) I'd tried some of these changes on my own, but the addition of 2x Argent Commander and 2x Avenging Wrath really helped to put slower decks in uncomfortable positions.

-It is easy to underestimate the value of the 2/3 berserker. That extra 1 health prevents it from being removed efficiently. In theory, Sunfury Protector or Tuskarr Fisherman could also be good in this deck, but the enrage effect on the berserker almost always results in it soaking up removal.

-Val'anyr is a choice I was skeptical of due to its high mana cost, but it is a much, much, better end-game sustaining option than Tirion or Lich King. Both of those cards will immediately be removed, and then you have a random lich king card which is often not useful. Sometimes you will get lucky and this will land on your Chain Gang, giving you two of them. Since weapons trigger deathrattle when they are replaced, if both die you will end up with one equipped and another buffing a minion in your hand. An 8/4 divine shield charge minion (that can have blessing of kings cast on it) isn't bad either.

-There is something supremely satisfying about top-decking an Avenging Wrath (which is a lot more likely because of Call to Arms) to finish off a mage that has spent all their mana clearing the board. Somehow I went 6-0 against mages with this deck, which is baffling because I found them to be a bad match-up with other Even Paladin decks.

General tips:
-Understand what you want your first body on the board to be based on the deck you are facing. For example, 3/2 ooze vs. priest to shut down the cleric's card draw. Deciding whether to use the coin on turn 1 or turn 3 (default choice) can decide the game.

-Equality and Sunkeeper Tarim can have some unanticipated interactions with enraged Amani Berkserkers.

-Don't forget that you can silence your own minions to remove the freeze effect. Or a Doomsayer to keep your board.

-Knife Juggler + Call to Arms is a good 6 mana combo. 2x Knife Juggler + Call to Arms is funny.

-It is often better to go face with the second swing of Truesilver Champion than to pass and save it. Gluttonous Ooze can strongly punish it and you are likely to draw another weapon soon.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The rotation allowed me to disenchant most of the Karazhan adventure (I never liked to play with Barnes anyway), so I crafted myself a Keleseth Tempo Rogue (Tess Greymane was one of the freebie legendaries I got, and I unpacked an Edwin van Cleef a while ago as well, so that's even better) and the Keleseth is also serving me well in my Zoolock. I don't really have ambition to climb ranks right now, and there's not really that much to say other than Cubelock is annoying to deal with. Girlfriend only plays two classes, so she actually disenchants everything from classes she utterly dislikes (Warrior and Shaman) and I borrow her slow controllish ramp Druid deck with Ysera / Elise / Ixlid sometimes (she actually has pretty decent dust compared to me, I only started crafting legendaries after the rotation because I was like "What if this thing suddenly becomes meta", and then had to finally admit that there's no way Lorewalker Cho will ever become meta), or we just duel one another. We have fun.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
Impressive how dead this thread is now. Especially considering Hearthstone released a new expansion and did a card rotation out of standard.

By the way, the new single-player offering is out, and even better than the dungeon runs because it has some design applied to it this time. Certainly some more interesting card interactions with the hero powers. Everyone should go play that.

Kinda says a lot about the state of the game when the most enjoyable recent additions have been single-player content. It's not totally polished though...still some wonky AI and broken interactions. Like Griselda kissing the same minion over and over (or actually being able to target minions that shouldn't be targetable).

The set rotation was met with a big "meh" shrug because cubelock is still a thing and will be for another year. Warlock has such ridiculously powerful cards at its disposal right now, K&C really pushed it over the top

In other HS news, apparently Ben Brode left the company. Good news?

GrainWetski

Arcane
The Monster Hunt was fun, but simply way too easy and not enough variety. Only took me 2-4 tries on each hero besides Tess which took me 5 or 6. Did the final hunt on my 2nd try.

Griselda's Hero Power is random minion.

Oh well, back to not playing this game again now that the monster hunt mode is over and done with.

Zer0wing

Cipher
This is the deck:
Is there any worth playing without avenger's wrath? I don't have them and have a choice to craft either Genn or warlock legendaries. Thinking about rebuilding it like -2x AW; -2x either berskerker or loot hoarder -2 Saronite Chain Gang/ +2 Corpsetaker +2 Vicious Scalehide +2 Chillblade Champion.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
This is the deck:
Is there any worth playing without avenger's wrath? I don't have them and have a choice to craft either Genn or warlock legendaries. Thinking about rebuilding it like -2x AW; -2x either berskerker or loot hoarder -2 Saronite Chain Gang/ +2 Corpsetaker +2 Vicious Scalehide +2 Chillblade Champion.
I played a version of it that used corpsetaker. It was fun, but you will want two minions for each of the buffs in there. For example, crystal lion/glass knight/tirion for divine shield. Your only option for windfury is witchwing harpy, but I found them better than you would think.

Without windfury you can't drop blessing of kings on a corpsetaker and do 14 damage to the face on turn 4.

Chillwind champion is probably too expensive. I'd use the scalehides.

You also need two taunt minions, so you'll probably want one of those chain gangs.

The Monster Hunt was fun, but simply way too easy and not enough variety. Only took me 2-4 tries on each hero besides Tess which took me 5 or 6. Did the final hunt on my 2nd try.

Maybe I'm just nubbing shit up/missing something obvious but Evil Toki just keeps absolutely wrecking me (like, dealing 90 face damage by turn 6 multiple times), tips?

The Monster Run component is easily the best part of this expansion, otherwise it's roughly just the 10/10/80 split of must-have/silly-fun/shit-tier cards they keep putting out. We'll see if Brode's departure shakes up the design philosophy, but I doubt it.

Also: painting this thread as dead is silly; I think it's much moreso that Phage is no longer acting as a daily Dr. Frankenstein.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm still playing, I like the game, but the Witchwood expansion is perhaps the most inconsequential expansion yet - and the flavor is rather ZzzZzz as well.

So far this expansion reminds the most of One night in Karazan, in ambition, scope, theme and polish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom