Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

Dorateen

Arcane
It had to be done.

After picking up the Forgotten Realms SSI collection pack two, I started playing around with Unlimited Adventures. Now I can see right away that doing a full scale conversion of this campaign into UA will not be an easy project. And due the construction kit's limitations, I'm sure I could not fit everything into a single module. Nevertheless, the lure is there, to see what it would be like to run this as an actual working Gold Box adventure. So I will probably do a few areas, and make something that is at least playable.

A couple of screens to start with

HearkUA1.jpg

HearkUA2.jpg

As for the long term prospects of the over-arching campaign, I'm in the middle of producing new content for the IceBlink version, and then I will convert that over to DungeonCraft. This UA attempt is a fun diversion, and because I just couldn't resist.

Dorateen

Arcane
What's interesting is that Unlimited Adventures allows a design to consist of 36 dungeon "modules", the equivalent of area levels. The current build of this campaign in Dungeon Craft, I am up to 33 levels. So I might as well replicate as much as I can here. I already have 7 areas built in UA so far.

Aside from importing the art for pictures, I'm trying to keep within the toolset elements available. There are going to be a few places where I have to use substitute monsters. Here is an example of a critter standing in for the enemy that appeared in the original combat encounter:

HearkUA3.jpg

And here's a bit more descriptive narration:

HearkUA4.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
I have 12 dungeon levels built now, meaning construction of the map's layout. As I go through each area, I'm inserting content along the way. But I will need to return and finish up the details. Conversations and especially chained events are always time-consuming.

I have enjoyed working with some of the original wall art from FRUA. Having a water barrier, for example, lent itself nicely to the scene below.

HearkUA5.jpg

Stone arch and flickering torches

HearkUA6.jpg

And a reminder that the party will be facing more than goblins or other monsters in this adventure.

HearkUA7.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
I now have 19 Level/Area maps out of 33 built. So I'm more than halfway finished with that aspect. While playing around with wallset and backdrop combinations, I decided to go with this for a more mountainous region.

HearkUA8.jpg

And because there are no suitable monster replacements for wildlife, I am using text and "Who Tries" events for encounters like this:

HearkUA9.jpg

I'm also making progress on the main quest line. Inserting multiple chains in an event square feels like it requires surgical precision not to break anything. It's very satisfying when the proper messages fire based on the party's previous actions.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thanks, kind of gives it a Realms of Arkania flavor, these particular encounters. There is also a yes/no question presented first, providing players the option not to hunt. The failure state can be amusing, when a character gets trampled by a deer.

Dorateen

Arcane
26 out of 33 levels are presently built. I should have the remaining maps finished by next weekend. With the rest of the content I need to add, I'm looking at releasing this version some time in October. Now I wanted to share some under the hood editor stuff. One of the constraints of the FRUA toolset is that each area has a limit for the amount of events used, and the space for text. The area that I took the below screenshot contains some talkative NPCs. This eventually pushed the limit down to only 9% free space available for text.

HearkUA10.jpg

While this could be frustrating, it did force me to make some creative decisions and come up with solutions that will differentiate the UA version from the IceBlink and DungeonCraft versions. For example, because I'm running low on text in that area, I have had to move a library and statue event to other parts of the castle. Also, two NPCs are not quite finished with the party, so they will have separate events in the adjacent area. I actually like how this gives the illusion of these characters moving around, that they can be encountered in different places other than their set location.

I've had to streamline some conversations, and certainly truncate lines of dialogue to fit in the spaces on Question Lists. But I am trying to keep the branching responses as much as possible.

HearkUA11.jpg

And finally, here's something from a random dungeon. Despite the testing party, it's not really meant for first level characters.

HearkUA12.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:salute: looking good. Now that you are working in FRUA, you WILL need to make multiple copies of your dungeons, and then have to jump back and forth between the different copies to get around the ridiculously limited text and event limitations per level.

One SMALL nitpick.... I HATE obvious dialogue like "This will require a special key". I would rather it be something that possibly requires the party to SEARCH while facing the door and text like "Searching the wall, you can tell it is a door of some sort, however the keyhole is quite intricate and does not look like you will be able to pick it). Etc.... something like that.

Dorateen

Arcane
Ah, making duplicate areas sounds like another neat trick. That's a good suggestion.

Sure I can adjust that dialogue for the door to appear only when the party is in search mode, and tailor it accordingly. That will be pretty cool.

Dorateen

Arcane
All 33 dungeon modules are now built. And I have chained all the events that progress the critical path, main story-line. So what is left? There is still a lot of side content to be added in the various areas. These include conversations, combat encounters and special events. Some are simple and won't take that long. Others are more drawn out and will probably need a few hours to set up. Having all the maps in place, though, I can go through the list and work on each issue. If it's a quest that references something from another location, I like having the physical "game world" already constructed so I can go there and tie everything together. In fact, it does feel like the content is connecting now. Here's a few more screenshots:

One of the things I always enjoyed is when the Gold Box games would acknowledge members of the party in text.

HearkUA13.jpg

This is the fountain area of Khyn.

HearkUA14.jpg

Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes...

HearkUA15.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
This past week I was working on conversations. Next week I will focus on combat encounters. I've also been going through the areas, making sure transitions link up where they need to. After that, I aim to be into micro-issue territory.

Here's one of the longer conversations I have in place with an NPC.

HearkUA16.jpg

This is an example of the type of targeted responses in a Question List, that would recognize character qualities. The original vision of this campaign realized in IceBlink allowed for conditionals that could be attached to each possible PC response. The Gold Box engine doesn't have such a thing. But it does allow for Chains, as in "if not this, then do that". So I can flag this Question List to appear when there is a Paladin in the party. Otherwise, the Question List will not include that specific line.

Unfortunately, FRUA was never meant for branching conversation building, so there is no linking to previous responses. And there is no copy and paste without a third party utility. This makes the creation of duplicate text statements and other events that can happen multiple times, a bit of a hassle. Nevertheless I've tried to retain the feature of providing content for races and classes where appropriate, within reason.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, branching conversations and choices in FRUA is just annoying as hell. One way you can however achieve this, somewhat easy, is I make an entire blank dungeon level called a Go To area. Using your example above, if the player chooses option 1, I then jump the party to the Go To Area 1,0. If they choose option 2, jump them to the Go To Area 2,0, choose option 3, jump them to 3,0 etc. Each of the areas the player jumps to then has specific text for the option they choose, THEN when you need to circle back to text that is not related to to a specific choice, and it used for all 4 dialogue option, jump them to an even that has all that text. I always have a spreadsheet that explains specifically what each area in the Go To Area is used for as well.

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been thinking a lot about having an extraneous area, like Dungeon Module 36, for overflow of text statements or transferring to meet special conditions like you suggested. It's too late in the design at this stage, but I am likely going to utilize that method for the next project.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've been thinking a lot about having an extraneous area, like Dungeon Module 36, for overflow of text statements or transferring to meet special conditions like you suggested. It's too late in the design at this stage, but I am likely going to utilize that method for the next project.

Just NEVER EVER EVER EVER use the last dungeon level in FRUA (I forget the number). That level is bugged. Just never ever use it (you CAN use it for some specific purposes though, but it is best to just avoid it completely).

Dorateen

Arcane
This should be the final update I make about the FRUA conversion of Hearkenwold. I've got all the battles set up now. It is just a matter to tie loose ends together in existing conversations and NPCs. Often adding an extra chain for a bit of reactivity based on the party's actions. I've also got little stashes here and there to be placed.

Once I go through the check list of remaining items, I'll do a round of testing from the beginning, then upload to the rosedragon archive site.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would highly recommend you extensively play the module, and test it thoroughly. Like my Castle Caldwell and Beyond - Chapters 1 & 2 FRUA mod, there are a bunch of ways the party can choose to do things, so I made damn sure every single one of them worked just fine. that took so damn long to test, but I have yet to hear back from anyone, about anything in the module not working as intended. It's best to have a thoroughly tested mod on rosedragon, instead of just rushing to get it there.

Dorateen

Arcane
I agree with that. The one advantage I have (ha, fingers crossed!) is that this is the third iteration of the campaign. So working from a blueprint more so than building from scratch, I think will minimize errors. Not to say I couldn't mess up implementing features in the FRUA editor. No question, there are lots of places where some small detail might be overlooked and result in outstanding issues.

But I will continue to test throughout this final push.

Dorateen

Arcane
I uploaded the module to the rosedragon archive last night. In the meantime, while waiting for it to get posted, it can be downloaded here if anybody wants to take a look:

Hearkenwold - FRUA edition

Just a quick summary. This campaign was designed with an open-ended sandbox type approach. It is intended for a party of 6 characters, starting out at 1st level and unequipped. Playing through all the content should see some characters advance to 5th level.

From the downloaded uncompressed zip file, copy the HEARKENW.DSN folder into the installation folder of Unlimited Adventures. Start up FRUA. Choose "Select A Design" and Hearkenwold UA should be on the list. Create a party of new characters, and then begin to play.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
13964.jpg

My usual FRUA Codex Crew are running through now.

Just some initial observations (and this is merely *my* opinion):

While you DO have this is the read-me file "The adventure begins with the party fleeing an attack on a feudal manor, and seeking refuge in Castle Hearkenwold." I do like seeing some descriptive text right when you enter the world, just to give you some flavor of why are you here? What's going on etc... Just basically add a text event where the party starts, and possibly add some new art with the text and then just some nice descriptive text on what has transpired, and where the party now find themselves, and what they are looking for. And *typically* you do at least add some sort of Intro Module text there too (in the beginning, give yourself some credit :D ) i.e. Harkenworld Episode 1: Electric Boogaloo Rising - A FRUA module by Dorateen etc...

Also if you ever want any help doing HACKED stuff like adding a fancy shmancy intro screen like this:

It is REALLY easy to do (Thankfully due to Dan Autry's TOOLBOX which is a godsend, and SO easy to use. I would be more than happy to help you with that. Though doing such stuff puts the module into the HACKED category, and the player would then need to use UAShell.

Dorateen

Arcane
I do like seeing some descriptive text right when you enter the world, just to give you some flavor of why are you here? What's going on etc... Just basically add a text event where the party starts, and possibly add some new art with the text and then just some nice descriptive text on what has transpired, and where the party now find themselves, and what they are looking for.

I had been thinking about that, the need to ground the player in the world. So I added a short couple of lines on the first step out of the starting square. I was going to use the Iron Wall image with the exploding fireball to accompany the text, but the image never played (just showed the wall) for some reason. The module proper and story set up really begins with that castle big pic narration. The intro forest area is an artifact from Iceblink, early in the alpha testing, narration events would not fire at the start of a module. So I decided to simulate the experience of the party stumbling through the woods to get to Hearkenwold.

Thanks for giving it a run through, and have fun!

A helpful hint: be sure to talk to NPC's twice. Sometimes they have more to say even after their initial greeting.

And it's up on the archive site, fourth one down.

FRUA rosedragon module list

Last edited:

Comte

Just saw this tonight. I will start running through it this weekend. Downloaded it tonight. Yeah if you use the hacked version you can add all sorts of stuff. Time to roll a party. Should I keep Dorateen is he part of the story?

Dorateen

Arcane
Should I keep Dorateen is he part of the story?

No, not at all! Feel free to delete Dorateen from the vault and overwrite save game A. For some reason, I thought it was recommended to include a save game file with the design. You should roll a complete party of your own.

Thanks for giving this a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom