Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, a Square Enix-approved rogue-like sci-fi strategy survival game

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by CyberWhale, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    Click here and disable ads!
    I think I'll wait until they patch more features in. Like the counselor class officers and pirate mini-campaign.

Of the recent Star Control name droppers (Long Journey Home, upcoming nu-Star Control, etc) I still have highest hopes about this.
    Though those hopes aren't very high.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    I give this a verdict of "not very good" (read: shit). It's railroaded as fuck, combat boils down to savescumming RNG rolls, as due to lack of any real player choice or customization, victory or defeat is decided essentially at random, resource management comes down to the boring micromanagement of flying a space truck from one truckstop to the next as there are really no decisions you can make here, and it's quite easy to render the game unplayable when you're told that you need to build X arbitrary building, but there is nowhere to build it and you can't deconstruct any redundant or obsolete buildings to make room, nor unlock additional space because it's arbitarily gated as well.

The conversations, as mentioned, are pretty much down to kthxbye, and the humor largely consists of weak attempts to emulate Star Control 2's humor without any understanding of what made Star Control 2 funny at all. The end result is that this game is schlock, pure and simple, and not in a good way. Do not remove this one from inventory if you feel the urge to try it. It's a step above "trainwreck", but not much above it. Even Interstellaria was better than this, and that game was shit.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. not an artichoke Savant

not an artichoke
    Parrots:
    No time to write much but the previous 3 reviews have said it already. I bought this & regret it. Gave me a few hours entertainment before the shallowness etc. bored me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually, I think the game still has potential, and it gets a bit better later on (but not enough, though)?
    Its biggest flaws could be remedied, by things like adding some loadout customization (to add some other choices than who to bring on a mission), or having some mutlally exclusive sidegrades instead of straight upgrades of existing skills on level up.
    The combat could be spiced up by strengthening the effects of buffs and debuffs, and making them a bit more interesting ( some of them offer interesting trade offs like the +200% damage dealt next turn coupled with a debuff increasing damage taken, but many are poorly balanced) . This would also help differentiate aliens better.
    Aliens ships could also be given strong passive effects to make them play differently.
    And having front and back ships (with front being easier to target, and back being harder, but dealing less damage) ala Infinite Space would also give a little more decision space.

Reworking the UI and removing the excessive tedium would also really help (like auto repeating missions, and autopiloting resource collection in the beginning).

btw, cheatengine speedhack makes this game much more playable (I used speed*5 to get rid of the neverending combat animations).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    Even a broken clock etc. etc...

^ Top  
  6. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    They seem committed to it for sure!
    The game gets better past act 1, but act 1 is like 60% of the game.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Monocause Cipher

Monocause
    Parrots:
    Was a bit disappointed with this one. The replayability is rather poor, the customisation options as well as synergies to explore are few and far in between. Combat becomes old fast, and since there isn't a way to speed the animations up or autoresolve, at some point you'll start trying to push towards the end asap - only to find out that you need higher tier ships, and those cost increasing amounts of resources, therefore there's a lot of grind between here and there.

Overall, it's great in concept but fails to deliver. Interestingly enough, prerelease material seemed way more ambitious than what we've got. I'm hoping they scaled down a fair bit to push it out of the door but plan to reintroduce a bunch of features as time goes by. If they add some meat to the game, I'll happily revisit.

My advice: don't buy it now but follow the dev team and see if they build on the release version in further patches. Might be worth the purchase in a couple months, at the moment - no.

^ Top  
  8. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    There is a workaround to speed the animation up:
    Install then launch Cheat engine, open Halcyon 6 process, tick : enable speedhack on the middle right of the window, set speed to *2 to *5, and voila, you're set.
    It might move a bit too fast on the strategic map, but it's much better than suffering through their agonisingly long combat animations.
    I could never have finished the game without it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Naraya Savant

Naraya
    Parrots:
    I'm going to test it in Siralim when I get back from work :)

^ Top  
  10. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    Good advice. :salute:

I used the same 'trick' to speed my research in MGS5. I have no regrets about this either. :dance:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Automatic resource generation might be a great step forward. Now if they somehow could make combat more interesting, and cut some of the filler combat...

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    No automated resource generation, one legendary officer still missing, diplomacy stat but no diplomat class, lots and lots of filler combat...how is this game still not classified as Early Access?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. da_rays Learned

da_rays
    Parrots:
    got this a few days ago and here to give my 2 cents. SO, Halcyon 6 : status effect , the game. While the concept is nice and entertaining , H6 is very grindy. Having to explore, repair , maintain and rebuild your space station is one of the good thing they did here. Ressource collection/gathering is tolerable too , with the new drones that can be built , its pretty much less an hassle now. Where you hit a wall in H6 is pretty much the encounters. Like ''rectal hammerer'' Anus pounder said above: So much filler combat! its mainly there to grind materials to make new ship/research/build rooms and space station . So you grind material on the filler combats fleet so you can prepare bigger ships to face the bigger filler combat. Each step you take foward the '' main missions objectives''' just take you to do the same thing but on a bigger scope. More filler combat of the same type vs bigger ships with more HP . It almost feel like a sandboxy game about space. While all and all its not a bad game per se , its just its very repetitive and can get old real fast. a nice example would be where my game is at. I have all my ships unlocked/research/space station in order , cleared all the objectives i had with the main ennemy of the game , and now i have more sector unlocked so i can gather more ressources to make new ships / officers / building . Ennemy are the same again , just that they are more of them . So its basically restarting a new game with just a bigger fleet , bu tim just too bored to do the same stuff i did for 250days ( in game of course hehe ) just to have 2-3 more fleets of ships and do the same things i did earlier in the game . So thats that.

TL;DR : Good concept , nice shell but a bit empty inside, put some more option ( diplomacy with others race , maintain thoses alliances and get the 2/3 of encounters, which are filler , more interesting/meaningfull toward halcyon 6 crew.) .

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    They seem to be quite dedicated to improve the game at least:
    [​IMG]
    They tease at next update bringing loadout customization for ships, and consumables. :o

^ Top  
  15. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    At the risk of protesting too much, why wasn't all this stuff in the vanilla game? (afaik, the 3rd Legendary Officer still isn't available either) Seems like the game is still in early access.

That said, I'd be willing to give the game another go a year or so from now when its feature complete.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    It's not like this is the first game that was released before even somewhat finished.
    If I didn't own the game already (from KS), I'd wait a couple months before buying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her oneself for prison Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    I think what happened is that funding run out, and they moved out of EA to get money so they can build more features in.

That being said, typical JRPG grind and difficulty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    :negative: wtf you guys, you're suppose to be reducing the grind!

^ Top  
  19. Dickie Arcane

Dickie
    Parrots:
    I just found out about this game, thanks to Steam recommending it, and I just wasn't sure. The pixel graphics are definitely a turn-off, since I play on a fairly large screen, but I could move past that. I read this thread here since I was worried that combat looked sort of drawn-out, what with the animations and ships having infinity billion HP. I saw that the difficulty settings just give the enemy ships more HP and damage, too. Tons of fun.

It does seem like the devs are committed to this game, so maybe it'll shape up into something good eventually. Here's the latest update:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/371200/announcements/detail/583615484601817948

I guess I'll check back in a few months and see what's shaking.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    There's nothing to see here. It will never improve because improvement is a physical impossibility. Once shit, always shit.

^ Top  
  21. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    i'm puzzled. there's no fun to be had with this game. Norfleet should absolutely love it.

^ Top  
  22. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    It's not fun, but it's also still SHIT.

^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This game was always on my "B" list so I never got around to it ... looks like the "actual edition" is coming in a few weeks! "To those who wait" and all that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Huh, might be worth a purchase then.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)