Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Life 2 is the 'best game of all time' according to Metacritic

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
With over 1000 positive user votes and less than 100 negative and average score being 9.5/10 Half Life 2 is at the number 1 place of 'the best games of all time'

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2

This is why probably Gabe is considered as a good guy and why Valve created good games
:hmmm:

xkqff954n8tz.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:what:

Really? Good game, but best game eva? Not in a million years!

Stinger

Arcane
Bah who cares. Everyone agrees that critic scores are full of shit and user scores are equally biased these days with far too many people voting either 1 or 10.

At this point Metacritic user score is just a really vague indicator of whether or not a game is worth buying rather than anything worth ranking.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meh...for what it's worth, better this than some EABioware, Beth or CoD crap...HL2, while inferior to the original, still added a lot in that halcyon year of FPS games(for the engines at least if not the actual games).

20 Eyes

Liturgist
This makes sense. While I've never seen many people claim Half-Life 2 was the best or their favorite game, it seems like just about everyone that played it when it came out considers it a great game. I enjoyed it and I'm not much for shooters. I do remember it looking and running like a million bucks on the dated ass PC I had at the time.

deuxhero

Arcane
I didn't. Weapons don't feel like they have any power, low ammo for everything else sticks you with shotgun, SMG and the odd Pistol headshot for 99% of the game, the "lock the player in a room while people talk but its not a cutscene because you can still run around durr" is annoying as all hell, the level design is awful (the AI is actually pretty good, but it never really shows it off thanks to the linear levels).

I'm going to blasphemy and say the vehicle segments were the best part, as at least they gave the feeling of speed and power, plus the puzzles that were part of them (dat crane) were actually fun.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, it's definately a good game, but best ever? Not in a million years, the original is better just for starters. And that's outshined long before we get to Jagged Alliance 2 territory.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm just surprised a PC game is best game evah. I also wouldn't consider HL2 best game ever, but MY TRIBE IS BEST TRIBE. TRIBE STRONG. TAKE MANY WOMEN FROM CONSOLE CAVES.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This topic has already been discussed to death. Long story short: anyone with half a brain knows HL2 is grossly overrated.

Deleted member 7219

I'd like to think everyone on the Codex would prefer Half-Life 2 being called the best game of all time instead of Oblivion or Halo.

Half-Life 2 is a shooter, yes, but a well-made one at that. It never pretended to be anything else. It is a shooter, with good characters, excellent area design and high production values.

Deleted member 7219

Halo, where you do the same thing over and over, against exactly the same kind of enemies, with no character development to speak of.

Ironically, Half Life 2 is the most uninspired, boring, and formulaic game that Valve has produced. Funny how that works out.

Other games beat it in user ratings, which is more important. Note how the user rating for Diablo 3 gives it the correct 4.0/10.

PS:T is tied with RtCW:ET for 1st with 9.6, 9.5 has games like Alpha Centauri and Thief. Half Life only manages a weak 9.2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom