Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Happy 18th Birthday Quake!

Euronymous

Augur
I know I'm a little late, but still! Happy 18th Birthday Quake!

Astral Rag

Arcane
:salute:

cvxvcx55jg9.jpg

septembre1996mdjub.jpg

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
In other news, Quake is still not allowed to drink alcohol in the US.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember reading an article from finnish gaming magazine about then-upcoming Quake where Sandy Petersen was promising realistic physics, melee weapons, enemies feeling and bleeding on ground which you could them follow, ability to kick enemies off the ledge to their deaths etc.

When Quake was released, it didn't have any of those things, just as I thought. I never liked Quake, always thought it's fucking boring with the brown levels, brown enemies and brown guns, pretty much just tech-demo.

lurker3000

Arcane
When Quake was released, it didn't have any of those things, just as I thought. I never liked Quake, always thought it's fucking boring with the brown levels, brown enemies and brown guns, pretty much just tech-demo.

Quake was all about deathmatch and CTF. The regular game was pretty boring if I remember correctly. I know I never came close to finishing it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember reading an article from finnish gaming magazine about then-upcoming Quake where Sandy Petersen was promising realistic physics, melee weapons, enemies feeling and bleeding on ground which you could them follow, ability to kick enemies off the ledge to their deaths etc.

That information was based on an earlier build/design document that had the Nordic gods involved. Like with Doom, iD scaled down the scope of the project in order to get it through the door.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
The guy at 3:05 predicts eSports in that video. I wonder what it feels like to play a FPS with a joystick like that guy is doing at 0:55

Euronymous

Augur
Played Quake to celebrate, I swear it's like each time you play it the levels change.

Ah, so people were using WASD back in 1996. I wonder when that became a standard binding. I didn't use WASD until 2008, with Fallout 3.

Don't know, I use to use the arrows all the time until about 2006.

3:34 God, even today this is such a great deal over paying DLC on CoD to player on servers with a max of 18 players. I remember playing in Quake 3 servers with over 30 different people. FPS have gone so backwards...

Geez, lot of Quake haters here.

Last edited:

Ah, so people were using WASD back in 1996. I wonder when that became a standard binding. I didn't use WASD until 2008, with Fallout 3.

Also, can people stop writing the company name as iD? Do you see a capital D in their logo? I don't.

From memory, the first Wizardry game had WASD and NSEW as alternative control schemes, in the early 80s. Going on pure memory, and it's a long time ago, so there's the possibility I'm having an episode of invented memory by confusing it with a later game.

Destroid

Arcane

Also, can people stop writing the company name as iD? Do you see a capital D in their logo? I don't.

Quake was the game I started using WADS and mouselook for, it was impossible to compete in multiplayer without it.

EDIT: I like the guy playing with a joystick.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I never liked Quake, always thought it's fucking boring with the brown levels, brown enemies and brown guns, pretty much just tech-demo.
It still deserves a place in the history of video games
as the forerunner of the brown, gritty, modern shooter experience.
:troll:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

Worse are those who call it "I-Dee".

Funny thing is that I got the urge a couple of days ago to reinstall Quake (and I grabbed the two expansions, which I never played before). Now I know why I felt that way. And I'm still using WinQuake.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Now I can finally fuck Quake without fear of being arrested on sex offense charges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom