Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

Dorateen

Arcane
Or cut the doors out and put them on purple background.

I think I have just the door overlay somewhere, which I can paste onto a purple brick wall. I'll try that that and see how it looks.

Dorateen

Arcane
All right, I went back and placed the purple brick wall in the doorways, and then added a nice big rounded wooden door on top.

bpGSNHt.jpg

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
All right, I went back and placed the purple brick wall in the doorways, and then added a nice big rounded wooden door on top.

Good work, but the doors seems too big for me :/
In addition, whats up with purple walls? why not brown or darker grey or even red brick?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
In addition, whats up with purple walls? why not brown or darker grey or even red brick?

He already explained this one page back:

The reason I selected the purple pricks for the walls is because amethyst stones have a symbolic significance in this place.

(I just realized that he said "purple pricks" instead of "purple bricks," which makes me wonder what goes on in this location).

Dorateen

Arcane

Good work, but the doors seems too big for me :/

Over-sized architecture is an aspect of dwarven design.

But I appreciate all the feedback. In addition to this one section I have been making changes to, I also did the same to the other area I posted. And I've started on the next map. The purple bricks are only a feature in this one level, so far.

Dorateen

Arcane
A new build of the IceBlink engine for the PC is out, and I've updated the module accordingly. It can be downloaded here:

Hearkenwold

As with previous versions, if anyone happens to be in the middle of an adventure, they can transfer the module saves folder from the build they are playing and paste it into the Saves folder of IBBeta120.

The most noteworthy addition is map coordinates are now displayed on screen (lower left corner, under the world time calendar information). This will hopefully make it easier to keep track of your travels, and a way to designate landmarks.

For example, in the city of Skardale, the party can meet a woman who offers to stitch for them a fancy shirt. But the characters need to return to her house once it is done.

SXNKYZD.jpg

One the map below, the player can note the coordinates of the area and position in front of this house (9,8) for when the need to return later.

ktS4dZ3.jpg

Meanwhile, I have continued working on the new Hamhock content still to be added. The temple location with purple pricks amethyst bricks, is actually a sub map that can be accessed on that level. On the Fourth Hall, the level above, is another smaller map to transition to, used to represent the Mountain archives.

VKLqbyy.jpg

One of the neat things I don't think I talked about yet, a while back we added the scitpting and UI to design pop-up windows for the purpose of key word input. For riddles and puzzles and such. I have a couple of places this happens in the existing module. But there will be another opportunity in the Halls of Hamhock, when the party is asked to remember the name of a certain dwarf. This is much better than picking from dialogue choices, which the player could guess through trial and error. For coders who are curious, it is a script that is set as a conditional on the NPC line used to indicate success, with three parameters possible for the correct answer. If the player's reply is incorrect, there is a fall through NPC node, which fires upon failure.

pOanzco.jpg

This month, I will be starting on construction of the Fifth Hall. These are areas that have less of a concentration on combat. But there might be a hidden encounter the players could stumble into.

Greu

Barely Literate
Hi !

I'd try lo play the game, but I had a problem to start it. After creating characters, when I click on start button, IceBlink window open with a message about definition of an object reference (sorry, french guy here)
xQO6q2H

Is the problem come from IceBlink software or from your module ? Or maybe from my computer (win 8.1 64bits ?) ?

Thanks !

Ninjerk

Arcane
No Frenchies allowed!
Just kidding, bro. Good luck with your problem.

Dorateen

Arcane
Hi !

I'd try lo play the game, but I had a problem to start it. After creating characters, when I click on start button, IceBlink window open with a message about definition of an object reference (sorry, french guy here)
xQO6q2H

Is the problem come from IceBlink software or from your module ? Or maybe from my computer (win 8.1 64bits ?) ?

Thanks !

Greu, I am sorry to hear of your problem. It could be windows 8 related, as I have only tested this module on a Windows 7 machine and Windows 10. I will run again making a new party from scratch, to see if I can reproduce the error.

Otherwise, I can advise you to post also on the IceBlink forum, the more technical people including youngneil1 might be able to help as well.

http://www.iceblinkengine.com/forums/index.php

Dorateen

Arcane
I just had a chance to test this on Windows 10. I started a new game, made three characters and started the game. There should be a one-time information screen pop up, but I didn't experience any crash.

The IceBlink engine does use a version of DirectX, sharpdx, and I wonder if there could be compatibility issues with windows 8. If you want to post a copy of the error message, we might be able to track down the source of the problem. Also, it might be worth downloading again from the neverwintervault link. It should be the most updated module, using build 120 of IceBlink.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/hearkenwold

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The error message is cut off in the image so it is difficult to know what object is null. It is happening on the draw function for the main map screen. If you could, please post the text from the error message and not just an image if possible. SharpDX seems to be working fine as we can see you are able to see all the screens. It is probably an object that is trying to be drawn or information from an object that text is being derived from and the object is null. The entire error message should hopefully point to the line of code with the error. Also, knowing the build/version number of IB will help.

Greu

Barely Literate
@ Dorateen & Slowdive
Thanks for your kindness !
I solved the problem... with a reinstall of Win. The game work like a charm. This is the mysteries of the MicrosoftRPG with random bugs generated !

@ Ninjerk
My frog eater's skill allowed me to pass ;)

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Great to hear that it is working! Hope you enjoy Dorateen's wonderfully crafted adventure.

Dorateen

Arcane
So I've been slowly continuing work on the Halls of Hamhock adventure. The next level I need to build is the Sixth Hall, also known as the Hall of Gathering, which is positioned just under the grand throne room of the King and where he would address his armies or hold other prestigious ceremonies. However, in order to get to the Sixth Hall, I had to finish the Fifth Hall map that allows access to the level above. In the screenshot below, the ramp on the east wall leading to the oversized door represents the passage upward through the mountain.

qN7M4hT.jpg

One of the features of these intermediate levels are the residences of the two Thanes who share power ruling beneath the King. The Dwarves have organized their political structure into three houses: Hahmock, Faxcrest, and Deephill. The King is from one of the clans and rules all others, while the remaining two houses each choose a Thane to represent their respective people. Here is a look inside the dwelling of the Thane of House Deephill.

MKZqOLG.jpg

Not all the Dwarves of Hamhock are supportive of the Thane. The party can meet one particular merchant who voices displeasure with the Thane's behavior in handling the present crisis.

INKZR6J.jpg

Once I complete the highest levels that mark the Mountain's apex, I still have to delve into the remaining, much larger, lowest areas. These include the twisting mines, which dig deeper into the roots of the earth.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
:bro: :bro:

Nice, i screwed my last playthrough by exiting the "slaves pens" before finishing the quests and then not taking a break and getting myself into trouble after trouble in the southern part from there, i'll probably restart from scratch or try to find a viable save.

Great job, you could easily sell the finished product around 10 euros, it would be a great bargain, it's far better than 90% of the cRPG production these days and it can compete with the others, the graphics might be an issue for a large audience and the UI as well (UI is still somewhat iceblink weak point outside of combat) but the quality is there, it's an amazing work.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thanks. The module, much like IceBlink itself, is a continually evolving work in progress. I hope one day to achieve a balance of satisfying content with good enough visuals and play-ability to appeal to the turn-based D&D audience. No higher aspirations.

Dorateen

Arcane
Is it fully playable by now, or just a statement of intent?

It is fully playable, but I'm continuing to add onto the campaign. There's a main "story line", and lots of side content. A few loose-ends, that will lead to more adventures. For example, right now, I'm working on a dwarven fortress. When you reach that point in the module there is a message that you cannot enter just yet.

The link to the current build available to download is here:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/hearkenwold

mondblut

Arcane
Thanks, will give it a try. If there is enough finished content for many hours of grinding adventuring, that's good enough for me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It feels more adventuring than grinding, really, there's a lot of side quests, a lot of ground to cover and no respawn as far as i know (and no level scaling ).

There's also some smart quests, i was surprised by a particular one, it's pure incline, after the rough start, you're in for a treat.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I wanted to upload a new Hearkenwold video. So here is a sort of introductory clip with a starting party just after they have talked to the first NPC. From there, they are able to find the armory and outfit themselves, then head outside looking for trouble without needing to speak to any other Important NPCs. While of course it is natural to explore the castle and gather information, it is entirely possible for the player to skip such things and get right into the action. This design principle allows for the player to progress through the adventure however they want, free from being directed toward a specific path. The only limitation is the competence of their party of characters.

Dorateen

Arcane
Here's an update for the New Year. Internally, we are up to version 135 of the IceBlink engine for the PC. One of the features that was recently introduced is the ability to include enemy reinforcements in an encounter. That is, designated placed creatures who will appear in later rounds. To give a sample demonstration, here is a series of screenshots below.

This is a battle the party can fight with a group of bugbears in the Halls of Hamhock. These are a tougher version of the monsters, with better AC and attack bonus, appropriate for 5th level characters. The encounter begins facing only three of them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ovVHL0s.jpg

However, at the start of Round 2, the three original bugbears are still standing, and two more have joined the fray appearing in the north east corner. This is noted in the combat log as well.

ucTI63m.jpg

Now it is the third round of the encounter. Two additional reinforcement bugbears have been called, appearing in the north west corner. This brings the enemy side up to seven.

:rage:

9i3rWRp.jpg

Of course, the key is to make efficient work of taking out as many of the opposition as soon as possible. Otherwise, in the second and third rounds, their forces multiply. This is one of the ways the IceBlink engine is looking to spice up encounter design along with creative victory or defeat conditions and reactive tiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom