Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Harebrained Schemes is hiring writers - new Shadowrun Returns expansion on the way?

Gondolin

Arcane
Fighting wave after wave of boring enemies in a game where ammo isn't even an issue gets old really fast. Like 15 years ago fast.

Wizfall

Cipher
I was a backer of SR and enjoyed the OC a lot.
It was linear but very pleasant and it nicely fed my craving of a shadowrun game.
It was a great achievement to make what they have done in a so limited timeframe.

Unfortunately the nature of the editor/character system/campain is way too simple to be enjoyable for very long, especially after the discovery effect gone.
It suited perfectly the OC but at the end i was tired by it and did not even play dragonfall.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I unashamedly put SRR: Dragonfall in my top 3 RPGs for the last 10 years, easy. The story and characters were pretty great. The character system could have been a little deeper, but it was leaps and bounds ahead of any new properties I've played in a long time. They fucking nailed the Shadowrun universe, to a "T". I find it hard to quibble with any of it. I even liked the graphics, insofar as I only minimally care about that shit anyways.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragonfall actually made me glad for backing them on Kickstarter, while far from perfect its was pretty good and a major upgrade to the OC, so looking forward to this.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I even liked the graphics, insofar as I only minimally care about that shit anyways.
:o The graphics were fucking gorgeous. Not PoE level, but still...

They were okay looking. Quite obviously designed with a tablet's limitations in mind, but I don't care about that.
Exactly what are "tablet's limitations" when it comes to 2D graphics?

Why are you qualifying it with "2D graphics"?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I even liked the graphics, insofar as I only minimally care about that shit anyways.

They were okay looking. Quite obviously designed with a tablet's limitations in mind, but I don't care about that.

Because we're talking about a 2D game. That should be obvious really, I'm not sure why you're asking. The limitations when it comes to 3D are obvious, nothing to discuss there..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lot of dreamers unaware about diminishing returns in this thread.

Hey, that should be the name of the expansion.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Because we're talking about a 2D game. That should be obvious really, I'm not sure why you're asking. The limitations when it comes to 3D are obvious, nothing to discuss there..

You're including your answer into the premise of your question. One of the limitations of a tablet is that it cannot do 3D graphics very well (if at all). For all we know, the game was 2D precisely because it was made for a tablet. Which would be (one of) the graphical limitations I was referring to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think your knowledge of what tablets are capable of may be a few years out of date, Decado.

There are 3D first person shooters for phones and tablets

Septaryeth

Augur
I enjoyed Dragonfall but I honestly doubt how are they going to top themselves beyond that.:M
The story content is a whole lot better, with some new designs for combat, but all the other problems in the OC are still there.
I wouldn't mind a surprise, but I'm not getting my hope up either.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope they improve the formula even further. Dragonfall was a step in the right direction and the combat was more or less okay, but I found too much about it lacking and just outright boring (though still better than the OC).

Yeah, game had atmosphere in spades but not much else. Yet another KS game with so much unrealized potential it makes yr heart hurt.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Y'all are making me want to pick up Dragonfall now...

I can imagine SRR's lightweight design being fairly accommodating to quick expansions/campaigns. Maybe that's why they're hiring writers instead of programmers.

Repressed Homosexual
So sad to see Codexers defending a piss easy tablet game with terrible BioWarian characters, no freedom, no exploration, a combat system that even Avadon puts to shame, a terribly boring and generic ambiant soundtrack from washed out has beens. The descriptions are the absolute single good thing about it.

This is everything that the decline represents, and people who claim to only like hard core DOS RPGs from the 80s and early 90s are embracing it with open arms. I've seldom seen anything as pathetic.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee What was "outright boring" about Dragonfall?

Exploration, level design, companions, itemization, off the top of my head. The writing was serviceable but very bland, too; I just clicked through it most of the time.

It's hard to say what wasn't boring or simply mediocre about the game, actually. The setting maybe, though I didn't feel like the game got close to realizing the setting's potential either. Atmosphere was good, though.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exploration, level design

And then I remember that I'm talking to a girl whose idea of excitement is 80s dungeon crawlers.

As for why I can never agree with that, I have one word for you: CYBERZOMBIE.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cyberzombie? I don't even know/recall what you're talking about, and I did play both OC and Dragonfall. :P

Also, I enjoy basically all kinds of RPGs, as long as the game has at least some good or unorthodox design. Shadowrun Returns is just a "safe" effort all around; it does some things competently, but there isn't a single element that could be called outstanding or just very good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Cyberzombie? I don't even know/recall what you're talking about, and I did play both OC and Dragonfall. :P

The AG Chemie Europa mission. Big cybernetic troll you get to control like a rigger's drone, with an axe and a minigun? You get to use to him tear through a whole platoon of Knight Errants? I hope you didn't skip it!

And that's just one example. Dragonfall's missions each had a unique "hook" that broke the tedium. The Aztechnology mission with its non-combat possibilities, the bait-and-switch with the captured psychotic Dwarf shadowrunner, etc. I found them consistently engaging.

They just...were not boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom