Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Will there be sex cards?

ColCol

Arcane
Excited for the single player campaign as I'm a sucker for card battle games with campaigns, Like the Pokemon Tcg on game boy. Never seems to be enough games in this genre.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mfw don't get the beta invite

JUUN8bZ.jpg

I got in. Seems pretty decent. Most of the spy/decoy spam has been reduced, though Northern Realms still seems like the best deck by quite a bit due to how easy it is for them to stack high numbers. All of the other decks have to work with combos and carefully timed specials to avoid getting slammed by scorch or some of the new damage cards, but NR can kind of just throw stuff onto the field and it'll be better than whatever the other deck is using. Past that, the rate of getting new cards is insanely slow, though I didn't play enough Hearthstone or Elder Scrolls Legends to know how it compares long-term.

One change of note is that there are a few more random cards. Nothing on the level of Hearthstone's insane bullshit, but a few cards do have random effects. That was true of at least one element in TW3 Gwent (the Monster faction power, there might be more, not sure) but I believe CDPR straight-up said that they want matches to be more dynamic and exciting than simply looking to play the same numerically superior cards every single time. I'm not really sure what I think of this particular feature. Certainly makes matches more exciting, but there was already plenty of luck involved in drawing well. Oh, and now both players draw 2 cards on round 2, and 1 card on round 3. Again, not really sure what to think of that particular change until I get a better feel for how it changes deck structure.

There are a few glitches right now, but it's fairly okay for a closed beta. Seems like it'll be worth paying attention to but if not played immediately, it's not like anybody's missing something amazing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Didn't get in the Closed Beta.

Same, although I think they'll be handing them out for awhile.

In retrospect, I should have used my GOG email. I read somewhere that those get extra attention with the keys.

Gerrard

Arcane
I still say they should've made it 3 out of 5 and design around that. The current format makes it snowball too much.

bonescraper

I just played my 1st match and i won by pure fucking luck (because i just assumed i know it all from TW3 and didn't pay attention to some new additions). I won the first round but the guy kept pushing hard and we used up most of our cards. I lost the second round cause i forgot hero cards can't be scorched, and i lost my best card that gave me the advantage. So get this, i lost my 2nd round, had 0 cards while the guy i was playing with still had 2 remaining. But, to my surprise, the end-round after effects on some of my own cards left me with a nice score, i got 1 scorch card, so i got rid of his best card he played and i managed to win by 2 points. With technically 0 cards in the third round :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just got an email giving me access to the Gwent closed beta.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Got in on the first wave, haven't played much because I don't want to get burned and get all my cards wiped at the end of the beta.

It's cool, requires more mindgames than Hearthstone or Magic, however I feel like a good card has much more impact than in similar games, with gold cards being immune to 98% of effects on the game, so it can feel frustrating to play against expensive decks. Your mileage may vary, as I've only really played with one type of deck, but I feel like here there's no "cheap but effective" deck strategy.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I'm not really impressed tbh. I've played some CCG and this seems... bland. There's nothing really original, the mechanics are pretty banal and boring, the "flametongue kavu" mechanic that was added and that's not in the videogame is ok but nothing really interesting or revolutionary, mostly it's still about having powerful cards and a bunch of decoys and card draw...
for now i don't really care much about this game...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just bought a closed beta key for 18 rubles which is $0.28. Just saying, if anyone else was waiting for a key like me and got tired of waiting.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm playing, totally forgot I signed up for the Beta and my key ended up in my spam folder, lol.

I don't know the first thing about card games, I'm totally freaked out by the random drawing and have no idea how to design my deck. I played some Hearthstone and sucked at that too.

Anyway, from a complete noob's perspective, here's a few points:

- some cards have attributes like Relentless/Loyal and nowhere on the card it says what the fuck it means, nowhere in the card shop or anywhere else. I guess it's a flag used by other cards but I can't know that.
- compared to HearthStone which is like the only game I played, there doesn't seem to be that many cards now
- can't click on the enemy's last used card even though it's displayed in the interface, makes learning new cards harder
- general lack of explanation of cards so I just go and use whatever card I don't understand the effect of to learn it. I don't know, I really am a complete beginner so maybe all those things are completely obvious.
- the progression seems slow to me, you only get something when you win and it's not all that much, you can send GG and the opponent receives a little reward too. It's my main source of income because I suck so bad. Guess I'm used to getting a participation award :M
- the art is ok, game lagged out a few times, connection lost, got bugged and had to restart when zooming in on a card but it's beta
- as TheChickenKing said, the Norther Realms seem to be a bit more powerful by the nature of the faction playing with itself - turning own cards to gold which then become untouchable and you basically need to either wipe them out completely or do the same thing, stack your powerful units really high but good luck if they get scorched which the enemies golden cards can't get. Again, I'm a beginner so don't take me too seriously.
- while the cards are indeed not as retarded as HearthStone, I feel like there could be a little more variety
- I know it's supposed to be a friendly relaxing game so they don't have any chat but fuck it I'd like to be able to say something when I lose 79 to 78

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom