Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Harebrained Schemes to Kickstart BattleTech this Fall

Darkzone

Arcane
Yes that was before Microsoft. And the first game made me a Battletech fan. Sadly the first LAM's designs in the Battletech universe belong now to the unseen mechs, because of the Robotech case. But since the technical readout 3085 they have a new design.

Gozma

Arcane
So MechWarrior is the cRPG offspring of BattleTech (table top) and MechCommander was MS's own FPS creation...? Battletech was Infocom's baby for two games (Cresent Hawk Revenge & Inception) which were clearly cRPGs while MechCommander is the big robot action games.

edit: All in the same universe... got it.

Mechwarrior was originally the P&P RPG built off Battletech.

They used the same name for a non-linear action sim PC game (with a story you had the option of seeking out or not) without any real RPG elements besides buying mechs IIRC. Then Mechwarrior 2 came out and was a linear mission based "action sim" with a story, kinda like Wing Commander.

Crescent Hawk's Inception is a funny, very short little nonlinear RPG with anime gifs.

Crescent Hawk's Revenge is a weird linear mission-based RTS from well before most RTS conventions got nailed down.

Gozma

Arcane
HBS has a good web designer

Brings a tear to me eye to see Battletech with decent looking mechs again that weren't one of the ~10 or so Japanese licensed designs

There were like 4 or 5 drawings in the later technical readouts that weren't toecurlingly shit. I guess they also had to worry about making pewter figurines at that point so that probably put a lot of constraints on the designs.

Silva

Arcane
Is it too much to wish they license the unseen mechs back just for this project ? I LOOOOOVE the unseens.

I meant a tablet game in spirit. Their Shadowrun games are extremely limited in both scope and gameplay, and are my biggest "big KS" disappointment thus far (precisely because I love the setting).
Glad to see I'm not the only one to find their SR games extremely lacking, to the point of giving up Dragonfall in frustration and going back to another GENESIS play through.

Gozma

Arcane
Don't tempt fate asking for them to get into more legal bullshit.

Both the SR games were right up my alley, but for me the first order of business for combat in an RPG is to be not-boring rather than the lofty peak of being genuinely good, which most RPGs still manage to let me down on. For full bore TBS where the combat is everything they need to design something legit tho.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Awwww shit! My body is ready!

Oh I remember every word and intonation from this video. In my opinion, it's the best on-board computer voice I have ever heard.
Game was hard, I remember we played it on x486 (or was it pentium already?) and we failed to finish and beat it.
Oh, those were the days!...

I liked setup, where were mostly lasers, that can disable movement from 1-2 hits in back of leg, hehe. Nova was my favorite from starting mechs.

kazgar

Arcane
The saddest thing is that this is an announcement of a forthcoming kickstarter, so whatever game gets kickstarted won't actually be available until fall 2016 (or possibly christmas 2016)

its a long time to ride the hype train.

Regardless, I'm in.

Black

Arcane
Not boarding the hype train, can't afford to be let down again.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I swear to God If it has the same fucking atrocius UI as Shadowrun.

Cant believe they are making a mercenary turn based rpg. Fuck I want this to be good.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
They just noticed its only a kickstarter, was too entranced by the Atlas back there. And I just finished a papercraft Warhawk. Damn it I really hope they pull a good game with this, fuck why are they makign a new souls like IP with Necropolis and not using the most known franchise for a game?

Maybe the abomination that was MWOnline really fucked them up good.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I simply can't fap too furiously at another Mechwarrior Battletech game being developed, in just about any shape or form. Take my seed, HBS.

Wizfall

Cipher
A TB Mechcommander is a very good news indeed.
I would have been even much more excited if it was more a cRPG mechwarrior like the now very old Cresent Hawk Revenge infocom game.
But it can still be a bit like that i hope.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I meant a tablet game in spirit. Their Shadowrun games are extremely limited in both scope and gameplay, and are my biggest "big KS" disappointment thus far (precisely because I love the setting).

Well, they realized that this was a bad idea and SR: Hong Kong went away from tablets and PC only to get rid of the limitations.

I guess they'll go full PC here too, as the tablet/phone sales were probably rather low compared to the PC sales on both Shadowrun games.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would have been even much more excited if it was more a cRPG mechwarrior like the now very old Cresent Hawk Revenge infocom game.

Wasn't Inception the more RPG like game? It's been over 20 years, so it's a bit hazy, but I have a recollection of Revenge being the one less like an RPG.

In any case, I hope HBS finds a swell mix of tactics and roleplaying in what theyr'e doing.

Overboard

Arcane
Wasn't Inception the more RPG like game? It's been over 20 years, so it's a bit hazy, but I have a recollection of Revenge being the one less like an RPG.

In any case, I hope HBS finds a swell mix of tactics and roleplaying in what theyr'e doing.

Inception was a RPG with turn-based tactical squad combat. I remember being very disappointed with Revenge because it declined into real-time combat with streamlined orders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom