Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Harebrained Schemes acquired by Paradox Interactive

Doma

Augur
I dunno guys. Dont think I can join the circlejerk on this one. I fucking love Battletech. Its my GOTY so far.

And this probably means I can get more.

Yes please.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Haha Doddering Fergus must be having a sissy fit over this... all his pandering to Paradox, hell to ANYBODY to buy Obsidian an allow him to retire to challenge Saint Gabe for the fatest slog in the gaming industry and HBS get bought for peanuts
I dont care much for HBS or their games but good for them, Paradox is a good company and I think this is a good fit

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Fabulously optimistic to assume that a dev that finally made it big with an XCOM-like was acquired to develop a straight-up RPG. Some kind of "tactical RPG", maybe.

In the WoD.

Paradox is really on a shopping spree - they have too much money on their hands and are desperately looking for investments.

Last edited:

Doma

Augur
I dunno guys. Dont think I can join the circlejerk on this one. I fucking love Battletech. Its my GOTY so far.

And this probably means I can get more.

Yes please.

Enjoy paying for new portraits and mech colors for just 4.99 each!
Played CK2 since release. Still have not bought any portraits. Expansions still good!

Zanzoken

Arcane
The next Shadowrun needs to be about rolling your own crew and just fucking shit up.

The setting has potential but I'm tired of the whiny emo companions and railroaded plots.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ruh roh!!

They have to sell the company to pay the bills now. Golly gee, I wonder went wrong...

Y79GPci.jpg

The SJWism and far-left politics that HBS embraces are cancer

Whats up with infinitron retarded rating when there is empircal evidence for that lol??

almondblight

Arcane
The next Shadowrun needs to be about rolling your own crew and just fucking shit up.

Best chance of this is probably whenever the Trese brothers get around to making Cyber Knights 2 (which they seem to be planning to do before too long).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
:abyssgazer:

That feeling you get when you realize the only hope for a good Battletech game is for Microsoft to realize the IP has value and license it to someone other than HBS/Paradox.

Flou

Arbiter
Haha Doddering Fergus must be having a sissy fit over this... all his pandering to Paradox, hell to ANYBODY to buy Obsidian an allow him to retire to challenge Saint Gabe for the fatest slog in the gaming industry and HBS get bought for peanuts

If the owners wanted to sell at a cheap price, they would have done so by now. It's not like there hasn't been offers. Splitting 7.5 millions between 5 owners doesn't leave them with much of retirement fund though. Even now with 4 it would still be a low number to retire with after you pay taxes.

Flou

Arbiter
However, Paradox might had bought the studio to get the rights for Battletech, not the IP, but the game.

I dunno, but by buying now when the game just got released, the future sales will pretty much alone cover the cost of the acquisition.

The sweet money however is on the DLC, Pdox wont have the IP but they will have a nice platform for milking Battletech fans with DLC and a team that actually got some experience making the game.

If they do some asset flipping, and make an open ended DLC where you can work for all houses, expanding the mercenaries portion of the game and removing the linear campaign out of the picture, they could make some decent cash and it would be a bargain for them to make.

Battletech fans are some of the easiest cows to milk.

Imagine removing all the pretension of RPG and releasing endless DLC like they do with Stellaris?

That is some easy money.

This is very true. Mechwarrior/Battletech fanbase is quite loyal to the IP.

Endless amounts of DLCs are incoming and I wouldn't put it past Paradox that they are already planning a EU/HOI -kinda game in the Battletech universe.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I remember reading somewhere (no citation sorry) that HBS had no intention of giving up on Shadowrun, but that after their Battletech boner they wanted to give Shadowrun the "full 3D treatment." Sooo....some shitty Shadowrun action game?

Ya know....the mod tools are there. If some good writer with experience in the Shadowrun world wanted to make a good mod based on Returns/Dragonfall toolset....

Calling all DungeonMasters.....

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems doubtful that there will be any more Kickstarters now, no?
You mean, because there are no Kickstarters for companies/projects that clearly have the dough, but are just trying to raise some more via KS or similar?
Right...

Sooo....some shitty Shadowrun action game?
That would probably sell quite well among SR fans, but I doubt PDX going so far from their established genres.
I would welcome a good SR action game.
Hell, even a shooter.
That fucked up SR shooter that was on XBox wasn't bad because it was a shooter. It was bad because it was a bad shooter and didn't even get the setting right.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Mitch Gitelman: We love the Shadowrun Universe and would very much like to return to it again one day so we could continue to explore how magic’s return to the cyberpunk future of the 2050s affects different locations and cultures around the globe. After three Shadowrun games, a Director’s Cut, and an Extended Edition in three years, we need to give the team a rest so they can recharge their creative batteries. If and when we eventually return to Shadowrun, it’ll be in a new game engine and with a new creative approach.
http://gameranx.com/features/id/36440/article/shadowrun-hong-kong-interview-with-mitch-gitelman/

Granted that's pretty old, but that's what I based my comment on.

Obviously with a new publisher taking control, and with the greater success of a different IP, that statement could be entirely without merit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems doubtful that there will be any more Kickstarters now, no?
You mean, because there are no Kickstarters for companies/projects that clearly have the dough, but are just trying to raise some more via KS or similar?
Right...

Nothing's impossible, but my experience is that the liabilities and commitments of a Kickstarter are something that publishers prefer to avoid.

Cael

Arcane
I don't see the reason why you have to act retarded on this. They have a pretty decent fanbase, who bought their games and even more importantly, pledged a lot to each of their kickstarter.
So, did Hitler. Post-1945, though...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They have a pretty decent fanbase, who bought their games and even more importantly, pledged a lot to each of their kickstarter.
Holy shit, when did Shadowrun become such an incline in here...
Since Dragonfall, my dear newfag. Also, the Codex != outside world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom