Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hard West Released

hivemind

Hmm I thought that the way it worked was that you rolled you % and if you missed you at least damaged their luck equal to your THC and if they don't have luck you just always hit them.

close enough I guess

but it's still kinda the same RNG thing as in other games from the players perception in some situations

I mean it might be rigid and deterministic inside the game systems and in an extended engagement where you drain the enemy luck and then finish them off but in like a marginal situation where you charge flank someone and have 70 THC it's basically up to RNG if the enemy has 70 or more luck. It's like you are not taking the risk against rolling 70 or lower on a dice that happens when you shoot but are taking the risk against a dice that was rolled at the start.

By start of scenario you mean start of the campaign itself or individuals combats? Basically, if I restart this fight will the last guy still have the same luck as he did in my last try?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm I thought that the way it worked was that you rolled you % and if you missed you at least damaged their luck equal to your THC and if they don't have luck you just always hit them.

close enough I guess

but it's still kinda the same RNG thing as in other games from the players perception in some situations

I mean it might be rigid and deterministic inside the game systems and in an extended engagement where you drain the enemy luck and then finish them off but in like a marginal situation where you charge flank someone and have 70 THC it's basically up to RNG if the enemy has 70 or more luck. It's like you are not taking the risk against rolling 70 or lower on a dice that happens when you shoot but are taking the risk against a dice that was rolled at the start.

By start of scenario you mean start of the campaign itself or individuals combats? Basically, if I restart this fight will the last guy still have the same luck as he did in my last try?
Yes, the first shot is RNG, everything after it is not. Also it is RNG only if your THC is high, if it is low you will almost always miss.
Devs said their Luck is generated when combat is being loaded. I don't know after you restart that combat map if new Luck values are loaded. I would like it to be so or your can use knowledge from last battle to get unfair advantage.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Can confirm, luck is rerolled for enemies everytime you restart. Although the changes seem to be largely minor.

62% THC, same scenario, same enemy. Hit them 7 out of 10 times I restarted. (No it wasn't that hard, I just restarted to see how large the change in starting luck was) A 2nd shot from a 34% THC guy always hit in the 3 times the first shot missed. Not surprising since I've noticed only demons and 'boss' characters have 100+ luck. Most grunts have like 80 or so from what I've shot.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can confirm, luck is rerolled for enemies everytime you restart. Although the changes seem to be largely minor.

62% THC, same scenario, same enemy. Hit them 7 out of 10 times I restarted. (No it wasn't that hard, I just restarted to see how large the change in starting luck was) A 2nd shot from a 34% THC guy always hit in the 3 times the first shot missed. Not surprising since I've noticed only demons and 'boss' characters have 100+ luck. Most grunts have like 80 or so from what I've shot.
:bro:
Someone give him a real brofist :)

HotSnack

Cipher
So I played this for a couple of hours and here are my thoughts:

• Like others have commented similarly, this game feels closer to a CYOA game, but with the bumped up production values of adding in a world map and fully fleshed out turn based combat mode to resolve combat and stealth scenarios.
  • The game is split up into several chapters, and it doesn't appear that any of your cash, items, or cards carry over to the next chapter, so I'm currently not seeing any reason to horde these items unless this changes later on in the game.
  • As per CYOA, the game is designed to be highly replayable, where you'll probably want to try one of the alternate paths just to see what happens.
  • Game is very slick on its setting. It's wild west/cursed spirit of vengeance i.e. you're basically ghost rider, though I'm sure ghost rider is based on some old cowboy story. :D
  • The devs did a really good job of tying in the game mecahnics with the source material. Western cliches like turning over tables to use as cover, richocheting bullets off metal objects to hit hiding enemies, are in.
All in all it seems like a pretty fun game. It's definitely not what I expected from the trailers, but its a pleasent surprise nonetheless.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This game sounds mega interesting. And the Codex reception is over the top positive, last time you guys gushed this hard about a game it was Undertale and AoD, so that's pretty good company.

Any idea of the system requirements? Is this a Unity game?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game sounds mega interesting. And the Codex reception is over the top positive, last time you guys gushed this hard about a game it was Undertale and AoD, so that's pretty good company.

It is a Unity game. And it is not good to compare it with AoD or Underail as those are real RPGs, this is just a turn based strategy game with a RPG layer. It is more RPG than Xcom but still not a real RPG.
But it still has more C&C than Fo4 :D
And combat is more fun that PoE, WL2 or SRR.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not comparing it to RPGs, I am saying people are very positive about this game.

i'm running on a p average 5 year old pc and no problems with settings on high, only performance issue i've encountered is that the game will sometimes hang for 5+ seconds when you open a menu or click on something in your char screen

Buahahahaha!:) Should be Faran Brygo, actually
91cpw0.jpg

Turned out he was the thief :M

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
Jedi Master Radek
I have read your post on metacritics and you really seen to enjoy HARD WEST. This is good since i have supported them from day 1 of KS ( KS is not the reason why i have been mentioned). Let us hope that the current trend continues on GOG and Steam for a while and that they make enough money for an true RPG sequel and that CFG does not continue the genre hopping. I think that they have enough potential to create an "Western / Horror / Steampunk" true miliestone RPG. And if they decide to do it, then we all naturally should help them since they are our only hope for such an genre RPG.
I think that i will play it throught the next week, because currently i have to finish WL2DC.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Nice to hear this turned out good. The devs were saying some weird things on a Codex thread, they seemed rather clueless about tactical games... now there's cries of good encounter design and actually challenging gameplay. Kudos to them, might include it on the book afterall.

Jedi Master Radek
I have read your post on metacritics and you really seen to enjoy HARD WEST. This is good since i have supported them from day 1 of KS ( KS is not the reason why i have been mentioned). Let us hope that the current trend continues on GOG and Steam for a while and that they make enough money for an true RPG sequel and that CFG does not continue the genre hopping. I think that they have enough potential to create an "Western / Horror / Steampunk" true miliestone RPG. And if they decide to do it, then we all naturally should help them since they are our only hope for such an genre RPG.
I think that i will play it throught the next week, because currently i have to finish WL2DC.

Well. after taking time to write my observations it would be a waste to not repost them . After some more playing I see many weak points in AI. It's usually good in making optimal movies for the current turn, but any strategical planning is beyond it. It doesn't use all units to overwhelm the player, some are left on defense, when other charge. Sometimes enemies are left in the open and/or don't shoot. They are really incompetent in fighting the player using the upper floor of the building, they very rarely try to charge the floor the player is in. Combat is fast and deadly and improving the AI would take it on exceptional level, but it would require making a great AI, which is quite good now, weaker than AI in Telepath Tactics, but much closer to it, than for example W2 or SR:D.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jedi Master Radek

Well. after taking time to write my observations it would be a waste to not repost them . After some more playing I see many weak points in AI. It's usually good in making optimal movies for the current turn, but any strategical planning is beyond it. It doesn't use all units to overwhelm the player, some are left on defense, when other charge. Sometimes enemies are left in the open and/or don't shoot. They are really incompetent in fighting the player using the upper floor of the building, they very rarely try to charge the floor the player is in. Combat is fast and deadly and improving the AI would take it on exceptional level, but it would require making a great AI, which is quite good now, weaker than AI in Telepath Tactics, but much closer to it, than for example W2 or SR:D.
Well next patch (on Monday) they said will have AI improvements around flanking and leaving cover to stand in the open and die horribly.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well next patch (on Monday) they said will have AI improvements around flanking and leaving cover to stand in the open and die horribly.
Then it is even good that i have to solve WL2DC first, before i dive into HW.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, I just bought this and now it looks like I'd better wait a week for the patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom