Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hard West Released

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yay so great to hear it is good, bought this a couple of weeks ago after stumbling on the thread here in the Codex. Gonna be too busy to play till next week but really looking forward to it!

Disgruntled

Savant
Late November has really snuck up on me, I assumed it was at least a week till release. Now I have something meaty to get into again. :thumbsup:

Sounds like it's up my alley. I think i'll buy it now, but will wait playing it after the patch.

Question. Can the controls be reassigned?

Tommers

Augur
I backed it on KS and played a few hours last night. Didn't get any bugs, but maybe I was just lucky?

I really, really like it. I made a pact with the devil and now I can shriek like a banshee. My dad left cos he fucked everything up. I've been mining for gold and I've wiped out a whole town full of Mexicans.

Some of the touches in combat are really clever - you can shoot people who's shadow you can see, and you can create better cover out of objects.

I like the setup missions. I had to bust the girlfriend out of jail and so I set up snipers on rooftops and sent in my patsy. He held somebody up so they couldn't raise the alarm. He was just about to get the key when the time ran out and everybody started shooting. The guard killed him in one shotgun blast.

I went back to get revenge and got ambushed and killed, repeatedly.

Some of the guns have like 12 barrels.

It's awesome.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Initial impressions are always overly-positive. Wait a few weeks.

Regardless, the luck thing sounds way too groggy for me.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
IGN: 7.3
Destructoid: 5/10
The Escapist: 3.5/5

For AA game - it's good.
Checked some reviews (other than mentioned above because why read their garbage) and it seems like usual - good ideas, some technical issues and good gameplay.
Wishlisted.

Eurogamer
Despite its limitations, then, Hard West is a game that punches well above expectations. Its developers took some bold design decisions that, for the most part, really pay off. It's occasionally clunky and frequently exploitable, but it's also genuinely memorable. CreativeForge Games may not be the best writers in the business, but they sure as hell ain't no snake oil salesmen.

Melcar

Arcane
Question for those that got it from GoG. Just read a review that GoG is not providing Linux binaries, despite the store page saying it has Linux compatibility. Is that true?

Color me intrigued. I'm sure I won't get to it for years, what with my already massive backlog, but I might give this one a buy to support the devs, provided the KKK remains as positive.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Bought it on GOG and played for a couple of hours. The game is worth the 15 jewgold.

I don't know who said the game difficulty is super hardcore but it was probably brain dead game journalists. You can safely play on hardest setting with injuries on for a decent challenge. For those wandering, those injuries can be healed at the church.

The card system is pretty cool and good use of it can turn some situations around in neat ways. Most enemies can be 1 shotted and you too can get 2 shotted if not careful. Some NPCs may need 2-3 shots and this usually reflects their badass status.

The tactical side is pretty good but don't expect Jagged Alliance or oldXCOM. More like Dragonfall++. AI is decent as in I haven't seen it do anything outright retarded and if you do something dumb it will shoot you in the face unceremoniously.

What else ? Atmosphere is nice, western gold rush meets crossroads demon type of thing.

Oh yeah, there's no saving. When you exit the strategic map (quit the game), you can continue from that point later. On the tactical map (during missions) there's no saving but you can restart as many times as you want if you die or simply want to get better results.

I don't think the game is very long but it is the kind of game where you should restart half way through once you've learned the ropes and there's some C&C in there too.

As a reference point the combat is nowhere near as hard as AOD's but it also seems less RNG based so positioning seems more important than opening with a lucky roll.

Weapon types are balanced (sort of): rifles do average damage and have a big ammo capacity so it's a good idea to carry one of those plus a more specialized weapon for when you find yourself in a position to use the awesome button. :) You can carry 2 at the same time and there's no specialization so mix and match as you will...

Cards and artifacts are a bit op but they're kind of needed to balance the tables vs lots of enemies. Healing stuff is too op though and I wish it was rearer to keep the tension up.

That's all I have for now. Take all I've said with a grain of salt as I've only played a few hours. Cheers.

Edit: Luck is used more like mana or stamina. Getting missed reduces your luck meter, getting shot in the face raises it back up and a lot of the special abilities cost luck to activate. Also there are some artifacts and consumables that affect it. So, activating a cool ability might make you awesome for a turn but you are more likely to get hit on the next one...

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
bleh this looks so boring for some reason
I'll wait for the codex review by some edgelord to tell me it's shit.

Ok, I have been 5 hours in. Got even more impressed:
-Enemy AI is little weaker than I thought at first. They can flank and point blank one hit kill party member forcing a mission restart, but sometimes they end their turn in an open or don't shoot. Enemies also seem quite weak at strategical thinking and not all of them on map attack at the same time.
-As most enemies and player can't stand more than 2 hits, positioning is vital. Fighting is deadly and fast. Enemy can quickly turn tables with a good shot.
-Encounter design is fantastic. Had a rescue mission which looked as it was supposed to be done with minimal killing. Game respected my choice to kill everybody and after eliminating everyone on the map mission was successful without a need to complete an objective of opening the prison doors. Had an optional mission which starts the player surrounded and outgunned. It was thrilling and challenging. Maps are small, often reused, but different enemy placement makes encounters feel distinct.Big number of covers and hight places offers many approaches on how to tackle objectives.
-Game is hard on hard
-Those card abilities are interesting. You can take 5 of them on missions. Depending on which one you have chosen, you can get a passive buff on top of their standard uses. I suppose those bonuses are poker inspired.
-Rotating camera is horrible. Don't understand why they can't bind it to the mouse. It's worse than Wasteland 2 camera. Also when the enemy from different hight attack, camera should change the height, now it is always on the same level when it was left during player turn.
-Height seems to influence aim and range.
-Enemies can do overwatch. It looks player cannot use it. I had many times when I was begging for overwatch.
-The biggest surprise: CYOA. This part is good enough it would be acceptable if it was a game in itself. There are many C&C moments which actually include consequences! Game autosaves, so I didn't retry anything but results were enough specific it seems highly unlikely both options led to the same outcome. In scenario I played the main goal was collecting gold, which was quite complex with many tools, ways to do it and hidden mines. Got even an optional mission.
-Writing and story are really good. Love the character of the devil who is a mysterious, well dressed gentleman who appears and disappears on the whim tempting people.
-Game has a nice aesthetic and art direction.
-Looking at credits, game was done by about 10-20 people team. BTW: what are Darkzone doing in special thanks?

Game is really, really good. I am genuinely surprised something so great was under everybody radar to the release day. Worth checking out.

Nice C&C:
15hlhxl.jpg

Good writing:
2n1f5nb.jpg

2njc7qo.jpg

ev88di.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
-Looking at credits, game was done by about 10-20 people team. BTW: what are Darkzone doing in special thanks?

Oh... this is quite unexpected....
But you would be quite surprised how long the shadows are that i cast, and where my dirty long skeleton fingers reach. If CFG makes a true "HARD WEST - The Wanderer / Ghostwalker." cRPG, then i will show them how to make a very strong "AI", that will blow all your minds.
And since they have everything in place for such a cRPG, they should do it, but alone i cannot convince them for such an course of actions. And this is also a question of revenues from HARD WEST sales. So hopefully the DARK TOWER and DEADLANDS fans will buy enough HARD WEST copies.

Thank you CFG, for mentioning in the credits.

Well looking at bestseller list, it seems it sells well. Question: why review I wrote is not posted on steam? I do everything I did for my earlier steam reviews but after publishing it it does not appear on recent reviews and when I enter write review page again it's empty, as it would be if I hadn't wrote anything.

HotSnack

Cipher
Hmm, I seem to be getting a runtime error when I boot this up (GoG version). :|

Found the fix on the gog forum. The game is fixed after installing the GoG galaxy client which has the distributables I need. Pretty lulzy, since I don't download gog games through galaxy.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This game looks really interesting to me. Really hoping a turns out to be great.

For those who have beaten it, how long was your first playthrough?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think nobody beat it yet. Game story is seperated into 8 scenarios. People have only beat specific scenarios so far.

hivemind

So far so fun.

But I actually got triggered beyond measure by missing a game winning shot on an uncovered enemy with 69% THC.

It was the perfect game winning final turn and it collapses because bullshit RNG.

The abilities are cool too. Equality and Chain kill make for some amazing plays.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So far so fun.

But I actually got triggered beyond measure by missing a game winning shot on an uncovered enemy with 69% THC.

It was the perfect game winning final turn and it collapses because bullshit RNG.

The abilities are cool too. Equality and Chain kill make for some amazing plays.
I did tell developers they should not put % THC in game UI but they said people are used to seeing it and they put it on purpose.
Why did I tell them that? Because game has no RNG when determining hit chance. What it does is compare your THC with enemy current Luck and if you have more THC you hit, if you have less you miss. When you miss enemy Luck is reduced equal to your THC value. Two exceptions are: 1. If your THC is 100% you always hit 2. If your THC is <20% you always miss (but still reduce enemy Luck).

Your THC is calculated by taking your character's base AIM + weapon modifier + range modifier + cover modifier + high ground modifier and that total value is compared to enemy Luck.

Only RNG in the game is that at start of scenario the game rolls randomly for enemy starting Luck value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom