Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Half Life and Half Life 2 - List of recommended modifications and mini campaigns

yellowcake

Arcane
I still have my CD version and prefer the game without HD Pack that came with OF. Has some cool things, MP5 being my favourite, and glock wet reloading. Yes it kept the bullet in the chamber when reloading, gone with the patch. Looks perfect on my voodoo3 in glorious 1024x768 too.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Looks cool, I'll give it a tr-
This mod has been created and tested for the Windows version of Half-Life on Steam, and it is not compatible with Half-Life Source or the old WON version of Half-Life.
Oh. Nevermind.
lol, what's wrong with steam version? Headbob?
WON Half-life isn't playable of Win10 and have 640x480 menu.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some of us see Steam for what it truly is and want as little to do with it as possible.

Some of us are purists who prefer to play games as they were originally meant to be played.

Some of us are wise enough to avoid Win10 entirely.

I'm all of the above, though I'll admit that I'm willing to compromise on the purist part - sometimes modern amenities are just so so sweet.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I assume you can't you use your old Half-Life serial codes to download the Steam version?

My Half-Life Generation pack WON key worked on steam back in the day (like late 2004 or some shit).

I just tried activating it on a whim, was quite surprised when it actually worked.

lightbane

Arcane
Played Echoes Nope, couldn't make it work even with Steam, so I watched a full playthrough instead. It has some new cool textures, scenarios and models, but no new weapons nor enemies (other than an Alien Grunt with an energy shield that acts as a boss and looks derpy). Nothing from the mod looks like it would require Steam for "memory allocation" or whatever excuse they gave, except for a few special models that are visibly more hi-res than the original game. To be precise:

A bunch of Half-Life 2 models that show up in the end, going as far as to add an interpretation of the ending of Half Life Episode 3, which will never happen.
It also has a sad ending to boot.

Nevertheless, it's a cool mod, one which has secrets to encourage exploration and even optional areas so to speak, although prepare yourself to find conveniently placed flares everywhere.

Last edited:

Plisken

Learned
if youve still got your old WON key and it works today you are probably one of a very lucky few

in the early days of steam pirates mined the fuck out of the WON keys with key generators.

Plisken

Learned
Played Echoes.

decent mod with some nice level design but way fucking overrated. Whats with the weird ball washing nerds work themselves up into? Some people on another forum were actually calling this a companion piece equal to the original game:hahano: Also the mod poorly and confusingly tries to tie in threads and characters from HL2. Perhaps this just rubbed me the wrong way specifically because i couldn't give a fuck about HL2 characters and having them be retconned into actually existing in HL1 seems especially out of place, like Eli Vance having a wife and shit instead of just being "nigger scientist model"

Also rather than design fun action sections like there were so many of in HL1, the mod relies on ambushes to an obnoxious extent. I made the mistake of playing on hard which necessitated a lot of :roll: and save reloading with some of the larger surprise! scripted moments.

A horse of course

Alright, been a few years since I did a HL1 mod binge. Recommendations from, say, mid/late-2015 onwards? I'd prefer mods with some custom assets rather than vanilla retreads (e.g. Echoes [of boredom]). Or tits.

Only cool people with good taste respond, thanks.

A horse of course

Finished the Cthulhu mod. Agree with the earlier assessment that it's basically a theme park ride through the redditLovecraft mythos, and not particularly suited to FPS gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright, been a few years since I did a HL1 mod binge. Recommendations from, say, mid/late-2015 onwards? I'd prefer mods with some custom assets rather than vanilla retreads (e.g. Echoes [of boredom]). Or tits.

Only cool people with good taste respond, thanks.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-rats-a-fever-dream/

There is also Half Rats: Parasomnia, which I didn't have tested. It's like a mix of They Hunger with wild west setting.

Other noteworthy releases that I finished.

1. Autonomy Lost (which is the sequel of Hunt the C-nt, short but satisfying mod)
2. TWHL Tower - finished this one. It's got some mandatory stealth sections which are heavy scripted. More puzzle oriented than action.
3. Arctic Incident - nice custom graphics, simple but good enough level design. Sadly, it's very short.
4. Poke 646 Vendetta - from what I remember you have already finished P646. The sequel is very good as well, although not as long.
5. Military Duty - something that will remind you of Opposing Force.
6. Half-Life: Visitors.

A horse of course

I'm playing Killing Time right now, will check those out soon as I can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom