Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Harebrained Schemes is hiring writers - new Shadowrun Returns expansion on the way?

Xeon

Augur
Shadowrun Returns was pretty good until the cemetery I think, IIRC I quit after escaping from the first bug encounter after that. Dragonfall was pretty cool but I still ended up quitting after the base was attacked.

I kinda wish if the third will be kinda low key main quest line, first was a bug invasion and second was a dragon capable of destroying the world or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think you can blame pnp for this game when they threw out most of the mechanics.
They didn't throw out nearly enough, including how the stat system works.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I enjoyed the cemetery fight actually. But Xeon is right how things go full derp when the save the world plots go on.
Dragonfall and DMS would have been so fucking awesome had they not been about the Universal Brotherhood in general or the Dragon itself, but rather those were used as red herrings or distractions for the real setup.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah DMS became shit as soon as the murderer showed his face at the scene of the crime, and then even worse when the save the world plot appeared. Up until then it was an okay game (story wise).
Well, after reading posts like this, I tend to think maybe Morkar was right: It probably is a matter of personal taste.
What I liked most about the DMS-Story was the evolving conspiracy, unfolding more and more.
But it seems that's exactly what annoyed some other people.

All in all, I thought Dragonfall's story to be a bit too cliché and predictable.

Plus, while they were definitely catching the general mood of the real Berlin of today, I just don't fucking like when some feminist Troll tells me how she brutally battered someone whose jokes she assesed being sexist, and my only choice of response is to either tell her how right she was, or tell her that she over reacted (but of course her assessment must've been right anymay). Instead of having any option to honestly disagree; - or something appropriate, like rape her or something.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Dragonfall was pretty good. I wonder what their budget and scope will be for another expansion. Hopefully enough to keep moving things in the right direction.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My only real desire is that they tie in the main dramatic arc in more with Earthdawn, but they seem to have an aversion.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why hire more writers? Wasn't growing too much their biggest problem? Or were the former writers hired on a project basis?
They had some contracted writers, yes. This is a contract-position too.

Darkzone

Arcane
About the Troll Lady 'Eigner', she had to do it, else she would be not respected in her squad. The bad Joker has compromised her position in the squad, and therefore has even endangered the whole squad. To save this situation, she had to leave the military or to kick his ass in such a way that everybody would know what will happen if they cross the boundary. She choose the second one, gaining respect from the other military personal, which made her not look as a female, but as a squad member who can kick ass, if necessary.
This is not about some femistic BS, but real human psychology.

Overall DMS and DF lacked things in different departments, but DF was definitely better. Also DF was not save the world, but to save Berlin and therefore the Dragons.
What DF made better was that you had a feeling of being a mercenary leader and you had a 'choice'(not really) of accepting a mission or not. They need more to build up on this, and have different 'Runs' that you can make or not, and also the ability to acquire more information for a run, to choose your squadmates better for the mission (They Stole a Million). Or even have the ability to influence the run, before the run with bribery and etc. Also more solo missions with different approaches would be good, with a little more of a film noir touch like BladeRunner. This should also mean a real good detective story behind the scene, that you have to really figure it out. Not just run from A to B to solve Q.
Naturally the main choices should also have real consequences. In case of the ghouls, it would be good that they would help to attack the mercenaries, in the defending of Kreuzberg.

Overall there is much unrealised potential that can be utilised in a Shadowrun world.

naossano

Cipher
About all the bashing, let's agree that it is hard to be sure if it is an RPG or not, but it remains a quite good game, with great atmosphere/writting/music/level design/etc...
Call me a graphic whore, but i rarelly seen a game as beautifull. It prove that you don't have to be in HD to be beautiful. Shadowrun isn't but it beat the floor of all HD games. It doesn't try to be "realistic", just amazingly good looking.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
About all the bashing, let's agree that it is hard to be sure if it is an RPG or not, but it remains a quite good game, with great atmosphere/writting/music/level design/etc...
No need to agree on silly things like that. Shadowrun absolutely is an RPG.

Shadowrun Returns was pretty good until the cemetery I think, IIRC I quit after escaping from the first bug encounter after that. Dragonfall was pretty cool but I still ended up quitting after the base was attacked.
Keep fucking playing. DMS has some really exciting runs to the very end, even if the illusion of choice is stripped away. DF remains great to the end. Especially now that the Director's Cut improved it on pretty much every aspect.

Hating on SRR now, claiming that the story is shit or mechanics are shit or whatever is just more 2edgy4me-shit-posing. It's not perfect by any means but it definitely tries, hard and is quite a fun RPG.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hating on SRR now, claiming that the story is shit or mechanics are shit or whatever is just more 2edgy4me-shit-posing. It's not perfect by any means but it definitely tries, hard and is quite a fun RPG.

He actually said that they were "pretty good" and "pretty cool," but that he didn't care to finish them, presumably because they didn't hold his interest.

Reread what you wrote there, contemplate the irony of such a caricature of the defensive fanboy bitching about "edgy haters," and perhaps lay off the fanboy Kool-Aid in future... or not. This is the Codex, after all.

almondblight

Arcane

Eh...I found DMS OK, but they were pretty much on rails, and you could only do the one thing or go the one place that the developer wanted you to go next. If you left a building, you couldn't even go back in (or if you went into a building, you couldn't walk out again). The game consisted of "do the thing we want you to do on this map, fight the fight we give you, then exit to the next map and do the same." Just about every user created mod of any length is much more open than DMS.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Openness isn't the be-all-end-all of RPG's. DMS has some good encounters and atmospheric battles down the line. Yes, even with the bugs. Quitting it when you first encounter Bug Spirits is silly in my opinion. Same with the "base" being attacked in Dragonfall, except that the game does really well even after that.

He actually said that they were "pretty good" and "pretty cool," but that he didn't care to finish them, presumably because they didn't hold his interest.

Reread what you wrote there, contemplate the irony of such a caricature of the defensive fanboy bitching about "edgy haters," and perhaps lay off the fanboy Kool-Aid in future... or not. This is the Codex, after all.
Typical use of paragraphs is to separate two different arguments or claims or ideas from each others. In my post, it's clear that my second paragraph is a direct response to Xeon, as I quoted him. My third paragraph, however, is a general response to the typical edgy Codexers who have popped up often enough in this thread and who shit on SSR with very dubious arguments. Like the whole "it's not an RPG" bullshit. Learn to separate different arguments Blaine, and your life will improve.

almondblight

Arcane
Super linearity works in something like an SRPG, because it tells you what you did between battles, then drops you in the next one. In SRR, you're told to explore the Barrens or Uptown or wherever, but you have this linear path through the streets until you get to the building you're supposed to be in, then you click on the building and you're stuck in it until you go through the linear path inside it.

Look at a relatively linear SRR mod like A Stitch in Time (which I recommended), by contrast. It's linear, but doesn't feel like it's on rails. That's because, though missions happen in a linear fashion, there are buildings you can walk in and out of and you'll end up going back and forth through a single neighborhood multiple times to do missions. On your way through the different missions, there's several things you might come across - side quests, people to talk to, etc. You feel more like you're hanging out in a neighborhood. In contrast, DMS feels like you're running down a corridor from the beginning to the end.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Which they improved hugely in Dragonfall and even more in DC.

Many things about DMS scream that they ran out of money and time.

Typically when you are producing a Game AND a toolset, the main game ALWAYS suffers. See NWN, NWN2 for examples.

I'm 99% sure that is why Obsidian did not do a toolset for Eternity. Though Wasteland 2 turned out OK.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom