Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has RPG Maker Ever Been Used to Create Anything Good Ever?

ToddWasRight

Please welcome our Newest Troll
Queued
Seriously. Ever? The tools have been out there for ages. This cesspool produces more advice about what makes RPGs good than could ever be healthy for humanity. Yet all I see being produced is weeabo shit and Final Fantasy re-makes. Or worse, "interactive novels."

Shit needs to end. And if you mention "A Blurred Line," hang yourself, it's trash and jRPG dick sucking incarnate.

bminorkey

I did enjoy Crestfallen Studio's "The Way" - the gameplay is very mediocre (read: jrpg with a few twists) but the story and atmosphere were excellent.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trolls gonna troll.

I agree The Way was pretty good. "Three The Hard Way" was also solid. Master of the Wind had some pretty clever dungeons. Legion Saga was a pretty fun strategy RPG. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Brandon Abley and Teo Mathlein (who also made Sunset Over Imdahl) made a really impressive demo for their game Wilfred the Hero like five years ago. They've moved on from RPG Maker, it's being made in Unity now but the demo is still one of the best things made with the engine.

My friend showed me this the other day. It's a Picross clone made in RPG Maker. I have no idea how they did this. This has to be the most technically impressive thing I've ever seen in RPG Maker.

Space Funeral is a fun and charming game by a dude called catamites, who also made the fantastic Murder Dog IV: The Trial of Murder Dog. His games have a surreal and totally unique sense of humor that pokes fun at bizarre video game logic. He is destined for great things. . . !!

There was a really neat demo called Rainbow Nightmare that looked promising like 5 years or however long ago it was released. I don't know if the full game ever came out or if the guy who was making it is still working on it or what, but it looked very interesting. I can't find anything about it!

A guy is making a bunch of Might and Magic fan games in RPG Maker XP, including a turn-based strategy game.

Google "Donald Fuck" and search ancient, hyperobscure websites for the best RPG Maker game.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i found it

779GY.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?vk6e07jln0bn1kh

Download it for posterity.

Everyone says Yume Nikki is the best RPG Maker game, but I haven't played it! It's this Japanese horror game that was translated a few years ago and it's supposed to be pretty scary. I don't think there's any combat, it's an adventure game, but it might be worth checking out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The Way was pretty good, even though they cocked up the last part. That's all I can think of right now. Pretty much everything else was a shitty ripoff of Final Fantasy / Phantasy Star / Lufia / Suikoden or god forbid an epic adventure of self insert and his real life buddies in video game format. The Way was the only one with a unique setting, story and characters.

Absinthe

Arcane
Super Columbine Massacre RPG!, or so I hear. I don't know if it's good and I don't know if it could rightly be considered a "game." I haven't played it. What I have heard is that the game takes the columbine high school shooting massacre very seriously and tries to explain the mindset and motivations of the shooters by making the player see the events from the shooters' perspective.

hoopy

Savant
Everyone says Yume Nikki is the best RPG Maker game, but I haven't played it! It's this Japanese horror game that was translated a few years ago and it's supposed to be pretty scary. I don't think there's any combat, it's an adventure game, but it might be worth checking out.
The atmosphere is often very unsettling, but I think the people who claim it's scary as hell are the same people who write Nightmare Fuel entries on TVTropes about My Little Pony.

It's a very fascinating game though.

Wikipedia said:
Players begin the game as a female recluse named Madotsuki, at home in her apartment, the only area she can explore when awake.Though the apartment has a balcony, attempting to open the door to the outside world results in Madotsuki simply shaking her head. Her only means of entertainment are a television, which shows a simple testcard when interacted with, and a Famicom-style game console with the game "Nasu" (eggplant), once described as "the most depressingly futile minigame ever made." There is also a writing desk which the player can use to save data.

When Madotsuki sleeps she begins to dream, and the player is presented with a dream world which resembles the same room Madotsuki fell asleep in, with some minor differences. In this dream world the player is able to leave the room, which will lead to a zone of 12 doors, with each leading to a different world to explore. The environment behind each door is uniquely surreal in its own way. The plot and story of the game is for the user to navigate the main character's dreams and to obtain 24 objects known as effects. "These effects cause all sorts of things to happen, from the pedestrian (acquiring a blanket for Madotsuki to wrap herself in), to the strange (transforming the protagonist into a demon), to the downright demented (the protagonists' head turning into a large hand with an eye in its palm)."Once the player collects all 24 effects and deposits them as eggs in the nexus room, they gain access to the ending. Both natural and artificial backgrounds like a forest, mountainside, a colorful neon maze and a bizarre number world set a strange tone for the game. The player can attempt to interact with objects, although few will provide any response. The player can choose to wake from dreams at any time, by causing Madotsuki to pinch her cheek and awaken. This behavior ensures that the player has a way out of the dream world at all times.

The player can also level up and gain hit points by collecting effects, but this is merely an artifact of the game's engine and has no effect on gameplay. There is no way to actually die in a dream, though enemies do exist in the form of NPCs that teleport the player to inescapable areas. Most NPCs mean no harm to the player, though all but those particular enemy NPCs can be killed with the knife effect.
It's also a very mysterious game that doesn't explain anything, which must be a major reason for its cult popularity. It really gets your imagination going.

Xi

Arcane

A guy is making a bunch of Might and Magic fan games in RPG Maker XP, including a turn-based strategy game.

This is actually quite impressive. It's interesting how versatile those engines are. When people figure out how to do more than jrpgs, my interest peaks. Seems like a great way to make a game. I too got the email that RPGmaker VX Ace had been released.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But is Exit Fate better than Suikoden 2 ? Which one should i play ?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
651820cf6f47f927813904e8449c3c8b.jpg

EDIT: Alright, seriously though. I used to be apart of the RPG Maker community for some time. I never finished a game and only published one demo which a grand total of zero people played and no longer exists as far as I can tell.

The Way is fantastic, but the ending and in many ways, the last episode itself is terrible.

Legion Saga was good, but it's kind of Suikoden-lite.

A Blurred Line would probably be one of the best, were it not for the fact that it's incomplete.

People say Three the Hard Way is great, but I've never been able to get into it.

But yes, most games are terrible.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
man are all the good ones from bog standard high fantasy genres? Any sci fi or horror stuff?(apart from Yume Nikki and the Graveyard)

hell I think I looked for post apocalyptic stuff a while back and what I got was 'desert fantasy rpg with guns and magic'

hurrah

bminorkey

I actually really liked The Way's ending(s). Go figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom