Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HD Outcast.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
It was by a guy called Zenga on the GoG forums, hopefully they'll come back up and he'll continue to work on it.

http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

outcast.jpg

720p picture, res can go as high as 1280x1024.

Still got the strange warpy voxely goodness you'd expect though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I like voxels. They add certain style to the game. That's why sometimes I play crap like Delta Force

I take it's released? Outcast would be unplayable with its 512x384 on my screen today.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
I like voxels. They add certain style to the game. That's why sometimes I play crap like Delta Force

I take it's released? Outcast would be unplayable with its 512x384 on my screen today.

Amazing I agree with Skyway here! Though I've given up on Delta Force and usually play the Commanche games for my voxel fix.

It is out and I've tried it on the GOG Outcast version(the one it originally worked on) and it worked a treat!

I also have the DVD version of Outcast but haven't tried it on it yet.

Trash said:
Dude, you really should let go of that entire graphics fetish you have. Games with low resolution are NOT unplayable. Final.

This is true, but high-res voxels really do add to a game in a substantial way unlike just higher-res polygons.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

In the link, i took that screenshot.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Trash said:
Dude, you really should let go of that entire graphics fetish you have. Games with low resolution are NOT unplayable. Final.

I find upscaling repulsive, and a resolution like 512x384 or 640x480 on a 1680x1050 monitor results in a TINY viewing window if you don't opt for upscaling.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
WHat the...

Downloading nao.

EDIT: does this work with the old CD version ?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Another resolution whore here, I was hoping for something like this! One more sale for GoG, downloading their version in order to try it now ...

EDIT: I can confirm it works, and in a spectacular way!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
GlobalExplorer said:
Another resolution whore here, I was hoping for something like this! One more sale for GoG, downloading their version in order to try it now ...

EDIT: I can confirm it works, and in a spectacular way!!

ok good to hear. I have always been meaning to play this. :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I fucking love this game.

After fiddling around with the ini files I managed to make some tweaks.

1.Open antialiasing_high.ini and change the settings to :
Code:
[Visual_Quality_Control]
Global_Antialiasing= 3
Combat_Antialiasing = 3
Normal_Antialiasing = 3
Dialog_Antialiasing = 3

lnd_aa_level=3

lnd_bilinear_range=16.0
This improves anti-aliasing a bit, I think.

2. Open DOC_high.ini and change the settings to :
Code:
[Render_Mesh]
temples_world_view_angle=35.000000
temples_world_view_dist=17000.000000
temples_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
temples_world_far_view_dist=9000

marais_world_view_angle=35.000000
marais_world_view_dist=16000.000000
marais_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
marais_world_far_view_dist=8000

montagne_world_view_angle=35.000000
montagne_world_view_dist=16500.000000
montagne_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
montagne_world_far_view_dist=8000

ville_world_view_angle=35.000000
ville_world_view_dist=16000.000000
ville_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
ville_world_far_view_dist=7000

foret_world_view_angle=35.000000
foret_world_view_dist=15500.000000
foret_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
foret_world_far_view_dist=9000

neige_world_view_angle=35.000000
neige_world_view_dist=16500.000000
neige_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
neige_world_far_view_dist=8500

neige2_world_view_angle=35.000000
neige2_world_view_dist=16500.000000
neige2_world_far_view_angle=38.000000
neige2_world_far_view_dist=8500

[Render__mesh]
temples__mesh_back_plane=12500
marais__mesh_back_plane=11500
montagne__mesh_back_plane=12000
ville__mesh_back_plane=11500
foret__mesh_back_plane=11000
neige__mesh_back_plane=11000
neige2__mesh_back_plane=11000

[Render_big_mesh]
temples_big_mesh_back_plane=15500
marais_big_mesh_back_plane=14500
montagne_big_mesh_back_plane=14500
ville_big_mesh_back_plane=13000
foret_big_mesh_back_plane=15000
neige_big_mesh_back_plane=14500
neige2_big_mesh_back_plane=14500
This increases view distance of objects mostly, terrain view distance seems fixed.

3. Open object_detail_high.ini and change the following lines to add more snow flakes and leaves. You can put any number you want, I changed them to :
Code:
NumberOfLeavesSmall=16
NumberOfLeavesBig=29
Flakes_number=2000
It seems to work ok.

4.One thing that bugged me is that enemy gun projectiles are very slow and this makes them pretty easy to dodge. What I did was to double their speed to have much better firefights. To do this, open Outcast.ini, find all the lines:
Code:
Speed_of_bullet=
And change them to whatever you wish, but I think doubling them will do fine.

Sadly the ini files don't seem to allow any more tweaks. I'd really like to be able to increase the terrain's view distance and also to change the texture quality to high for bigger distances, since it's a bit annoying to constantly watch the textures change quality as you move around.

PS: If you're using the HD patch and you have a widescreen monitor, I'd suggest using the maximum available resolution 1280x1024 and not any of the widescreen ones since the view is cropped with them, thus you get much worse quality and half of your character can't be seen.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I replayed it around a year ago, on XP and with a program to slow the CPU down. Some annoyances but it worked rather good. I wonder how their version works. I'll probably grab it during a promo.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
ghostdog said:

Thanks, applied all your tweaks. I did not spot the difference, but I presume you know what you're doing :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
GlobalExplorer said:
ghostdog said:

Thanks, applied all your tweaks. I did not spot the difference, but I presume you know what you're doing :)

Not much of a graphical difference, as I've said. Slightly better anti-aliasing, objects can be seen from a further distance and you have more snowflakes and leaves in the air. The biggest change is the faster bullets, since in the original the enemy projectiles where coming on you in slow motion.

spekkio

Arcane
in other thread said:
I used the dvd version. For this you need to install the unofficial patch 4 and you may also need the music patch to fix some audio problems. Other than that I got some random crashes but they were few. No in-game bugs whatsoever.
Tested GoG version myself and it's already patched with unofficial patch #4 (when you run it, it states that all exe files were fixed already).

ZOMG GoG adds unofficial patches without authors' notice!

Music is still funky so you have to use music patch and after that, you can apply HD Patch.

Effect:

512x384 (Original):

2zs6wkj.jpg

800x600:

2rh30x0.jpg

1024x768 (little bit too slow IMO):

30svnnd.jpg

Sensor removed in both cases.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do they do that? Don't they understand that unofficial patches are always changing? So the cleanest way to do it is to have the base game and then let the user install the unofficial patch.

Snufkin

Augur
I've played GoG version on 1280x1024 with forced AAx16 and games run around 25-35 fps and looks very good. MSI afterburner says it takes up to 65% GPU hmm.. so its not fully CPU dependant? Anyways i got G3220 pentium. Game seems to utilize two cores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom