Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hard West Released

HotSnack

Cipher
What? Just play it.

Tommers

Augur
I've played a bit more now and still loving it. The main thing I've noticed though is the lack of an overwatch, unless I'm missing something. The vision cones are too small, somebody has to be right up close before anything triggers. Same with the set up phase. That could do with being a bit bigger.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I don't know if classic overwatch would improve the game or not, it seems to me the gameplay is balanced more around positioning, cover and luck management. Overwatch might add to that or might take away, hard to tell.

As it is right now, if the enemy is aware of you (sees you, hears you, sees your shadow etc.) and you try and close in past the red circle thing(5 feet) it will auto shoot you in the face.

If the enemy is not aware of you and there is a way to circle around to his back, you can literally walk up and press the gun to his neck and pull the trigger. Positioning is key.

In some missions it kind of felt like this:

Also I loled reading steam comments of 'tards complaining this doesn't play exactly like nuXCOM which everyone knows was the height of tactical TBS. :lol:

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't know if classic overwatch would improve the game or not, it seems to me the gameplay is balanced more around positioning, cover and luck management. Overwatch might add to that or might take away, hard to tell.
As it is right now, if the enemy is aware of you (sees you, hears you, sees your shadow etc.) and you try and close in past the red circle thing(5 feet) it will auto shoot you in the face.
If the enemy is not aware of you and there is a way to circle around to his back, you can literally walk up and press the gun to his neck and pull the trigger. Positioning is key.
In some missions it kind of felt like this: "Revolver"

A very good post that deserves a brofist. Overwatch may even take away this "Revolver" experience and slow down the game play, but a fast game play was desired by the developers.

HotSnack

Cipher
This game sounds mega interesting. And the Codex reception is over the top positive, last time you guys gushed this hard about a game it was Undertale and AoD, so that's pretty good company.

It's a good game. Not 10/10 GOTY THE DARKSOULS OF CITIZEN KANE good, but defintely worth the price of admission. Like, what else is out that's you'd be playing? Fallout 4? lel.

In some missions it kind of felt like this:

Also I loled reading steam comments of 'tards complaining this doesn't play exactly like nuXCOM which everyone knows was the height of tactical TBS. :lol:

I do agree that there is a definite hide and seek element to this game which seperates it from other TBS games. I've never seen Revolver so my mind turned to Predator instead. :) A good strategy I find is to avoid shootouts and go into hiding (negating their overwatch), and then pick them off.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
10 achievements and 20 hours later I’m still having a blast. The game is refreshing and each scenario has a different mechanic. In the maskman’s story you have peons to control and such, but in the undertaker saga you have to eat to avoid hunger, etc. Some scenarios are better than others. Now I’m playing as a scientist, but found a game breaking bug (the first bug!) and can’t enter the laboratory : ( The combat is good and the abilities are great. For anyone who is playing now, try this: 2 guys, the equalizer + chain kill = mass murder.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've always wanted a Western small team tactics RPG. The idea of playing as a band of outlaws in a Jagged Alliance 2 type of game has always appealed to me. Hell, Jagged Alliance 2 type anything is something I could do with more of. I can't say this is a one to one JA inspired game, but it ticks a lot of boxes. I'll definitely think about picking this up in the next week since initial impressions here are positive.

Cadmus

Arcane
I tried the game after shitting on it for so long and I'm pleasantly surprised.
The art style is great, the voice acting is OK, atmosphere is through the roof. They seem to have cleaned up the game from the early stuff in the codex thread, it looked much shittier.
I'm only in the 2nd mission or something, it seems reasonably difficult, or more likely, I need to change my mindset because it seems the game expects me to be really active instead of sitting somewhere. It's a lot of fun, I especially like the low HP pools and deadly weapons. I still have no clue what I'm doing so I keep dying in the first rescue mission, I restarted it like 3 times already because I always fucked up. Really gotta play different than I'm used to. Anyway, congratulations to the devs, the game totally exceeds my expectations so far and I like many things about it.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Ho! I'm pleasantly surprised it turned out like this. Had my fingers crossed (Been wanting a Deadlands cRPG since forever, and this is neither, but close enough). I'll be getting it next week I think..

I've read all the comments. Thank you for sharing your experience :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom