Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Harebrained Schemes acquired by Paradox Interactive

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: BattleTech; Fredrik Wester; Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Mitch Gitelman; Paradox Interactive

The Codex doesn't seem to like BattleTech all that much, but despite that (or perhaps because of it?) the game appears to have been quite successful for Harebrained Schemes. So successful in fact, that a month and a half after its release, Paradox have decided to acquire the Seattle-based studio outright for $7.5M. Not bad for a bunch of "mobile devs"! You can watch Jordan and Mitch make the announcement here and read about the terms of the deal here. And here's Paradox's press release:

STOCKHOLM and SEATTLE - June 5, 2018 - Paradox Interactive, a publisher and developer of interactive entertainment, today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire Harebrained Schemes, LLC, a Seattle-based developer of award-winning games set within genre-defining universes. Harebrained Schemes will now act as an internal studio and division within the Paradox organization, led by its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation.

Harebrained Schemes was founded in 2011 by industry veterans Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman. Weisman is the creator of many acclaimed game universes including Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, and BattleTech/MechWarrior, and has founded several previous entertainment companies including FASA Corp, Virtual World Entertainment, FASA Interactive, 42 Entertainment, and Wizkids. At Harebrained Schemes, the partners-in-crime assembled a scrappy, talented team and shipped eight titles in seven years including the award-winning Shadowrun Returns series of CRPGs and the recently released turn-based strategy title BATTLETECH, published by Paradox.

“Harebrained Schemes have proven themselves as a world-class studio with a very talented team within a genre where Paradox wants to be present,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “In addition, we really like the studio, the people who run it, and their games; these are all absolute hard criteria for us in any acquisition. Our recent successful launch of BATTLETECH, our first project together, has been a fantastic collaboration, but the possibilities of what we can do together in the long term now that we’ve joined forces -- that’s what has us truly excited.”

“Mitch and I started Harebrained to create the kind of story-rich tactical games we loved,” said Jordan Weisman, CEO of Harebrained Schemes, “and for the last seven years, our studio has been fueled by our team’s passion and by the generous support of our fans. As the scale of our games has grown and the marketplace has gotten extremely noisy we felt that HBS needed to team up with a company that could provide us the financial stability and marketing expertise that would allow us focus on what we love doing - making great games and stories.”

Mitch Gitelman, Harebrained Schemes’ President, added, “Our experience working with Paradox on BATTLETECH was the best of our careers and proved to us that this was a company we would be proud to be a part of. What’s more, we’ve gotten to experience the incredible audience that Paradox has firsthand: the fans who we met at PDXCON in May after having launched our game were so full of enthusiasm and appreciation. We share a deep respect for our audiences, for healthy and collaborative teams, and for the creative process itself -- the fit just works.”

As a token to welcome all fans of Harebrained Schemes to the Paradox family, Paradox will give a complimentary copy of Stellaris, the sci-fi grand strategy game from Paradox Development Studio, to every player who backed BATTLETECH on Kickstarter. For further details on this new arrangement, Wester and Weisman will appear on a live-streamed presentation and Q&A session in the near future on the Paradox Interactive Twitch channel, found at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.
    On their forums, Paradox published a FAQ to explain what this means for Harebrained Schemes going forward:

What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?
    Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided.

This arrangement came about due to the excellent experience both companies have had while working together on BATTLETECH. Everybody believes this is a great fit.

Is Paradox removing any of the executive team at HBS? Will they be installing new studio managers from their side? Will there be other staffing changes?
    All the executives of HBS are remaining at the company in their current roles. There are no plans to install new studio management from Sweden in the HBS offices. The only anticipated staffing changes is that we at HBS are currently hiring for the studio!

Will PDS make games using the HBS IP? Will there be Mechwarriors in Stellaris?
    There are no plans for “crossing the streams” at this point.

Will HBS make games using Paradox IP? Could we get a CK2 RPG? Victoria 3 when?
    HBS will continue to focus on what it does best which are tactical games with rich stories.

Is HBS going to shift its focus to developing tons of DLC?
    We will be supporting BATTLETECH with updates and additional content and we are starting concept development for a new title.
    What the FAQ doesn't address is whether Harebrained Schemes will be able to develop additional Shadowrun and BattleTech games in the future. Those two licenses are not in fact "HBS IP" - they belong to Microsoft. Would Microsoft agree to continue licensing them to a rival publisher? Between that, BattleTech's success and the fact that Paradox is fundamentally oriented around publishing strategy games, a new Shadowrun RPG seems less likely than ever. Still, the commitment to "story-rich" tactics is heartening, so I guess we'll see what happens.

• decline x 7
    • Funny x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 4
    • Despair x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    Well BattleTech does looks like a "perfect" fit for Paradox-style endless DLC releases

• Agree x 12
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Make some more Shadowrun games, and make them Returns/Dragonfall good pls. Not Hong Kong meh-esq

• Agree x 11
    • Cheers!! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I dunno what Paradox is buying, the IPs belong to Microsoft.

• :M :M x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    paradox pretending PoEII never happened buying their new baby

can sell twice as much for a fraction of the production cost

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    So I guess Paradox found a "RPG" developer to do the VtM game.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 5
    • Rage x 4
    • decline x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I hope not, HBS suck at gameplay and their writing don't even hold a candle to what Troika managed to achieve.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fabulously optimistic to assume that a dev that finally made it big with an XCOM-like was acquired to develop a straight-up RPG. Some kind of "tactical RPG", maybe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Ruh roh!!

They have to sell the company to pay the bills now. Golly gee, I wonder went wrong...

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    The SJWism and far-left politics that HBS embraces are cancer

• Brofist x 13
    • Racist x 9
    • retadred x 9
    • Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I guess Paradox didn't find the fampyrs cool enough, poor Feargus.:lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    If more and more content is aimed at making the tactics part better and the HBS writers write less and less, this is actually a big incline.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    and nothing of value was lost

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Grampy_Bone Savant

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 23
    • Funny x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    As already mentioned, this only makes sense if Paradox feels it can use Harebrained Schemes reputation for recreating tabletop games as a means to acquire a popular license. It would be interesting if they could leverage this in order to get long-term permission to use another tabletop IP license such as D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness or even something like a recreation of the Star Wars tabletop game.

Does anyone have a listing of game companies that currently hold rights to IP tabletop games, along with a list of IPs for those tabletop games not currently being held by computer game companies?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Nothing of value was lost

• Agree Agree x 6
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    Of course! I keep it right here.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• not sure if serious x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Belegarsson Learned

Belegarsson
    Parrots:
    I like Shadowrun Hong Kong :(

• Agree x 13
    • Brofist x 4
    • meh x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Parrots:
    Give me one more Dragonfall and you can do whatever you want
    :negative:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Indranys Savant

Indranys
    Parrots:
    Fuck you and your story-rich tactical games man.

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • No x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I guess you slept through Paradox buying White Wolf few years back.
    Nobody holds exclusive D&D licence.
    Pathfinder are also letting different companies do games.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Feyd Rautha Augur Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    who gets the $7.5M?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA
    7,5 million sounds kinda cheap, I'd think that the studio would've been more valuable.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    Lets see what will transpire,maybe they will get dem monies from dlcdox to make a proper pc looking shadowrun game.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The figure sounded low to me too.
    It only covers retirement for one, not for 2.
    That said, given the size of their dev team, I wouldn't be surprised by HBS having some prior debt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    I'm far from an expert but I'm thinking it's not necessarily that cheap for a studio that owns no valuable intellectual property.

I agree with this:

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)