Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Gygax Games partner with Fig to publish a game based on Gary Gygax's unpublished "personal campaign"

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Beamdog is sending a profile of their work to the Gygax estate as we speak. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bohrain Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    Has there even been an actually good posthumous work by an author who was successful in his lifetime? Usually the stuff was unpublished because it wasn't that good to begin with.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Heretic Learned

Heretic
    Parrots:
    So he's the ultimate idea guy - "a great idea" (not even his own) but no experience with creating anything whatsoever.

This has mismanagement and failure written all over it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe Goldenera Games can save this enterprise.

• Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Maxie Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    We will be discussing Cleve's devposts with Gygax in the afterlife waiting for the release

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
  7. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    If not Obsidian, then inXile.
    If not inXile, then Larian.

If not Larian, well, I guess there's still Beamdog, or Bethesda.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I think Christopher Tolkien has done a very good job with his father's writing. Not only does he have his own academia background but he's always taken an extreme minimalist approach to changing or adding anything to the original work. The Chrildren of Hurin read as a JRR Tolkien story. Beren & Luthien was even more "minimalist" in it's approach. It felt and read more like Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-Earth type examination of his father's writings than a complete novel.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    A Battle Royale multiplatform title developed by Russians or Hungarians.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    I do plan to die alone (or with waifu, at max) at home, while playing my favourite games.
    Pretty sure that fulfills the requirement for this kind of valhalla heroism.

• :( :( x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    Be Brian Herbet
    Your dad makes you take lie detector tests every day
    If you lie, it shocks you
    Years later your dad reveals he had no mechanism for it, and just shocked you when he thought you were lying
    Tells this story at Christmases and weddings like its hilarious
    dad dies
    Find his notes
    incredible story about the butlerian jihad
    fantastic writing re: prequels
    amazing and mindblowing followup to the end of series
    burn it
    write your own books raping his legacy
    "THE BENE GESSERIT HAD A NO-SHIP 400,000 YEARS BEFORE THEY WERE IN REGULAR PRODUCTION AND MELTED IT DOWN BECAUSE IT WAS TOO STRONG"
    "GERNEY HALLACK HAD TO WATCH HIS SISTER GET GANGRAPED BY HARKONNENS BUT WILL LATER WORK WITH THEM"
    "THE BUTLERIAN JIHAD WAS NOT A RELIGIOUS AND CULTURAL UPRISING AGAINST TECHNOLOGY FORCED UPON THE POPULACE BY RELIGIOUS WACKOS, IT WAS LITERALLY A SEVERAL HUNDRED YEAR WAR AGAINST ROBOTS"
    "THE FIRST NAVIGATOR WAS ANDREA DWORKIN-TIER DISGUSTING BUT THEN SHE BECAME HOT AND STOPPED EXISTING UNTIL THE LAST BOOK"
    "LITERALLY EVERYONE WITH A NAME GETS RESURRECTED IN THE FINALE AND THEY FIGHT AN EPIC BATTLE AGAINST THE ROBOTS WHO WEREN'T KILLED FOR REASONS"
    "HERES AN ENTIRE SUPER CREEPY PLOTLINE ABOUT WOMEN BEING TURNED INTO FAKE SPICE PRODUCING MACHINES, LIKE THE SPICE COMES OUT OF THEIR VAGINA OR SOMETHING, I DUNNO HAHA *SNORTS COKE OFF ROYALTY CHECK*"

In all seriousness, Gygax is such a strange duck to pick at for fantasy inspiration. Like, his original campaigns and shit were weird and have been recreated before. Castle Greyhawk is fucking strange, with no real logical layout to any of it, he just devised a random dungeon generator and so there's no real thematic consistency to most of his work. I never saw the stuff he made for castles and crusades tho, it might be decent. I remember he made an RPG I bought a few years back that was atrocious tho.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the most scammy game ever, because:

"
    During his time with TSR, Gygax had often mentioned the mysterious Castle Greyhawk which formed the centre of his own home campaign. But despite all of his written output over the previous 30 years, Gygax had never published details of the castle. In 2003, Gygax announced that he was again partnering with Rob Kuntz to publish the original and previously unpublished details of Castle Greyhawk and the City of Greyhawk in 6 volumes, although the project would use the rules for Castles and Crusades rather than D&D. As Gygax wrote in an on-line forum: "I have laid out a new schematic of castle and dungeon levels based on both my original design of 13 levels plus side adjuncts, and the 'New Greyhawk Castle' that resulted when Rob and I combined our efforts and added a lot of new levels too. From that Rob will draft the level plans for the newest version of the work. Meantime, I am collecting all the most salient feature, encounters, tricks, traps, etc. for inclusion on the various levels. So the end result will be what is essentially the best of our old work in a coherent presentation usable by all DMs, the material having all the known and yet to be discussed features of the original work that are outstanding... I hope."[56] Since Wizards of the Coast, which had bought TSR in 1997, still owned the rights to the name "Greyhawk", Gygax changed the name of Castle Greyhawk to "Castle Zagyg", a reverse homophone of his own name, and also changed the name of the nearby city to "Yggsburgh", a play on his initials "E.G.G."[8]:208

The scale of the project was enormous: By the time Gygax and Kuntz had stopped working on their original home campaign, the castle dungeons had encompassed 50 levels of cunningly complex passages with thousands of rooms and traps. This, plus plans for the city of Yggsburgh and encounter areas outside the castle and city, would clearly be too much to fit into the proposed 6 volumes. Gygax decided he would compress the castle dungeons into 13 levels, the size of his original Castle Greyhawk in 1973[57] by amalgamating the best of what could be gleaned from binders and boxes of old notes.[58] However, neither Gygax nor Kuntz had kept careful or comprehensive plans. Because they had often made up details of play sessions on the spot,[59] they usually just scribbled a quick map as they played, with cursory notes about monsters, treasures, and traps.[60] These sketchy maps had contained just enough detail that the two could ensure their independent work would dovetail. All of these old notes now had to be deciphered, 25-year-old memories dredged up as to what had happened in each room, and a decision made whether to keep or discard each new piece.[61] Recreating the city too would be a challenge. Although Gygax still had his old maps of the original city, all of his previously published work on the city was owned by WotC, so he would have to create most of the city from scratch while still maintaining the "look and feel" of his original.[62]"

TL;DR: It's all owned by Wizards of the Coast, so unless they're backing this, they can't make a Greyhawk game without getting sued. I mean, you know how Pillars of Eternity was billed as the Baldur'sGateIceWindDalePlanescapeTorment game, but it kind of ended up being its own thing? That's what this is gonna be, except instead of being 'like" those games, it's like David Gaider launching a kickstarter to re-make Baldur's Gate 1 with the "original notes" and none of the trademarks from BG. I expect a lot of disappointment.

^ Top  
  12. Van-d-all Learned

Van-d-all
    Parrots:
    Only if it also has pirates and naval combat.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darkzone Magister

Darkzone
    Parrots:
    The name "Greyhawk" is owned by WotC, but not the castle Zagyg and Yggsburgh and neither Gygax. And if there are 50 levels of the castle and some scetches of Yggsburgh then this could be quite the cRPG.
    I see rather the problem in the brand recognition of Gygax, because besides the hardcore of the 40-50 year old RPG players this name is rather obscure the most of the younger players.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    That and they don't really care. Most of the youngers who do know Gygax's name have associated it with obtuse dickhole-tier design like the Tomb of Horrors(ironically, because he was the original monty haul DM)

^ Top  
  15. LeStryfe79 Wino Patron

LeStryfe79
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

^ Top  
  16. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    my bet is on caching name awareness after ready player one movie.
    He just didnt get the memo that dnd was removed entirely...

^ Top  
  17. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't go so far. felipepepe gave talks in 'game dev schools' where 'elder scrolls fans' legit never heard of anything pre-Oblivion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    Gary Gygax is listed among the dedications in Grimoire.

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Little offtop.
    Show Spoiler
    In Russaia, they called "literary Negro".
    Is this "ghostwriter" some kind of tolerant newspeak, how ald that name?

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    baud look up felipepepe's articles on Gamasutra.

^ Top  
  21. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    BTW, the vast majority of them know nothing about Richard Garriott either and never had to curiosity to even TRY to play pre-90s PC games.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Naveen Arcane

Naveen
    Parrots:

The article seems to imply it's some super-secret setting, but this just looks like Greyhawk to me. I doubt he bothered creating much backstory or "lore"either; it's probably just a lot of dungeon levels and nasty corridors filled with ecologically-sound combination of monsters like Gelatinous Cubes, Kobolds, exploding zombies, and a few ankle-slicing traps and orbs of disintegration to spice up the encounter. Also, it probably follows an old D&D rules system (1st AD&D or something,) and those are hard to translate into computer games (as played by Gygax et al. at least)​

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Why would they? Assuming they are in their teens now they wouldn't have even heard of this stuff, particularly if they do not have easy access to games in the first place.

^ Top  
  24. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Because they're betting their future on a career in games, so one would expect they have SOME curiosity about its history?

I was a video editor for almost 10 years, I worked with a lot of young & aspiring movie directors, producers and editors and they all had a deep respect for the medium and its history. I just don't see that in video games, and that's extremely sad.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    I do not disagree, I just think that it's natural to have difficulty in hating knowledge about video games, compared to movies and such. Definitely a sad thing, however.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)