Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West - tactical turn based + wild west setting

Beastro

Arcane
Haha. Weird West is a fine setting, just like you can have 30s gangster stories or 30s Lovecraftian stories. And guess what, stories about ghosts and demons have been around longer than America has even existed. You want to talk about getting back to our roots, horror is much more important than cowboys. I like straight Westerns too, but blaming a fictional fad for cultural decline is amusingly similar to claiming that the stable is haunted. Look out Beastro! Ghosts!! :lol:

I agree for the most part, and it would be fully if we had more conventional Westerns than just the few Call of Juarez's done before they dropped it for a modern setting and Red Dead Redemption despite it's typical Rockstar crap, but it never made it to PC.

As for the other settings you listed, I'd love to see a continuation of Nocturne into a series, a game built around incorporating all of that and more into one world if there ever was one. And no, I don't consider whatever the fuck they did intertwining it with those Blair Witch games to be a proper continuation.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nocturne was a huge favorite of mine. I was desolate when I learned the voice actor who played the Stranger died. No proper sequel. Fun fact, the Bloodrayne games were based on Svetlana Lupescu from Nocturne - Bloodrayne 1 was originally going to be Nocturne 2. Anyway, really sad they weren't able to do more after introducing so many characters and concepts in Nocturne.

Apropos of nothing, check out Westerado. Good pure Western game, kind of goofy but true to the genre.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Hard West thread.

I got it in some bundle and tried it for a bit.
Seemed ok, but the tryhard and grimdark setting and story were bit too much for my taste at the moment. So I postponed playing it until some later date.

Saduj

Arcane
Has anyone else had a problem where a save game loads and you can't enter any locations? I'm playing the Undertaker chapter (64% complete). Loaded my save game and only the ghost town is visible, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be the case. When I hover over it on the world map, the game doesn't recognize it as a location at all. If I go there, I can't enter. I was using the new save feature but I'm pretty sure I left the game at a check point last time. Seems my only option is start this chapter over.

Shit like this is why I hate when games don't have save multiple save slots. Seems to be a design decision too since the game likes to give you alot of 50/50 choices where one ends up with "your party has been afflicted l0l!" Doesn't help that this chapter introduced the atrocious eating mechanic. Why no "everyone eats" option? Seems designed to waste time the way it is now.

Falksi

Arcane
Around 3/4's of the way through this, and I've got to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

There's definitely some hits & miss aspects, with the overworld especially missing in certain scenarios. And I find myself skipping some of the text on the overworld too, as you know what's coming in terms of options/choices.

But the atmosphere is just mint (thrive on the music), the combat solid fun, and the character customisation not only good but it also feels fresh too. The way stories are interwoven is cool too, probably could have been a tad deeper in parts, but still good.

Well chuffed so far. More please.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Around 3/4's of the way through this, and I've got to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

There's definitely some hits & miss aspects, with the overworld especially missing in certain scenarios. And I find myself skipping some of the text on the overworld too, as you know what's coming in terms of options/choices.

But the atmosphere is just mint (thrive on the music), the combat solid fun, and the character customisation not only good but it also feels fresh too. The way stories are interwoven is cool too, probably could have been a tad deeper in parts, but still good.

Well chuffed so far. More please.
you aren't Gord

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anybody backing the board game on Kickstarter?

ee4a4d4ade0609405a66c822a9283ba9_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silverlynxgames/hard-west-the-board-game-1

Falksi

Arcane
Just replaying this through again now and I really can't get enough of it. I think it's easily one of the most underrated games to have come out in recent years, and absolutely lush to play through.

Reading the review & some of the comments I think there's some valid criticisms, but at it's core it's just really fun and exceedingly atmospherically dark.

I really hope we get a sequel.

Just replaying this through again now and I really can't get enough of it. I think it's easily one of the most underrated games to have come out in recent years, and absolutely lush to play through.

Reading the review & some of the comments I think there's some valid criticisms, but at it's core it's just really fun and exceedingly atmospherically dark.

I really hope we get a sequel.
the one thing I don't like about it, and I stop playing it because of it are the areas with multiple levels, its annoying and hard to see where people are for some reason and just makes it a chore. Other than that I really like the game.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the game and bought the expansion, which has those pretty neat augments. I'd like a sequel that did a little more with the overworld map. Even some more expansions would be nice, but it seems like the company is basically done.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...by-hard-west-devs.117897/page-21#post-6033264

The only stuff I can find about the sequel is pretty old (March 2019) and doesn't sound too definite. It sounds like they were at least going to try to have a sequel, but it'd be made by another company.

CreativeForge Games To Publish Hard West 2 With External Development Team
As per Google Translate, the letter of intent in Polish says the following:

Short name of the issuer CREATIVEFORGE GAMES S.A. Topic Signing a letter of intent regarding the performance of Hard West 2 on PC Legal basis Article 17 paragraph 1 MAR - confidential information. Contents of the report: The Management Board of CreativeForge Games S.A. with headquarters in Warsaw _"Company"_ informs about signing on 21.02.2019 a letter of intent to create a game with the working title Hard West 2 _"Game"_ with an external development team.
From preliminary findings, the Company guaranteed its revenues at the level of 50% of revenue from the Game, in exchange for transferring the license to play Hard West, while not participating in the costs of producing the Game.

The company also plans to be the publisher of the above-mentioned Game.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...sh-hard-west-2-with-external-development-team

Falksi

Arcane
I liked the game and bought the expansion, which has those pretty neat augments. I'd like a sequel that did a little more with the overworld map. Even some more expansions would be nice, but it seems like the company is basically done.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...by-hard-west-devs.117897/page-21#post-6033264

The only stuff I can find about the sequel is pretty old (March 2019) and doesn't sound too definite. It sounds like they were at least going to try to have a sequel, but it'd be made by another company.

CreativeForge Games To Publish Hard West 2 With External Development Team
As per Google Translate, the letter of intent in Polish says the following:

Short name of the issuer CREATIVEFORGE GAMES S.A. Topic Signing a letter of intent regarding the performance of Hard West 2 on PC Legal basis Article 17 paragraph 1 MAR - confidential information. Contents of the report: The Management Board of CreativeForge Games S.A. with headquarters in Warsaw _"Company"_ informs about signing on 21.02.2019 a letter of intent to create a game with the working title Hard West 2 _"Game"_ with an external development team.
From preliminary findings, the Company guaranteed its revenues at the level of 50% of revenue from the Game, in exchange for transferring the license to play Hard West, while not participating in the costs of producing the Game.

The company also plans to be the publisher of the above-mentioned Game.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...sh-hard-west-2-with-external-development-team

I asked them about this the other day, and the response I got was "lets say in the Q1, Q2 you be able to see our another game that Im sure you will like, for now is still under cover development. "

So it sounds like HW2 is ticking away in the background, but not a priority as of yet.

Falksi

Arcane
Just finished the second playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it. By the end of it I'd had my fill though, and it all finished at just the right time. So an excellently lengthed main game too.

The intertwining storylines, characters, and in particular voiceover from death gives the game a real unique & amazing vibe. The card system is simple, but fun, and the combat a real nice spin on the usual turn based fare, with luck being a very welcome diversion.

Scars of Freedom is OK, but not grabbing me as much as the main game (I have played fully through SOF before, and thought similar then).

I doubt it'll get a 3rd playthough for a while though, because there's not much else or do to see now. I need to forget about it for a bit before returning again.

A sequel would be fucking lovely though. Including the Death voiceover is an absolute must. Sorely missed in Scars of Freedom.

desocupado

Magister
I started playing it recently. Played for a couple of hours. But I find it annoying that the game won't give me a proper squad. I think the max I had with me was 3 characters.

This is some pretty terrible shit, in a tactical game, the fun is to play with your squad, flank, cover, etc.

Otherwise the game was alright. Don't quite like the deterministic nature of the hit rolls tho.

Falksi

Arcane
I started playing it recently. Played for a couple of hours. But I find it annoying that the game won't give me a proper squad. I think the max I had with me was 3 characters.

This is some pretty terrible shit, in a tactical game, the fun is to play with your squad, flank, cover, etc.

Otherwise the game was alright. Don't quite like the deterministic nature of the hit rolls tho.

It does though. You have to play the tactical part of the game well to get those squad members, but you often have a squad of 4.

3's more than enough for most missions. Plenty of tactical combat setups which you can exploit with only 2 as well.

Darkzone

Arcane
If they would have stayed only with the RPG part then it would have be more cohesive. Sadly the sales were not the best, despite all the good things in this game and this killed a possible sequel.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hard West 2 is supposedly in development, to be released this year. An unknown studio signed a deal to make it in 2019. But this is CreativeForge that is controlled by PlayWay, that makes Phantom Doctrine 2 a third-person shooter, so expect the worst I guess.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As long as they add in melee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom