Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HAY GUYS THE NEW VERSION IS OUT

chaedwards

Liturgist
Playing it on my laptop with an intel 82855 graphics chip, the characters bodies aren't being drawn, resulting in a rather spooky starting sequence where disembodied swords and helmets enter the watcher's study. I rolled back to the earliest drivers on intel's site, but no joy - anyone any tips?

A shame really, as I had it before, changed computers and never completed it. Still, getting a new desktop in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that'll run it properly.

LCJr.

Erudite
Is this bugfest worth the frustration? Starting to feel like I'm spending more restarting the game and waiting on Dr. Watson than playing it.

Doing bussiness with storekeepers requires a mandatory save since about a 1/4 of the time moving things around in the inventory triggers a crash.

Weird reincarnation of Jactus complete with dialogue at the remains of dead body encounter.

Freeze when starting combat with Salje.

And some other charming little glitches and crashes.

galsiah

Erudite
LCJr. said:
Doing bussiness with storekeepers requires a mandatory save since about a 1/4 of the time moving things around in the inventory triggers a crash.
Does it crash or just freeze? I usually get an error message asking if I want to debug (not always visible). Pressing tab twice, then enter (i.e. selecting "Ignore") seems to get past any problem - at least in this situation.

I guess I'm only getting the debug option since I've got visual C++ installed. However, maybe you could try pressing tab once, then enter. It might work.

Weird reincarnation of Jactus complete with dialogue at the remains of dead body encounter.
I didn't get this. I had similar trouble once or twice in Fallout though :).

And some other charming little glitches and crashes.
What annoys me most is that there seems to be at least one significant memory leak. A few times after a crash I've got a "Low virtual memory" warning, and hard disk activity does seem to escalate before many crashes.

I also wish there were an option to autosave at the beginning of combat. It is rather vexing to have things crash 80% of the way through a large and difficult combat.

I'm still enjoying it, but it would be a lot better without the bugs.
If anyone has any bug avoiding tips, I'd be interested to hear them.

LCJr.

Erudite
Does it crash or just freeze? I usually get an error message asking if I want to debug (not always visible). Pressing tab twice, then enter (i.e. selecting "Ignore") seems to get past any problem - at least in this situation.

I guess I'm only getting the debug option since I've got visual C++ installed. However, maybe you could try pressing tab once, then enter. It might work.

I'm also getting the debugger without C++ installed. I'm able to alt-tab to it and it reccomends hitting "retry". I'll select ignore next time and see what happens.

I didn't get this. I had similar trouble once or twice in Fallout though Smile.

I got it on the way to the abandoned hut after Jactus fails to return. I got the you spot some remains message and then theres Jactus standing there. I went through the dialogue with him again and when the 1 hour wait ended we were surrounded and savagely mauled by a horde of cave dwellers.

sheek

Arbiter
chaedwards said:
Playing it on my laptop with an intel 82855 graphics chip, the characters bodies aren't being drawn, resulting in a rather spooky starting sequence where disembodied swords and helmets enter the watcher's study. I rolled back to the earliest drivers on intel's site, but no joy - anyone any tips?

A shame really, as I had it before, changed computers and never completed it. Still, getting a new desktop in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that'll run it properly.

I have that exact chip... too bad, I'll stick to playing the demo.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I played it for about two hours (it makes a good first impression so far) and had only one CTD, occuring when I turned the view. I stopped clicking but the view kept turning for a while, pretty fast - and suddenly the CTD saved me from barfing all over the keyboard. Good crash.

xeno

Novice
I too sometime get the low virtual memory warning when it crashes. But I AM pretty low on memory.

Another bug I discovered is that in two caves, when I move the camera too high with my mouse well it crashes. If I move it with the control pad (with numbers and stuff) it's perfectly fine.

I restarted a game yesterday. My two fighters were using bows way more than their main weapon and it was way more efficient. So I started a game with 3 archers hehe. I still have the butcher kid as meat (no pun intended) shield. Besides, it's okay if HE dies, he just get unconscious where others I have to reload :? I'm still wondering why it's like that....secondary characters only get unconscious when they die but when it's one of the 3 main, that one die and it's over??........

Harley

Novice
Description Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
DriverVersion 6.14.10.4342
Memory 64 MBytes
DirectX 9.0d

Doesn't sing and dance I know but should be enough. I too am getting the invisible characters problem though. Fought on through the battle and am in the town but still characters are invisible apart from thier shadows, as are all NPC.
Placing the mouse over a char does produce a green ghost ouline and the char name.
Was running a much older graphics driver but updated to the latest with no change.

Also changing the screen dimensions does not work

[MAIN]
WIDTH 1280
HEIGHT 1024

as they are automatically changed back upon program restart.

The mouse movement is also a little retarded making exact positioning difficult, not a major issue as I am sure I would adjust over time but still unwieldly at first.

I realise this program is free and am very appreciative of the time and effort put in so far. I also understand that to expect suppport is just greedy, but it does seem a shame, after such a long wait, to be unable to play the game.

Platypus

Novice
I bought this when it first came out and am a big fan. I'm enjoying the new version, but I have memory leak and random freezing issues as well. I hope the "one original party member out of HP = game over" is a bug (maybe it was only intended for the first cutscene?) Hopefully these issues will be rectified.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Anywhere else I can get this file without registering with megaupload.com?? Anyone prepared to mirror?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Thanks dude. I look forward to giving it a spin - as soon as I can tear myself away from Lazarus that is. ;)

LCJr.

Erudite
If anyone has any bug avoiding tips, I'd be interested to hear them.

Delete it from your HDD. That's the only way I've found to avoid the bugs.

The older versions didn't run for me on Win2K Pro and this one is no different. Glad I didn't buy into their claims that it would/or would be made to work on W2K when it was still for sale.

It's been massively unstable for me. Even tried running under Win98 compatibility mode with no luck. I don't think I've even been able to go 30 minutes without a crash, usually about every 10-15 minutes it CTD's. Doing anything or nothing results in CTD's with no clear pattern to them. In all seriousness I've never seen a piece of software this unstable.

xeno

Novice
Hey I have a reputation problem...is it possible that when you steal and they say "Hey stop that!" you lose reputation :?: If so, is it alot? :S I wonder if I'll be able to recover from those losses :(

Temoid

Scholar
My cursor zips around at lightspeed on the screen, but scrolling is painfully slow. And so is clicking any buttons, because it takes a good 4-5 seconds to home in on them with the ungodly scroll.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Can't recall that the game was this unstable last time I played it, I'm getting a lot of crashes, without warning, at any point of the game. I really want to play this game again, but so far it's more frustrating than entertaining.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
After a very crash prone beginning, it's starting to stabilize for me. It used to crash very often, but now it barely does it all except for the rare debug error or whatever (and that's not really a crash, as you can still continue playing). Even so, I have it autosave evey minute just to be safe.

Jon

Scholar
Enjoying this alot. Thanks for posting it and to the developers for releasing it as a freebie.

Does seem to be a memory leak though, the game crashes fairly quickly if I run around the map alot.

Slylandro

Scholar
The game's pretty unforgiving to me. It crashes every half hour or so and it's not a clean crash either. I really want to enjoy this game but it's quite frustrating. Presumably it will be patched (again) at some point. Is there some place we should be sending bug descriptions for the game?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Temoid said:
My cursor zips around at lightspeed on the screen, but scrolling is painfully slow. And so is clicking any buttons, because it takes a good 4-5 seconds to home in on them with the ungodly scroll.

Anyone got a solution to this problem? Looks like a fantastic indie title but my mouse cursor is like Bambi on ice.

Slylandro

Scholar
Hmmm I found a solution (sort of) to my problem. In case anyone else is experiencing random freezes every 20 minutes or so in Prelude of Darkness (particularly when you've walked a great distance or just started a battle), it seems all you have to do is just save the game (for example to Slot A) and then immediately reload from that every now and then. I've been doing that today once every 10 minutes and the game's running fine. Maybe it's just luck; I'll see if this keeps up. If it doesn't work, I guess the worst case scenario is that I quit the game once every 10 minutes pre-emptively. It takes almost no time to load on my system anyway. I think whoever suggested that there were memory leaks nailed the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom