Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halfway - turn-based tactical sci-fi pixel art alien shooter

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A short range offgun can be a necessity on the missions where you're on close quarters, they usually have a higher lower bound of damage inflicted, which can be very important.

As for the character system, I only wish there was the possibility to get new intrinsic skills as a kind of ultimate upgrade, like the 0 AP refill one, which is very useful.
The most 'interesting' (OP) active ability is on a character you prob haven't met yet. It allows shots towards all visible enemies at the cost of ending the turn and emptying the gun.

I got linda the exoskeleton armor (it has zero 'shield' but increases all stats by 2) and used her as a sniper and occasionally, bait (due to self healing/medkit+ she can absorb dangerous attacks better than most, if they don't miss due to high agility).

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
A short range offgun can be a necessity on the missions where you're on close quarters, they usually have a higher lower bound of damage inflicted, which can be very important.

As for the character system, I only wish there was the possibility to get new intrinsic skills as a kind of ultimate upgrade, like the 0 AP refill one, which is very useful.
The most 'interesting' (OP) active ability is on a character you prob haven't met yet. It allows shots towards all visible enemies at the cost of ending the turn and emptying the gun.

I got linda the exoskeleton armor (it has zero 'shield' but increases all stats by 2) and used her as a sniper and occasionally, bait (due to self healing/medkit+ she can absorb dangerous attacks better than most, if they don't miss due to high agility).

I've actually already got that character, I'm at the portion where I have to take the doc to secure the new class A living quarters. She's pretty good, but haven't really made good use of her ability yet, it's nice I guess when you are surrounded and in the open, but not so good in corridor fights. I still pick her though because of her stats, and her passive ability.

A question: if she has only 4 bullets left, I assume she can shoot a maximum of four characters with her ability?

mastroego

Arcane
WOW what an amazing game this is. Totally underrated gem. Let's go through it:

LIST

Overall, such a great little game, like Banner Saga and LOX, another gem overlooked by the Codex in favor of overproduced leftard turds like Pillars of Eternity. Yes I quit that crappy game in order to come back to this. :)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Sounds fantastic! :salute:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
-70% on GOG now, temptinghttp://af.gog.com/game/halfway?as=1649904300

The art is charming, but all in all the game is mediocre and ultimately forgettable.
My advice : even with that discount, there's gotta be a better way for you to spend your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Was even Hallway fixed? There were bugs in it long time after, would take it anyway because reminded me Incubation.
Seems like Steam Marines are more polished in early access than this.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The art is charming, but all in all the game is mediocre and ultimately forgettable.
My advice : even with that discount, there's gotta be a better way for you to spend your time.
I don't agree. In my opinion, it's a small very good game. By the way it's totally worth 3 bucks.
I don't remember encountering any bug.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I played a couple of missions and was bored.

I don't even get it - create all this art and the whole fucking game with TB combat - implement 1 skill per character...:M

Archibald

Arcane
Anyone made any mods for it? Base game got dull pretty fast (especially last boss) and overall was wasted opportunity, in my opinion of course.

Severian Silk

I'm thinking of making a mod since I'm tired of waiting for the TBS script for RPG Maker to be finished. The sprite dimensions may be too small though.

I wonder what the advantages of modding this are versus Shadowrun Returns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Resurrecting this thread, since I'm currently playing it now. There's a mod/mode that makes combat harder, and so far the challenge has been nice.

Like others have said:

1. UI sucks
2. Environment and atmosphere are really well done
3. Art is what you see in first post of this thread. Good 2D IMO
4. Tactics-wise it's a mixed bag. Some of the RNG and distance elements seem goofy and nonintuitive. But there are some guides out there that help explain some of the nuances (like close range with a sniper actually reduces accuracy; imagine using a scope fron 7 feet away; or so the devs logic goes).

The 2 AP is annoying, but what else is new. There's a cover system but it's streamlined and you really don't have much control on kneeling or directional facing. Also, overwatch mechanic is worthless

That being said the challenge with environment and number of enemies is high enough where you really neees to think about positioning, resources, crossfire, etc.

Oh and there's hidden enemy movement like in X-COM. The good/old one.

Mustawd

It's a bit better than Telepath Tactics, but that's not saying much (and only due to lack of romances; at least so far).

I'd say the game does do a pretty good job of setting the scene/mood. For example:

One of the first missions is reminiscent of Aliens in which they try and break into the main stronghold/compound.

But the dialogue is meh.

I'd say it's a bit slow for the first few missions, but hang in there and it gets more fun. But would only play if already owned or on sale. Not sure if its's worth more than $5. However, if you like tactical squad based games and aesthetics that are similar in nature to X-COM (old), in addition to hobo-like itemization then pick it up to see if it's for you. Just be aware of the mobile-based UI can be a bit painful before you get to know it.

Archibald

Arcane
Biggest problem with story is that nothing really happens and repetitive scenes (like whole "oh no, new wave incoming" white screen).

4. Tactics-wise it's a mixed bag. Some of the RNG and distance elements seem goofy and nonintuitive. But there are some guides out there that help explain some of the nuances (like close range with a sniper actually reduces accuracy; imagine using a scope fron 7 feet away; or so the devs logic goes).

Sniper weapons were retarded anyway so they needed some "weakness" and unfortunately it wasn't sufficient.

roshan

Arcane
Just be aware of the mobile-based UI can be a bit painful before you get to know it.

The UI is a hell of a lot better than the Shadowrun games, in which it was a pain just to perform simple actions like reloading weapons. It does suffer from a lot of similar issues, but only a quarter as bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My opinion on this game is that it's a welcome return to simpler character systems and more tactics than the bullshit that is fed as 'rpgs' nowadays where everyone has a spectrum of magic abilities supporting their 'role' until you're actually a glorified barista pressing buttons to try to extract some fun instead of actually planning tactics.

That said, the last mission and boss was bad.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
What the hell are you planning in this boring turd? I was halfway through (and only because i try to finish games i start) and it was the same popamole crap over and over again. The gameplay is terribad for anyone looking for an interesting TB strategy/combat game.

roshan

Arcane
What the hell are you planning in this boring turd? I was halfway through (and only because i try to finish games i start) and it was the same popamole crap over and over again. The gameplay is terribad for anyone looking for an interesting TB strategy/combat game.

The core gameplay is simple but fun, because it involves thought and consideration, I regret not playing on the harder difficulty mode though. What is really a boring turd is a game like Shitternity, where combat is all about mindless ability spamming, you aren't having fun or thinking, just engaging in pointless busywork.

Mustawd

Did you try the Game+ mod for increased difficulty? I never played vanilla, so I can't comment on what that was like. But this one will give you a run for your money if you make dumb decisions.

The level below, for example, took me like 8+ tries because I wouldn't double up on AP when shooting and I didn't use cover or movement properly. In the screenshot below one of my guys is knocked out and the other one is outnumbered three to one. I managed to kill one before the other two boxed me in and pumped me full of shots.

Cover is definitely as important in game as it was in X-COM, where being behind a fence could save your life. I just wish this game had a better way of showing the actual use of cover. My understanding is that it's a damage modifier, but it's not readily obvious gameplay-wise.

2015-11-18_00001_zpsilteuuo1.jpg

Archibald

Arcane
With some improvements Halfway Director's Cut could actually be solid game.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The core gameplay is simple but fun, because it involves thought and consideration, I regret not playing on the harder difficulty mode though. What is really a boring turd is a game like Shitternity, where combat is all about mindless ability spamming, you aren't having fun or thinking, just engaging in pointless busywork.
I am sorry, but you described Halfway perfectly. Just bait and retreat 100% of time.
The story is just an excuse to click on next mission and there is zero variety and tactical gameplay, which pretty much makes this game pointless. Not so much if you're starved for "RPGs". But i think we're doing alright atm.
Jagged-Jimmy said:
I was halfway through
:smug:
Worked as intended :smug:
...And yeah, i "played" vanilla. Not the "mods will fix it" guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom