Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did Shadowrun games sold that poorly for them go and try do some irrelevant shit in genre that they have no experience? Couldn't have they just kept making rpgs? I doubt that i will be interested in their game in the next decade or so,judging by the shit they make now.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Generally indie/AA companies have a hard time breaking out of the mold of what brought them success, which leaves them vulnerable after the public gets sick of whatever their niche is. On one level HBS seems to be aggressively trying to avoid that fate. On the other, HBS staff just seem to want to tackle many different kinds of project.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Generally indie/AA companies have a hard time breaking out of the mold of what brought them success, which leaves them vulnerable after the public gets sick of whatever their niche is. On one level HBS seems to be aggressively trying to avoid that fate. On the other, HBS staff just seem to want to tackle many different kinds of project.
Yeah but the public doesn't buy their games,the niche do. IF you want to break the mold then do it as a secondary project not as the main thing. Also the best thing is if you bring some innovation while keeping the genre. You don't go around jumping from genre to genre in the search of the big money. Honestly don't see HBS surviving a lot longer as a AA dev. Their upcoming games will most likely flop,i certainly don't care about them. Jumping heads up in some random shit an wasting years is stupid. Keep to the genre and iron a name for your self like Obsidion and Larian did.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did Shadowrun games sold that poorly for them go and try do some irrelevant shit in genre that they have no experience? Couldn't have they just kept making rpgs? I doubt that i will be interested in their game in the next decade or so,judging by the shit they make now.

According to Steamspy, their sales were going in the wrong direction. From SRR to Dragonfall to Hong Kong, they sold ~1.1 mil, ~0.80 mil and ~0.55 mil. For the HK releases, I can confirm that that data includes pre and post Extended, but I'm not sure about the DF Director's Cut (can't find if there was a different appid for it).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

According to Steamspy, their sales were going in the wrong direction. From SRR to Dragonfall to Hong Kong, they sold ~1.1 mil, ~0.80 mil and ~0.55 mil. For the HK releases, I can confirm that that data includes pre and post Extended, but I'm not sure about the DF Director's Cut (can't find if there was a different appid for it).

Original Dragonfall was a Shadowrun Returns DLC, no data.

And yes, Harebrained Schemes had to change direction. Their low-fi engine had them trapped in a dwindling niche. Hope for an RPG using the BattleTech engine someday.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno, maybe they wanted some small project so the staff could get used to Unity 3d by the time Battletech rolled up?

DeepOcean

Arcane
And yes, Harebrained Schemes had to change direction. Their low-fi engine had them trapped in a dwindling niche. Hope for an RPG using the BattleTech engine someday.
Shadowrun Returns 2 on 3d, with rigging vehicles, astral plane and all that stuff would be pretty good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shadowrun is also on Unity. :)

But yeah I don't get this clamoring for moving Shadowrun from nice-looking tiles to uglier-looking 3D with a likely worse camera.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah I agree, if they became a Shadowrun factory it would put them out of business really quickly. First game was passable in terms of production values but since then Obsidian and Larian have outstaged them by light years in terms of tech and it really showed in SH:HK.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah I agree, if they became a Shadowrun factory it would put them out of business really quickly. First game was passable in terms of production values but since then Obsidian and Larian have outstaged them by light years in terms of tech and it really showed in SH:HK.
Hong Kong sold more than Tyranny and I personally prefer its art style. :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Oh it's not that I'm personally that bothered about graphics. I'm just saying just that they can't be charging $30-40 for a game that looks like this anymore. They had to make a jump forward or they'd lose their position in that select group of "AAA crowdfund devs".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh it's not that I'm personally that bothered about graphics. I'm just saying just that they can't be charging $30-40 for a game that looks like this anymore. They had to make a jump forward or they'd lose their position in that select group of "AAA crowdfund devs".

None of their games have ever been that much. SRR and HK both debuted at $20.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, Necropolis is also briefly mentioned in the interview. Mitch says they were forced to release it too early.
What a load of shit. They even delayed it to make a console version. They had plenty of time but could only poop out a very very VERY shallow low-res version of Dark Souls. The Shadowrun games were... okay. Nothing amazing. A step above Spiderweb Software but that's not saying much.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I hope BattleTech will be successful...
I think this will be their best hit.
Most likely it will flop hard,mech niche is a lot smaller than the rpg niche. I might pirate the game and give it a try,but i doubt that i will get pass the first few levels. Still i am going in with opened mind,if it is good then i might buy it. But looking at it,not impressed,no rpg progression,no side missions and C&C.

Still they could have gone for another rpg,not only shadowrun. I see no reason to go for shit like Necropolis or the Mech game. Don't remember seeing Larian or Obsidian going around making shitty CoD clones or survival MMOs. Also i don't care how the fucking games look,if it is good game i am ready to shil the money. Both Dragonfall and Hong Kong are far superior games than that pisshole Tranny. Also they look great,can remember more visual shit from any shadowrun game than tranny.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Got this email:

Hoi Chummers!

Since you've been such a great supporter of the Shadowrun universe, we wanted to make sure you know that Catalyst Game Labs is in their 6-day countdown for the Shadowrun Sprawl Ops Kickstarter campaign. It's a worked-placement push-your-luck dice game that is blowing up over on Kickstarter right now. We hope you duck in for a quick glance.

The staff at Catalyst Game Labs also wanted to send another reward along, to thank you all for being incredible backers of the Shadowrun universe. This novel by Russell Zimmerman is chock full of Shadowrun goodness and we are all very excited about it and the books to follow! You'll find the pdf at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4s-3pmFgnGqh5bN5ZZC-zFuKjTOBJvK/view?usp=sharing

And, exciting news, they'll be creating a card specifically from the world and storyline of Shadowrun Returns for this game

Cheers!

HBS

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron the "Kickstarter right now" link is borked - the one from the email times out on "localhost" (mobile safari), while your version doesn't resolve and gives a "Corrupted Content Error" on FF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom